brabzzz

'Real' canopy sizes and pack volumes

Hello,
the (long!) link below shows the most comprehensive table of pack volumes and 'relative' canopy sizes i've stumbled across, measured the same way I presume. What is you take on this lot?

http://www.my-skyworld.de/albatros/english/canopysizing.asp?mscssid=RF5SEQBA7J018P3KSSMVU6TXEMSV996C&tn=8

That basically explains why PD's are fairly bulky - the 170's actually a '179' - but not why the PdF merit/electra 190 looks so goddamn small above your head, packs tiny but is 'actually' a 190!

On that note, how does the Sabre2 170 compare pack volume wise to a Sabre 170?

Arghhhh.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Looks to me like this is the version that precision used when they used to produce the first generation safire and omega that Icarus has since replaced with pd's current version. A safire 209 is 209^ft but a sabre190 is 199^ft. if you look at it the other way a sabre190 is 190^ft and a safire 209 is 194^ft. dont know about the pack volumes though.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

From the top of the table. "Caution: ALBATROS-SKYWORLD has no control over these statistics. For general comparison only.
This volume chart has been put together from many sources using various methods of measurements. These statistics should be considered only to be approximate volumes."

These aren't any better than any other similar data table. Remember that individual canopies my differ in volume by up to 10%. That means that a big version of a particular canopy may pack bigger than a small version of the next size up. Each canopy/container combination is unique. If you push the limits of published container sizes (i.e. pick the absolute biggest resere that anybody tells you might fit in a particular size rig) you risk having problems. And making your rigger mad.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

But again, even with the RI data, limited sample size (number of canopies tested) and the variability of the volume between identical models still make the data limited in utility. If at the limits, any individual set may or may not fit together.

Terry
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE