fxstudio

Digital Cams: Nikon Coolpix 5700, Dimage 7i, or Nikon D100

Anybody gone full digital yet with either of these cameras. I'm considering purchasing 1 of them, but wanted to find out if anyone has used one for skydiving yet ... thanks in advance.

Here are a few links to reviews on the cameras if this interest you.

Nikon Coolpix 5700

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5700/

Minolta DiMage 7i

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimage7i/

Nikon D100

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond100/

Well I want a little more control then the point and shoots. The Dimage 7i comes standard with a 28mm - 200mm lens. 28mm is pretty standard in camera work. You can purchase wide angle lenses for the other two cams. So the that's not an issue. Mainly it's the speed, I'm curious as to how well they perform in our environment. What they state on paper seems like they would perform fairly well.

I posted a question about the Canon D60 / Nikon D100 a while back. I got an answer from Tony Hathaway "Re: [Torso] Canon D60 or Nikon D100 anyone ? [In reply to] Quote | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked out a D100 in the local store in Tampa. They only had a demo model. It was quite a nice camera. The only drawback I can see is there is no electronic shutter release. Only a cable release. (you need the optional vetical grip to get an electronic release) I'm still thinking of getting one as I am having someone build a release for it.
I think it will be nice for freefall. Just a little inconvenient. "

Since I already own a Canon, I'll go for the D60.
The price in Norway right now is $ 2800 inc. all taxes. And a used one for about $2500. (some of the pros change to EOS 1D)

I use the Dimage 7i.

I like the results i get from it although you cant take to "big" pictures cause the writing speed is too long. But that is the really big ones.
Im still playing around with different settings and stuff, but if you want more info or samples, mail me and i mail you back:)
chris

Just saw your question...
I have been jumping with a coolpix 995 since about 6 month.
Scroll to the buttom.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/digisnap2000.html
To see some examples of the pictures, check out my site:
www.clustermaster.com

My D60 just arrived. Can't wait to mount it, but it will take anothe month till I have all the requiered parts.
Blue ones.

I use standard settings, havent change anything but the usual mountain, sunset, action options...use the action for faster shutter speed.

Havent played around with any other settings including autofocus, and pics come out nice...more my cam skills that makes the pics suffer;)
Can always play around later with saturation and all that other stuff in the cam program that comes with the camera.

I use the hand release that you can buy with the cam, big shame the only lengts is 0,5 m and 5m. So i got the 5 m shortened to a bit more arms length and installed a A/V connection (i think) at my neck so if i have to cut the helmet away no problem with the wire running inside my jumpsuit.

Prolly forgot tons of stuff, just emaol me if any q's

cheers
chris

I bought the canon d60 right after I posted something about the d100 on here. I really had to start over with the canon as I've been a nikon user for years now. If anyone is looking to do freefall work and is wondering about the D100 vs. the D60 I would tell anyone, no matter how much Nikon stuff you have to go with the Canon D60. ( I have almost $4000 in nikon things and had 0 in Canon stuff) The D60 is fast, and I havent found myself waiting for the buffer to free up. I can take a photo when I want to-not when the camera will let me.
Canon D60-pc flash sync at 1/200 Nikon D100 NO pc flash sync terminal (1/160 sync speed I think)
Canon D60-electronic release Nikon D100-NO electronic release
Basically, the D60 is a real SLR camera. You treat it like a real camera, it's fast like a real camera, it focuses like a real camera, you push the button and it takes a picture immediately like a real camera-it just happens to be digital.
The canon shoots quicker than the Nikon also.
As far as digital goes, you may be surprised at what's been printed in PARACHUTIST that was a digital photo!!!!!
Hope some of this helps. -Tony Hathaway www.tonyhathaway.com
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.