Spy38W

Use a Cameye?

I was recently talking to somebody about adding a Cameye to my helmet, and it was suggested that I don't really need one (read: He doesn't use one, and thinks he's better off for it.)

So, as it is now I guess I'm going to try playing with the camera without one for awhile to see if I can get a good routine going for turning on/hitting record without the aid of the visual light. Any tips from those jumping without one would be appreciated.

I'm going to be shooting Freefly mostly, and maybe tandem when I get more experience with the camera.1

--
Hook high, flare on time

If all you are doing is jumping with a camera strapped to you ff helmet you may not need one...

but...

when you have to kown the camera is on (competition, paid student work, etc), you should have a light. It does not need to be a CamEye, but a light that tells you when you are recording and when you are not...

they are not that expensive, and imho, working w/o one is unprofessional.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I used one for a while then my camera broke... that meant the cameye did'nt work anymore. I kept jumping the camera and i missed a few jumps since I was'nt paying attention to the battery and the tape status. I ran out of tape in freefall once and the battery died on exit once. If I had a Cameye on for either of these jumps I would have known the situation before exit and could have fixed it. I could have either not turned the camera on untill I was all the way climbed out in both cases to maximize the time or could have changed the media/battery on the ground.

I think if you are going to be making money off of your videos (read tandem videos) you can not really afford to be with out some sort of record indicator. I've seen people put mirrors on their altimeter to look at their camera, I've seen people run a piece of fiber optic from the record light to hang in their eye.

The price of a Cameye is made up the first time you climb out with the camera in stand by and catch it before the exit. Having to explain to someone that you forgot to hit record on their first jump is something that I'd rather not have to do.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have a CAM-EYE and I've gotta tell ya, it's one of the best investments I've made in fliming.
I know beyond a doubt that my camera is on, and funtioning. I know without a doubt that it is recording when I climb out on the step. I would suggest everyone get one, especially when you need to get the shots, paod for or otherwise. Fumbling around as you're headed for the door is one thing that you don't need. When I first started, I had a video camera that didn't have one. WHAT A MISTAKE IT WAS!!! I missed quite a lot of skydives, because of auto-off's and just plain missing the button.

Do yourself a favor, spend a few extra bucks and make sure that when you clim out, you know what your camera is doing.
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

I have a CAM EYE and I think it is the best thing in the world. Before I had one I had my camera shut off twice on climbout for some weird reason. Who knows, maybe I knocked the record button. Now I have a great light, one that is clearly visible in the sunshine also. So now when I get out and the tandem or 4 way is climbing out I can check it again. IF you are being paid, you should have one.

~45

I've got one of the 'orig' cam-eye ii's before the software rev. I had a PC1 and the cam-eye worked great (on/off/rec/standby.) My PC1 broke and I got a PC9...and the old software didn't control the PC9, but it does work as rec indicator light, which is all that I really need.

-Tommy

He doesn't use one, and thinks he's better off for it.

How would not having a cameye make you "better off"? It gives a clear indication of what your camera is doing, it allows you to control your camera with one button that you can mount in any spot you like, and it warns you when you are running low on tape or battery. Why would you not want one? Does your friend possibly have a camera without a lanc port? I know some people at my dz that have JVC or Panasonic cameras that do not have lanc ports and they can't use the cameye because of it. Bummer.

Skydive Radio

He doesn't use one, and thinks he's better off for it.

How would not having a cameye make you "better off"? It gives a clear indication of what your camera is doing, it allows you to control your camera with one button that you can mount in any spot you like, and it warns you when you are running low on tape or battery. Why would you not want one? Does your friend possibly have a camera without a lanc port? I know some people at my dz that have JVC or Panasonic cameras that do not have lanc ports and they can't use the cameye because of it. Bummer.

Eh, to clarify, it was a guy who does not speak english as a primary language, this is a quote of the email that was exchanged:

"but, my suggest: you dont need the cameye..."

there wasn't really any more that could be counted as context clues included with it. I guess I'll email him back and try to get a clarification of his perspective from him, and see if there might be something to share. I was planning on getting a Cameye anyway, just because I am overly paranoid, and would like the reassurance of the visual indicator. I just wasn't sure if the no Cameye opinion might be more popular than I had thought.

--
Hook high, flare on time

I also jump with a CamEye and it's great: no asking people if your recording light is on, no fumbling around with gloves on. The best thing about it is the amount of tape and battery I save by being able to stop/start so easily. Get one!

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I love my cameye, it lets me know if my camera is on and lets me put it in and out of standby without touching the switch. What's not to like about knowing what your camera is doing when it's on top of your head and you can't look through the viewfinder.

Blue Skies,
Adam
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Do you guys remember (not THAT long ago) what a pain it was pre Cam Eye?

Camera guys always trying to find someone before exit, and ask (Can U see a red Light?....."what?" CAN U SEE THE LIGHT"....what? hehe")

The highspeed guys had the photo sensitive LED's. Had to mount and wire a small batery pack somewhere, then tape the sensor over the red light on the camera.... They worked great as long as no sunlight made it in to the sensor...

there really is no reason not to have one. I've saved 2 video's by seeing that I managed to bump my camera off in freefall.

Z

I've got one of the 'orig' cam-eye ii's before the software rev. I had a PC1 and the cam-eye worked great (on/off/rec/standby.) My PC1 broke and I got a PC9...and the old software didn't control the PC9, but it does work as rec indicator light, which is all that I really need.

-Tommy

If you contact Skytools they usually replace the old ones with the new ones free of charge. They have the best customer service of any company I have delt with. I had a plug go bad from wear and tear and they sent me 2 free of charge.
Cameye Rocks.
Ray

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Yes I DO have a cam-eye ll on my camera now....
for years though, I carried a small folding pocket mirror... it was kept in a jumpsuit pocket and I would take it out after donning the helmet and as we were approaching the exit....I could open it, look in it and clearly see the red indicator light that is on the Front of Most SONY equipment... I always had a good feel for the cameras' control switches,,, and therefore usually knew when I was in standby mode... The mirror let me know when I was in record mode , then went
back into my pocket for exit..... Never had to ask anybody, "Is My light ON???"... Plus I often used to find a pretty girl in the plane, and ask her, "Do you wanna see something beautiful??????.".. If she said "Yes",,, then I would turn the mirror around and have her look into it, only to see herself.... ;). hahahahaha...... Made quite a few friends that way....!!!...
I also listened to my share of my buddies askin' me "How's your Makeup???".time and time again:S..hahaha
but for $2.99
it was an effective and functional approach to checking my own indicator lights..worked for me for years....I could even remove it from my pocket while under canopy and carefully check, when I would relight my cameras at say 7 or 800 feet AGL...so I could shoot a couple of spirals and then the landing swoop... But as for the cam eye .... yes... you should have one for each camera that you skydive with..If the technology is there and has proven itself,,, it should be used,,, it is well worth it........:)jimmytavino