Magistr8

Helmet cameras

Rule number one: never strap anything to your head you cant get rid of NOW.
Rule number 2: Sony is the only camera I have seen stand up well to the abuse skydivers inflict on them.
Rule number 3: Don't fuck with people who fuck with people for a living.

You couldn't pay me to jump that set up.

I just hope it doesn't kill you.

Z

Pretty simple really. My comments were directed at a guy that was just starting out and would more than likely be just flying a single video camera for awhile. As a matter of fact, this guy isn't even completely certain he's going to jump camera yet.

OK I can see that, I just took a bit of offense as to your choice of wording "Top mount stuff is less expensive". The TRV18 would never even be considered in my collection ;)

Speaking of PC series, that 120 is coming down in price and may have to replace my 100 pretty soon.

What cameras do you currently jump?

Michael

I'll be videotaping a nekkid Tandem

I tell you, I'm looking forward to buying that "first" case of beer. Yeah, it's amusing, but I've given up trying to convince folks of anything unless I've interacted with them a few times.

Did you get that commercial gig? Are you rich and famous? Can I get your autograph?:ph34r:

You know what's funny under Photography and Video? : Michael Bess-newbie

Bwahaha!

You know what's funnier? : Deuce-veteran

Pfttwhaaaahaaabwah!:S:S:S

Michael --

Easily 90 percent of what I shoot is 4-way, so I don't need -anything- approaching the quality of a VX-2000 on a day-to-day basis. My TRV10 is doing just fine even after 3 years of fairly heavy use.

That said, I'm also jumping (of all things) a Canon D60 for the other 10 percent of the stuff I do for big-ways. So, kinda schizoid on the quality issues huh? ;)

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Rule number one: never strap anything to your head you cant get rid of NOW.

I've never seen a camera mount as disposable as you suggest, but I've already acknowledged this problem with my setup. It's easily remedied. The velcro attachment alone is rated to hold the camera in place in 200 mph winds.

Rule number 2: Sony is the only camera I have seen stand up well to the abuse skydivers inflict on them.

Sony gets high marks from everyone I ask, but I've had good luck with the Canon, and a mountain climber recommended it to me.

Rule number 3: Don't fuck with people who fuck with people for a living.

If I were sheepish enough to follow this advice, I wouldn't by skydiving.

You couldn't pay me to jump that set up.

I wouldn't pay you to jump with it, so we have at least one point of agreement.

I just hope it doesn't kill you.

So does my mother, but you haven't offered much practical criticism of the device. The cute one-liners go in one ear and out the other.

>I've never seen a camera mount as disposable as you suggest, but I've already acknowledged this problem with my setup

One hand removal is key on a helmet. If there is a snag you want to be able to make one attempt at clearing and have it work. I have a cutaway system on my helmet that is spring loaded, one pull of the handle and the entire assembly is free to be lifted off my head. Very clean and simple.

You don't want to lose just the mount, you want to lose the entire helmet.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

ALl of the camera tops at my DZ can get their gear off in less than one second, and all But one, just need one had to do so. Of course you have to PRACTICE getting it off so you can do so quickly and while snagged up.

Mtn. Climber reccomended a camera.... They don't deal with the vibration we do, rapid pressure changes, high winds, or repeated openning shock. I can't think of many people who abuse cameras like we do. You will see over time. everyone i know who used to have a JVC or cannon DV camera has since changed to sony.

I really don't think you understand the importance of being able to get rid of your helmet. That WIRE that attaches from your camera to your helmet is what bothers me. If you snag, you have to be able to get rid of the whole thing now. And yes, one single wire is enough to keep you from doing so. We lose several camera tops EVERY YEAR to snagging and not clearning their snag before bounce time. i have a great picture in my head of you trying to unplug your camera whith 10 microlines covering your head.

It bothers me when I see people get camera gear just because they can.... Like Quade said, this shit is real, and it isn't just like making another skyidve.

You might benefit from sitting down with people who know a thing or two about this. I bet Quade will tell you to kiss his ass (and rightly so), but Show up to the Christmas boogie at Eloy, and I"d be more than happy to sit down and talk over a beer or 4. THis stuff is fun, but there is a lot u need to understand to make it safe.

You will see over time. everyone i know who used to have a JVC or cannon DV camera has since changed to sony.

I will see over time, but the past is prologue. Canon makes a good product in my experience.

I really don't think you understand the importance of being able to get rid of your helmet.

Since I've acknowledge this point many times now, you'll probably never think so.

That WIRE that attaches from your camera to your helmet is what bothers me.

Only a piece of duct tape attaches the wire to the helmet. The wire attaches to the camera which attaches to a camera housing. The camera housing attaches to the helmet with heavy-duty velcro, ignoring the bungies. I've been convinced to remove the bungies. I can easily pull the camera from its velcro mount with one hand. If a line did snag the camera, the line itself would probably pull the camera off its mount.

i have a great picture in my head of you trying to unplug your camera whith 10 microlines covering your head.

I don't need to unplug the camera. I can pull the whole camera mount from the helmet with one hand. Only a strip of velcro remains.

It bothers me when I see people get camera gear just because they can....

I considered the hazards carefully before getting the gear. I chose the smaller, detached camera because I'm a novice. I fly very cautiously.

You might benefit from sitting down with people who know a thing or two about this.

As I've already noted repeatedly, I've discussed the setup with my DZO, who is a tandem instructor, an AFF instructor, a rigger, a pilot and a camera flyer himself. He has actually seen the setup. He has seen me use it. He has jumped with me as I used it. He helped me rig the camcorder harness I wear around my waist. He even expressed interest in a similar setup himself. Another very experienced skydiver at my DZ has already bought the same device. I take the advice of these guys much more seriously than advice I'm getting here, because these guys know me, and I know them, and they have actually seen the equipment in operation. I've done the forums thing, so I know how much forum advice is worth, especially when a bunch of old-timers strut their stuff for a newbie.

I bet Quade will tell you to kiss his ass (and rightly so) ...

Quade may say whatever he likes. I'm not easily offended.

THis stuff is fun, but there is a lot u need to understand to make it safe.

I'm very cautious. I'm know I'm in the very early stages of learning this discipline. Look at the video I linked. I'm nowhere near the other skydivers, and I throw out on my belly.

And thats Joe Jennings and Martin. They each have a few thousand more camera jumps then probally most this site put together does. Experience and time in the sport does count for a lot more then most people think it does.

I would never talk to my DZO or my STA about cameras since they could give a shit less about them for the most part. I had to help set up my STA's helmet since he just bought an assembled kits and started jumping it. The people you need to talk to are those that make their living on nothing but camera work. Joe is a really cool guy that might even answer your questions if you email him. Tony Hathaway is another good one th that pops in here time to time. Brent Finley is the maker of some of the best optics and seems very willing to answer helmet and optic questions. Seek out opinions from the top of the sport and not just your local DZ. Bonehead can explain to you why they require experience to sell belly mount gear to.

One question, what happens if a line wraps the camera and stays stuck to it after you release it from the helmet?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Experience and time in the sport does count for a lot more then most people think it does.

I have great respect for Jennings and Martijn and would never try to use the gear they use. That's my point.

I would never talk to my DZO or my STA about cameras since they could give a shit less about them for the most part.

On the other hand, my DZO is one of the best camera flyers I know. His tandem videos are the consistently among the best I see. I have good reason to respect his advice.

The people you need to talk to are those that make their living on nothing but camera work.

Dude, you don't even know who my DZO is. You've probably never met him. You've never seen his video work. You don't know him from Adam. Your advice couldn't possibly be well-informed.

Joe is a really cool guy that might even answer your questions if you email him.

I'd love to talk to Joe Jennings. Good Stuff is one of my favorite DVDs. I'll get a lot more attention from my DZO and other local camera flyers. My DZO and another professional camera flyer are two of the guys tossing the ball in the video I linked. I have already consulted the professionals in my area. Why you think I haven't is a question only you can answer.

Seek out opinions from the top of the sport and not just your local DZ.

That's why I'm here. So far, I'm not getting much specificity, only a lot of knee-jerk negativity.

Bonehead can explain to you why they require experience to sell belly mount gear to.

Which belly mount gear? Why don't you explain it? My camcorder pack is six inches long and three inches deep. I know plenty of skydivers with bigger pot bellies.

http://www.knology.net/~marbrock/Pack.jpg

One question, what happens if a line wraps the camera and stays stuck to it after you release it from the helmet?

Considering the tension in my lines, the camera probably breaks loose from the wire and falls to the ground, but I don't really see what on the camera a line could snag in this way.

http://www.knology.net/~marbrock/Camera.jpg

If the wire wraps around a line, I don't expect anything very terrible to happen either, but if a tangle were bad enough, I might have a problem. Obviously, I'd try to clear it. I'm not ignoring the risks of camera work, but my risk seems much smaller than the risk a conventional helmet mounted camcorder, not to mention the gear a professional like Jennings flies.

My reserve might fail after a cut away too, and I might wrap lines with another canopy, and I might turn too low and hook in. I'm careful to avoid all of these risks, but I might die in a skydiving accident tomorrow. I might die in an automobile accident too.

I keep looking at your system and more and more question keep popping into my head.

How acurrately and repeatable do you think the placement of your camera is if you detach it and reattach it?

How much camera shake do you think you're getting due to the Gath helmet?

What are you using for a sight?

BTW, none of this should be taken as accusatory in nature. I really do want to know what kind of performance you're able to get.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

once again.... i still dont' think we are on the same page. Nice vid. of you gettingi the lens off the helmet (yea, it comes off TOO easy like that if u ask me, you thought a floating pud was bad, how would u like that thing slamming arouond in your burble...could make things interesting at pull time). It doesn't take much of a snag , or a strong snag for something to be enough to get you killed. If you snaged your lense on your helmet, and you pulled it off (or it was pulled off) you are STILL attached to it by the cable, thus, the snag is still attached to you, and flying right where you are about to dump your reserve into before you kill yourself. Not only would you stilll be atached, but instead of just having to get your helmet off to fix the problem, now all the mess will be somewhere likely above and behind you.....lets trhow more gasoline on the fire! Even if the wire will pull loose or break at 5-10lbs...thats enough to get you in heaps of trouble.
Old timmers who like to show off for newbies huh? Well, I"m 23, I guess that makes me old, and if you ask just about everyone in this forum, they would probaly say that they would perfer that a newbie not even jump with a camera until they are not newbies anymore.
Some of us old farts have lost friends and family over stupid things like this. This isn't about Ego man. I"m not telling you that your gear isn't safe, I just want you to understand what makes things safe or not safe so you can make your own decision. Again, it's an issue of scope.
I really don't think you understand the scope of what's going on, and thats not a good thing in skydiving.,...and really not a good thing when you strap crap to your head and go take peoples pictures.

Oh yea, Quade had some really good points in his last post to you. things to think about.

Z

How acurrately and repeatable do you think the placement of your camera is if you detach it and reattach it?

So far, the velcro attachment is holding up well, but I expect to replace it at some point. I can remove the velcro from the camera mount and helmet and replace it.

How much camera shake do you think you're getting due to the Gath helmet?

The Gath fits very snugly, so I haven't noticed much camera shake. I've only done one video close enough to another skydiver to notice, a two-way to practice swooping. The close-up was as steady as the camera flyer, which isn't saying much.

http://www.knology.net/~marbrock/Swoop180.wmv

What are you using for a sight?

I'm not using a sight at this point. I spent several dives finding a good position for the camera on the helmet. Since I'm not focusing on close-ups currently, I'm not so concerned with perfect framing, but I'll need a sight eventually. My flying still needs a lot of work, so a sight is the least of my problems. Until I can reliably frame an exit, I'm not ready for tandem videos.

I really do want to know what kind of performance you're able to get.

Thus far, I'm happy with the performance. My ultimate goal is to offer streaming video as an alternative to, or in addition to, the conventional tandem video. I'll shoot a video and hand the tandem student a web address rather than a video tape. They'll find their video on the web, so they can mail links to their friends, and their web page could also feature freefall stills, other media of the dropzone, their instructor, links to other skydiving sites and so on.

In the not-too-distant future, I expect this approach largely to replace conventional videos, although many students will also want tapes for quite a while. I know the web technology, but I won't do anything professionally for at least a year, because my flying skills aren't good enough. By the time I'm ready, solid state, digital camcorders could also be ready for this application, but I need to train now.

In the near future, I expect tandem students also to wear cameras. Solid state cameras will be small enough for this application, so a typical tandem video will combine shots from two cameras. I flew with a tandem hangglider and wore my camera a few weeks ago, so I have the experience on tape from my own perspective. More skydivers generally will wear cameras in the future, and professional videos will become more sophisticated as videographers use multiple cameras and focus more on multimedia and the web.

it comes off TOO easy like that if u ask me, you thought a floating pud was bad, how would u like that thing slamming arouond in your burble...could make things interesting at pull time

That's why I used the bungies. The attachment has been tested in 200 mph winds, but the test was on a motorcycle, so the wind was parallel to the length of the camera. The seller was very up-front about it. I'll try jumping with only the velcro at some point, but I share your concern. The wire from the camera to the camcorder is not large, so I'm also worried about losing the camera. The camera wouldn't dangle far above me, because the wire is threaded through my chest strap without a lot of slack. The other guy at my dropzone with one of these cameras secures it to his helmet further with duct tape, and I'll probably follow his lead.

It doesn't take much of a snag , or a strong snag for something to be enough to get you killed.

Snags are a concern with any setup, but I don't think snagging is a particularly large problem with my setup. I think my setup is less likely to snag than most helmet mounted camcorders I see. Experienced skydivers who have actually seen the device agree.

... you are STILL attached to it by the cable, thus, the snag is still attached to you

You're right, but the camera housing doesn't expose much on which to snag. The camera lense is inside the housing. The housing has a transparent window with no ridges. It does have small screws, but I can't see a line snagging one of them.

... flying right where you are about to dump your reserve into before you kill yourself.

Writing "kill yourself" over and over again doesn't impress me; otherwise, I wouldn't be skydiving at all. I'm not oblivious to the risks, and I'm not a reckless skydiver.

... now all the mess will be somewhere likely above and behind you.....lets trhow more gasoline on the fire!

Again, the risks of this discipline are relative. I'm not avoiding all risk of snags, but I'm not taking the risk of a camcorder on my head either. Clearly, I need to attach the camera to my helmet securely, and I better appreciate the need to remove it quickly now.

Old timmers who like to show off for newbies huh?

That's right. Showing off doesn't bother me as much as the condescension. If you think I haven't already considered most of the issues you've raised, you're mistaken. I read extensively about the risks of camera work before my first attempt.

Well, I"m 23, I guess that makes me old ...

I'm 40, old man, so I guess that makes me a newbie. Being an "old man" has more to do with one's willingness to consider new possibilities than with time on the planet. Anyone who thinks Sony must always produce the best camcorder, because it produced the best camcorder in the past, is an old man.

... they would perfer that a newbie not even jump with a camera until they are not newbies anymore.

Everyone in this forum may say whatever they like, but in a few years, new skydivers will take cameras on their first jumps, because the cameras will be small enough and light enough to mount inside a helmet and will add no hazard. These cameras already exist. It's only a matter of economies of scale. Outside of its housing, my camera is already small enough.

I just want you to understand what makes things safe or not safe so you can make your own decision.

I appreciate sound advice, and I'm already persuaded to change my setup, but if you want my respect, you must show me some respect.

I really don't think you understand the scope of what's going on ...

I think you don't know me from Adam and can't possibly have an informed opinion of the scope of my understanding.

If you have money to burn, and you really want to try something esoteric, check out the offerings from "spy gear" dealers. I thought about this sunglass camera outfit, for example. Believe it or not, the camera is built into a pair of sunglasses. The color version from this dealer is $650, which is the lowest price I've seen, but you also need a miniature vcr or a compatible camcorder.

http://www.surveillance-spy-cameras.com/st-137-sun-glasses.htm

I've never seen this camera in operation, but I have seen video from the pinhole CCD cameras which this product uses. The video quality is not comparable to a camcorder with quality optics, but it's better than you might think. For amateur freefall video, it could be a good choice, and you could easily wear this camera under a full face helmet, so you'd add no snag risk whatever. You don't need a sight, because the camera is literally between your eyes.

In the near future, you'll probably be able to capture video from a device like this one directly to a solid state device, like a Palm or a Pocket-PC, but you shouldn't buy this camera expecting to do it.

About your reply to Quades questions (i'm sure he will follow as well).
WHat he meant was, that it is very important that you are able to put the lense in the exact same place every time when you put the unit back on top. D-boxes and roll cages do a great job of that. It doesn't take a smart man to figure out that just a few degrees off in any direction can make your video un-viewable.
ALso, camera helmets in current production CLAMP down on your head ("I'm putting my head in a vice" doc Bill) to make sure that there is no vibration, and that you put the helmet on the same place on your head every time.

The camera wouldn't dangle far above me, because the wire is threaded through my chest strap without a lot of slack

again we are dealing with scope...and u sitll don't get it. When I wrap a line around the top unit, and dupm your bag, PC, canopy out into 120mph+ wind, it will pull the unit off (unless your snag is on your bungie...hehe) and it will pull it up, and will most likely be flailing around violently. The point is that now instead of just having the snag on your helmet, now it is a violent mess in an UNVFIXED location, that you have to manage go clear....and aslo have to deal with that wire that STILL connects you to the mess.

but I don't think snagging is a particularly large problem with my setup.

If you don't look at is as a question of If, but When you will snag...
Bad things man, real bad things. I can promise you that set up is FAR from sag free,...
And that you seem to admit that if you snag you are still connected to a cable, and that doesnt bother you...again man, it seems to me that you are clueless as to the seriouseness of jumping with a camera.

but I'm not taking the risk of a camcorder on my head either.

I think a small TRV (about 1lb) on top of a mindwarp, or any other good helmet would be much more safe than a box that is about the same size as the trv, and has a cable that is attached to you.

and I better appreciate the need to remove it quickly now.

The wire man...tell me about how you plan on dealing with the wire in a matter of seconds in a violent and nasty situation. Remeber, Murphy does't let you snag at 12grand...you are going to snag down in the soup when time is your enemy.

you must show me some respect

you have to at least show me a rudimentary understanding about what you are doing before you will get any respect from me.

It sounds to me like you dont' necessary want to become a video guy (tandems, aff, 4-way etc), but you want to do something cool and have video footage to show your friends. Maybe you were intemidated about a real video set up, the risks, and the costs, and decided to try to make th ings better without reallly understanding what you were doing....and you, in my opinion, sitlll have major risks you need to figure out how to deal with before you reach your goal of being more (even as safe) as standard video set ups.
If/When you snag, you MUST be able and willing to get rid of EVERYTHING that the snag is connected to. For most of us that meas getting rid of our helmets...the helmet is the least of your concerns because you are connected to your camera (thus your snag) in multiple places....
Before you get all huffy and respond to this message about all the "experianced people" who say you are ok, just think about what we are trying to tell you.

Z

It doesn't take a smart man to figure out that just a few degrees off in any direction can make your video un-viewable.

Even a not so smart man can learn this lesson from experience, and I've already learned it. Like I said, I'm not concerned with perfect framing at this point, because I'm still working on flying skills. After experimenting, I can place the camera on its mount by hand and frame a subject well enough for now. I've done it several times. I do want a sight at some point.

again we are dealing with scope...and u sitll don't get it.

In reality, you're speculating about equipment you haven't even seen. Skydivers with considerable experience, including a DZO/tandem master/AFF instructor/rigger/pilot with more experience, has seen the equipment, has helped me rig the equipment and has flown with me as I used the equipment. Another skydiver with more experience (jumps) now uses this equipment himself. Why I should place greater faith in advice from someone who has never seen the equipment escapes me. I am listening to your speculative scenarios, but even if you had 10,000 camera jumps, your understanding of equipment you've never examined would still be uninformed.

... it will pull the unit off (unless your snag is on your bungie...hehe) ...

I suspect you're right. I have already conceded a problem with the bungies. On the other hand, because the unit has a relatively small cross-section, it's less likely to snag in the first place.

... and it will pull it up, and will most likely be flailing around violently.

If it detached from the mount, it would dangle no more than six inches above my head

The point is that now instead of just having the snag on your helmet, now it is a violent mess in an UNVFIXED location, that you have to manage go clear....and aslo have to deal with that wire that STILL connects you to the mess.

I only need to clear it if it's tangled in my risers or lines, and the camera housing has very little exposed which could snag a line. The housing is very smooth, no switches, no buttons, no lense, no strap attachment, no folding lcd. I'm looking at my camcorder, right now, and it seems much more likely to snag a line than the helmet camera. I'm reasonably confident that I could grab the helmet camera and tear it loose from the wire, but I think the camera is much less likely than a camcorder to be entangled in a line in the first place.

Bad things man, real bad things.

Bad things can happen in skydiving. Apparently, you think I've never realized this fact before.

I can promise you that set up is FAR from sag free,...

No one has ever suggested that the setup is snag free. I have thought about snags often. I have been through the scenario you've described in my head many times, every time I jump with the camera. I also imagine entanglements and line overs and twists and canopy wraps and cutaways and many other mishaps practically every time I jump. Why you think I don't is a question only you can answer.

And that you seem to admit that if you snag you are still connected to a cable, and that doesnt bother you...

I've never said it doesn't bother me. I say it bothers me less than having a camcorder snagged in my lines.

it seems to me that you are clueless as to the seriouseness of jumping with a camera.

It seems to me that you are less competent to judge my clues than more experienced jumpers who know me and have seen the equipment I'm using and have used the same equipment themselves.

It sounds to me like you dont' necessary want to become a video guy (tandems, aff, 4-way etc), but you want to do something cool and have video footage to show your friends.

Since I have already stated my ultimate goals in considerable detail, which might involve tandems in a year or so, you can't possibly be reading my posts carefully. Of course, I want to record my experiences and share them with friends and family. Why wouldn't I? I also use video to spot problems with my flying.

Maybe you were intemidated about a real video set up, the risks, and the costs, and decided to try to make th ings better without reallly understanding what you were doing....

Maybe, I was intimidated about a real video set up, the risks, and the costs, and decided to try a safer alternative and succeeded. I take you seriously; otherwise, I wouldn't bother responding, but your contrary assertions haven't persuaded me that a helmet camera is risker than a helmet mounted camcorder.

... you, in my opinion, sitlll have major risks you need to figure out ...

No one has denied the risks; however, your assessment of the risks is uninformed.

how to deal with before you reach your goal of being more (even as safe) as standard video set ups.

I've never actually seen a "standard video setup". Practically all of the setups I see are very creative, and most seem more snag-prone than mine. The experienced jumpers I have already consulted agree with me.

If/When you snag, you MUST be able and willing to get rid of EVERYTHING that the snag is connected to.

I'd hate to lose the camera, but I'd certainly toss it to save my life.

For most of us that meas getting rid of our helmets...the helmet is the least of your concerns because you are connected to your camera (thus your snag) in multiple places....

If a helmet mounted camcorder is tangled in my lines, getting rid of it might not be so easy. I assume that's why camera flying can be so dangerous. The helmet camera is the size of my thumb, has very few (if any) snag points, and I can tear it loose from the wire.

Before you get all huffy and respond to this message about all the "experianced people" who say you are ok, just think about what we are trying to tell you.

I'm no "huffier" than you, and the skydivers I've mentioned are more experienced than you, if your profile is accurate, and they have seen the equipment, and you haven't, so I have good reason to prefer their advice to yours. Both my DZO and the guy now using the same device are more experienced than both you and Quade, for that matter.

I have already thought carefully about your comments, and some of the comments have persuaded me to change my setup, but I don't need all the mindless, scare tactics.

What do you think of the sunglass camera? I certainly couldn't snag anything on it. I could also get a pinhole camera alone, the size of my thumbnail, for only $130, and build it directly into a helmet myself. Camera flyers should be happy with these innovations, because they're coming whether you're happy or not.

http://www.surveillance-spy-cameras.com/pinhole-cone-lense.htm

Solve the problem!

I fly still camera top mount, and use a hendheld shutter release connected with a cable. This setup concerned me that if i had to cut away my helmet i would still be attached to it with the remote running inside my jumpsuit. Even though cable is very thin and would probably snap, or that connection to the camera isnt _that_ secure, I installed a small A/V connection (think that what it was, just a stereoheadphones connection, 3 pin) and had the joint at my neck.
If i cut away my helmet, that connection will disconnect and only thing camera related connected to me is 2" of wire with a small pin to it. Sticking out no more than slider stow velcro from the jumpsuit.

Is it possible to install some kind of connection that enables the camera lens to be disconnected with just a slight amount of force from the wire running to the camcorder?
I'm no techno geezer knowing lots of stuff about digital or analogue signals and connections, but surely there must be some solution that can be applied

And Counting that the wire will snap if it snags is NO safe assumption...wires very thin can take very much weight before they snap. There isnt that much drag in a canopy when its streaming, and it will stream if it snags.

safe swoops and clean cam cutaways.
chris

I would be happier if the camera's cable plugged into the camera rather than being permanently attached. It would be more convenient as well as safer. Unfortunately, it isn't. I can disassemble the camera to see if I can ease breakaway or possibly rig a plug. Another option is to carry a small wire cutter with me, possibly mounted near my cutaway handle. Ideally, I'd thread the wire through the wire cutter, like the cutter assembly on my AAD.

Frankly, I don't think the camera will snag anyway, because it doesn't expose much on which to snag. I'm more concerned about the wire wrapping around lines if the camera is dangling. If it wrapped around several lines, the entanglement could be problem; however, if I deploy from a stable, belly-to-earth position, I can't see it happening, because the wire isn't long enough. If I deploy unstable, lines could also snag my shoe or my altimeter or wrap around my neck. I do take these risks seriously.

I might also drop another $130 on a pinhole camera and try mounting it inside my helmet. The quality of the video is probably adequate for self-assessment and training to shoot freefall video. It's probably adequate all around for streaming video at this point, since bandwidth still limits the quality for most of us. There's only one way to find out.

always expect the worst, that way you're never dissapointed and sometimes your happily suprised...... that's my 2 cents, now to deflect this thread a little..... i'm an old man moving into the new millineum... i.e. replaced my trv 67 with a pc 101 and have to move on from my reliable and comfortable hanson to something new and improved. i've been using a friends half rak but i'm not real impressed.... are there any videits out there using a bonehead optic that have any opinions they would be willing to share ?
preferably from those that shoot a lot of tandems and aff.

" you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose "