wes

Jedei

I know this has probably been covered before but I've been on the lookout for a second rig and one has come up with a Jedei 120 from 1997 which I'm goin to test jump. I currently jump a springo 120 and I'm just wondering what to expect from the Jedei.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Jedei's are weird canopies since they under went many revisions during their production. The time when your Jedei was made will determine what it flies like.

I LOVE mine and compare it to a stiff Stiletto with a longer recovery arc with snappier riser turns. Very cool canopy.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yep, a lot of the Jedeis from that time were prototypes that Brian played with for his "new" design, the Samurai.

My Jedei is probably different from Phree's, and both are probably different from the one you may buy.

Fly it...I bet you'll like it... B|

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Last year I was thinking about buying a used Jedei for a second rig. After talking to Brian about the Jedei I realized I was better off buying a new Samurai.

Like Phree and BikerBabe said, there is some minor variance from jedei to jedei over the the entire production line. If you like the one you demo jump, buy it.:)
Ken

"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

And there is also the "Cult of the Jedei". Those are the people who are so enamored over them they won't jump anything else. Some of them have even recently talked Brian into pulling out his patterns and making new Jedei's for a select few.

Maybe fanatical is a better term.;)

Kris

Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

And there is also the "Cult of the Jedei". Those are the people who are so enamored over them they won't jump anything else. Some of them have even recently talked Brian into pulling out his patterns and making new Jedei's for a select few.
Maybe fanatical is a better term.;)

Such a loyal following says something about a canopy, though.....

I love my Samurai, and though i'm not so fanatical that i won't ever jump anything else... i have little desire to own anything else as a primary canopy.

(primary as in not specifically for CRW/demo/accuracy/crosscountry)

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

I wouldn't be too concerned. It's hard to be precise about Jedei flight characteristics. The canopy has been tweeked and modifies as many times as Carter has liver pills. I demo'd a Springo and it opened and flew better then the Jedei I used to own.
i think all the air -locked canopy's claims are just hype.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Some of them have even recently talked Brian into pulling out his patterns and making new Jedei's for a select few.

I spoke with Brian at WFFC about the samurai. He knew I flew a jedei as he'd just done the reline for me, and freefly offered to build me a new jedei if I didn't like the samurai as much. Brian's awesome.

Out of curiousity why not use a Samurai for cross country jumps? Not that I do a lot of those (1 in 200 jumps about) but does it descend that quickly? Any issues getting back from a long spot?

Out of curiousity why not use a Samurai for cross country jumps? Not that I do a lot of those (1 in 200 jumps about) but does it descend that quickly? Any issues getting back from a long spot?

oh, i do and have used my sam for crosscountry jumps, but something big and really glidy will get one further.... i'm talking take it out 15 miles crosscountry :)

which a sam COULD do if the winds were right.... but my ass uder a sabre 230 is gonna glide farther than my ass under a sam150 me thinks.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

oh, i do and have used my sam for crosscountry jumps, but something big and really glidy will get one further.... i'm talking take it out 15 miles crosscountry :)

which a sam COULD do if the winds were right.... but my ass uder a sabre 230 is gonna glide farther than my ass under a sam150 me thinks.

The 230 may glide further but you might also fall asleep on the ride. If you want a sunday cruise in the family sedan and 3 beers - go with the big canopy for the cross country. If you want to take the sports car out for a long spin . . . . .

The 230 may glide further but you might also fall asleep on the ride. If you want a sunday cruise in the family sedan and 3 beers - go with the big canopy for the cross country. If you want to take the sports car out for a long spin . . . . .

I agree completely..... however you say that as if you think i wouldn't ACTUALLY be carrying the 3 beers. :P

Last year I did a X-country (8 mi from 10,500) under my VX 89 loaded at well over 2.4 along with a big friend (245# before gear) under a Manta. He made the mistake of releasing his brakes. I flew along using rear risers with the brakes still set and stayed with him nicely. Closer to home, I released my brakes and just used rear risers. Very easy to stay up with him but had to work to fly as slow. Caught a few thermals and even gained some altitude. No problems getting back and then some. I have several longer x-country flights under amy Jedei 136 and have never come up short with mixed loads that included Sabres, Tri's, Diablos, Stilettos, etc., all at various wing loadings. A good, efficient canopy is an advantage and all the more with a skilled pilot under it. I'll never sell my Jedei.
alan