highfly

Can you get on a jump plane and jump without a rig?

>Another thing....Be standing infront of me when the pilot yells at us
> to "Get the He-- out of my plane!!!"

True story:

Years ago I was at Perris when the old Sikorsky helicopter was there. We loaded up for a helicopter jump. Engine started, rotor began spinning up, and across the runway comes another jumper carrying his rig. He jumps in right as the helicopter takes off.

Once inside we realized he hadn't quite finished packing his rig. He closed it, started to stow the pilot chute etc as we climbed.

At 1000 feet, we heard a BANG and saw a few pieces flying away from the helicopter. The helicopter hovered for a moment then pitched over and started a rapid descent. I wasn't sure what had happened, but I was pretty sure that it couldn't be good. You can only see the pilot's feet in that helicopter, and they were quite busy. We looked at each other, not sure what to do. Do we bail out and open right away, risking hitting the rotor disc? Do we actually take a delay at 1000 feet? And do we push that guy out the door who is just now putting his rig on? (he was in the way, of course.)

We stayed put, and the pilot managed to land the helicopter in a field with minimal damage - we hit hard and crushed the tailwheel, but no one was injured. He climbed up to the engine, fiddled with it, pronounced it fixed, and offered to fly us back to the DZ. We all walked.

So... did he make it back?
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

I have just recived a copy of "Into the Silk" by Ian Mackersey. There was a newspaper clipping inside with reference to an Ivan Maguire.

The clipping stated that this camera flyer managed to get into an aircraft with his full camera equipment on and no rig:S.

When the a/c reached altitude he proceeded to jump with the team without his rig.[unsure]

This incident happened in 1988 and I am unclear as to weather it happend or not.

Please can I get some clarification on this please.

Is this another bad urban myth or is it fact.

Blue skies

April 6, 1988

PARACHUTIST'S DEATH RULED ACCIDENTAL

LOUISBURG (AP) - The death of an experienced parachutist who fell 10,500 feet without a parachute while he was filming another jump was accidental, Franklin County vestigators said Tuesday. "We have gathered enough information to declare it an accident," Sheriff Arthur Johnson said. Ivan Lester McGuire, 35, of Durham died Saturday after jumping from an airplane without a parachute, said Captain Ralph Brown of the Sheriff's Department. McGuire had made more than 800 jumps.McGuire, who was carrying a video camera mounted on his helmet, was filming a student and an instructor at Franklin County Sports Parachute Center when he jumped from the plane piloted by Mark Luman of Louisburg. Luman couldn't be found for comment and had no telephone listing, but Brown said the pilot "wasn't in any position to see what happened in the back of the plane." There was no answer at the parachute center. But Nancy Fayard was quoted Tuesday in the News and Observer of Raleigh [NC] as saying: "No one was aware that he got on the plane without a parachute. Of course no one knew or they would have stopped him." Brown said that there was no foul play and no indication that suicide was involved. But, he added, "A man who has jumped 800 times ought to remember his parachute." McGuire's body was found in woods about 1 1/2 miles from the airfield. The videotape showed McGuire jumping from the airplane and that the jump was going smoothly until the parachutes worn by the instructor and the student opened and McGuire hurtled below them. " It kind of appears he reached for his parachute and he didn't have one." Brown said. "You could see the instructor and the student falling on the video. But the release for his parachute is on the right hip, and when the right hand goes down, the left hand comes forward and it comes into camera view. "Then the pictures get to moving real fast because he's approaching the ground at 150 mph. The only thing the camera shows is the ground coming." Brown said blood samples will show whether McGuire had alcohol or drugs in his system and test results should be ready in about a week. Although an expert jumper, McGuire could have forgotten to put on his parachute because of fatigue or preoccupation with his video equipment, said Fayard, wife of club owner Paul Fayard-the instructor on McGuire's last jump. Nancy Fayard said McGuire worked third shift at Northern Telecom Inc., a manufacturer of telephone switching equipment, and usually left the club at noon to get to work. On Saturday, she said, he stayed until 2:30 to shoot the video. "He's a real perfectionist when it comes to his video photography, and he'd been working a lot on it," she said. "The best we can figure is he became so preoccupied with the video, and then being fatigued, that
his mind was on the video."A Federal Aviation Administration investigator said he was checking to see if Luman knew whether McGuire was wearing a parachute when he
entered the airplane before the jump. Walter L. Rigsbee of the district office in Raleigh said FAA rules require that the pilot check to see that parachutists have on parachutes. Johnson said Tuesday the investigation showed the pilot thought McGuire was wearing a parachute. But Rigsbee said the video equipment may have been mistaken for a parachute. "These parachute clubs have safety programs," Rigsbee said. "They check these jumpers out depending on their experience."

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have just recived a copy of "Into the Silk" by Ian Mackersey. There was a newspaper clipping inside with reference to an Ivan Maguire.

The clipping stated that this camera flyer managed to get into an aircraft with his full camera equipment on and no rig:S.

When the a/c reached altitude he proceeded to jump with the team without his rig.[unsure]

This incident happened in 1988 and I am unclear as to weather it happend or not.

Please can I get some clarification on this please.

Is this another bad urban myth or is it fact.

Blue skies

It is a fact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cenTylpZvjs

Check your gear!!!