RACEDOG

Tonysuit "c" wing camera suit

I am about to order a "c" wing camerasuit from Tonysuit and would like some opinions about choosing the different options on it... I am not sure if I should get the wing attachment option to hook up directly to a ring sewn onto my leg strap or just get the standard that doesn't require sewing something to my rig.... Any comments or suggestions good or bad about this suit would be appreciated...Thanks, Blue skies

I own two different camera suits from Tony. The first is a "d" wing suit, with a very large wing that attaches with a velcro sandwich and a fastex clip. I have around 800 jumps on this suit, so I'm pretty used to it. That being the case, I thought I would mix things up a little bit and order the "c" wing jacket to just fool around with.

My experience sounds a little different than Quade's. Here goes: The wing (which is supplex lined nylon) runs almost all the way to my wrist, and down my side to just above the lateral strap of my rig. It came with an extended piece of binding tape running off the end of the wing doubled over, with a quick release shackle on the end. The intent is to route the whole thing under your leg strap and connect the shackle back over the binding tape extension (read: hard to release and fish under your leg strap when under canopy). I cut this whole mess right off, reattached the shackle right at the end of the wing, and I sewed rings (small rings from 3-ring release system) on the inside of my leg straps directly to my leg strap hardward to attach the shackles to. This made it much easier to release the shackles once I was open, and it seems to make the wing behave a little better

Quade's right about the swoop cords acting as a turniquette (sp) on your hand, so I got them comfortable around my hand, and then sewed those so they won't bind or pinch when load is applied. I've found that for the wing to work properly while you're sitting, the swoop cords need to be relatively tight, thus limiting arm movement towards risers and toggles while you're opening. But you eventually get to the point that you can just pop the shackles while you're snivelling.

Performance: I also had a sit wing installed on the back of the arm ($35 I think). Let me tell you, with proper technique, you will be able to sit with just about the slowest falling groups. That front wing is huge when inflated, and the back wing just helps out the effort. I've found that a nice straight up sit works out much better than flying all the way on my back. I weight about 190lbs with gear, and I can comfortably sit at about 110-115mph.

Disclaimer: I DO NOT like this wing while I'm on my belly. Maybe I just suck, maybe I'm just used to many jumps on the "d" wing suit. I don't know. I don't think this wing is all that cut out for flat flying. Because of the attachment to the front of the arm, and the bagginess of the wing, it's hard to make the wing really tight while you're on your belly. Maybe it's just me.

There's my long-winded two cents.

Mike

Since we're talking wings here...

I have the Bev Suit with the B (medium) wing. Ive found that I havnt been able to fall anywhere near slow enough in a sit to hang with a tandem or any other belly flyer. Could this be a technique issue or related more to wing size?

I hate to rely on equipment to resolve an issue that can / should be solved with flying skills.

Thanks
JC

(Could this be a technique issue or related more to wing size? )

Probably a little of both. With a normal wing I've found that I need to fly really flat on my back to achieve slower speeds, and when I do this I sacrafice a little bit of mobility, but having that big wing attached over the front of the arm ("c" wing or equivalent) really helps the effort when in a normal sit.

(I hate to rely on equipment to resolve an issue that can / should be solved with flying skills.)

This is a great statement. I wish more people would think like this. I've seen people run right out and get cameras and camera suits at the same time, and never learn to fly their body before putting on the wings. A camera suit should be a tool, not a crutch. You definitely have the right attitude.

I may get severly flamed for this, but it's way to easy to become a camera person anymore, and as one jumper at my dropzone said just last weekend, people go out and spend a few grand on equipment then want to start filming tandems and getting paid because they think the sport owes them their investment back. I'm not going to rant, because I can get on a soapbox and not quit, so I won't even start.

Mike

I use Tonys jacket for most of my camera jumps. If I'm doing serious 4-way video I have a suit for that. For all others, tandem-aff-big-way-fun RW, I use that. (weather dependant however)
I clip it to a ring sewn into my leg pad. I used it the other way, when it was first made but didn't like it .
Its really about what you get used to. As far as Tony Suits "C" wing jacket the first one he built was for me and I've been using it ever since! I have probably 3 thousand jumps on them. All that being said, I've never jumped any other camera suit so comparing them to others I have no way to do that. -Tony
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

My C wing camera suit will be here Thursday. I'll post a review this weekend after I've flown it. I suggest ordering directly from them, not an intermediary. I ordered through Paragear cause they told me I could get stainless shackles from them, but not through Tony. They're gonna be brass anyway. Just order straight from Tony.

I just got hired by a 4 way team last weekend and I did it flying in my freefly suit. Work it! I hope the camera suit gives me more speed range, but I do know how to get small to speed up and how to hump the beachball to get back above. I did get good, judgeable video without the suit, so I'm hoping it can only get better.

I did order the c wing, so I'll let you know.

JP

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply…this will be very helpful in choosing what I need.

Deuce, I am looking forward to your reply when you get your new suit.

Tony Hathaway, compared to your regular camera suit how does your “C” wing behave when you fly flat. Also, any tips or tricks on how you use and fly your “C” wing would be appreciated.

The camera suit I am currently jumping flies really nice when I am on my belly but I have to be almost on my back to get the wings to slow me down enough to stay up with a tandem. Thanks, Rich

Only one of my camera suits has a regular wing. Even my "regular" camera suits has the wing closer to his "C" wing than his regular wing. I've been using sort of my own desigs on my suits for that. My 4-way camera suit has a different material, and a slightly different shape than the C wing so it has A LOT OF LIFT for flying in the burble of a 4-way.
However, the C wing on my belly is great. Like I said, if I'm just doing a couple of 4-way videos I use the jacket. If I'm doing the serious stuff I dont. If I HAD to choose only one for everything it would be the "C" wing because it is nice for everything. The "flat" suit I have isn't very good for on back stuff. Hope some of this helps. Thanks-Tony
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.