taz9420

Full-Face Helmet Question (BoneHead/Z1)

Just purchased a BoneHead full face helmet (it's neither a boomerang nor Havoc). I believe it's a discontinued item (marked down from $210 to $100)

The helmet is comfortable as hell as well as being light. The only thing is that it doesn't have is a breathing vent next to my mouth. Should I take it back and spend the money on a Z1 (or something else) or will this lack of a vent be that big of a deal????

Bonhead has excellent customer service, they will help you until you are happy. Para-sport italia have crappy customer service, no matter how much work you go to try to talk to someone at the company, I'll be surprised if you actually succeed.

I bought one Z1 a few years ago, and I never will again.

I can't imagine trading in a perfectly good bonehead for the Z1. The Z1 has tons of issues itself, and is far from perfect.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've never had to deal with their customner service, so I'll take your word, there.

But what 'issues' do you have with the Z1? I've had mine for a while, as has my wife. We've never experienced any issues. We love the Z1 and recommend them to everyone.

Rock

I've never had to deal with their customner service, so I'll take your word, there.

But what 'issues' do you have with the Z1? I've had mine for a while, as has my wife. We've never experienced any issues. We love the Z1 and recommend them to everyone.

Rock

i'll second that. i love my z1.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

I've heard their customer is crappy, but what other "issues" have you found with Z1's?

The visor is always popping open in freefall. Slam close, pop open. Rinse, repeat.

The lens is always separating from the frame, no matter what kind of glue I try, it only lasts a month, usually.

The liner is always separating from the shell. Again, no matter what kind of glue I try, it never lasts.

The paint is peeling off. Not chipping off, not scratching off, but peeling off. It first started near the bottom of the helmet, near the neck, and has spread up.

Other people haven't had the problems I've had, or had problems to the same degree. I imagine Parasport probably fixed some or many of these bugs, but the frustrations I went through trying simply to get the latch to the visor replaced taught me a thing or two about what customer service is NOT supposed to be.

There are so many good companies in this industry that take care of their customers, they're the ones that get my business.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

No issues with my Z1. I've even replaced the shield after a year and a half. You'll get good ones and bad ones, but I also believe you must take care of your equipment. People that didn't like the Z1 seem to gravitate towards the Oxygen A3. But then I hear about some of the issues they have with them, but they stick to them. It's all a matter of preference, durability and style. The Z1 fits all my needs.

That's how I feel. I know I've heard they have crappy customer service, but I've never had to think about dealing with them, my Z1 has been so good. I think 2 or 3 times I've jumped out with my visor open and when I realised, "Hey, it's a little breezy...oh crap, my visor!" and reach up and it's there, just waiting for me. Not exactly like some full face helmet shields I know have been ripped off during a dive while it was already closed. Not to mention the fact that I can open my visor, easily, with one hand, to keep it from fogging up (and keep the rest of my face warm) on those cold January days.....

Of course, this is just MY experience.....
We were never feeling bored because we were never being boring.
-Zelda Fitzgerald

I agree... the Z1 is a good helmet, but it definitely has quality control issues. I've had no major problems with mine (none of the problems AndyMan mentioned), but then again I don't jump nearly as often. I was just surprised at the overall quality. It looks somewhat slapped together. Not really noticeable from the outside except for a very small amount of roughness in the paint job in some spots. But some of it is really just ugly, like the way the velcro that holds the liner on is put on. I attached a couple pictures. You can see the velco just sticks right up with a whole bunch of the sticky side exposed. You can't see it when the visor is closed, but it's really obvious when it's open. That just seems inexcusable to me. These things are hand made I would assume. Could they not have placed the velcro just a little more carefully? The other thing I noticed when I got it, which I already fixed, was a few threads hanging out the mouth openings. It's as if they're made by robots and shipped out with no inspection. But I really do like it and would honestly recommend the Z1, even with its flaws.

Dave

z1-side.jpg

z1-front.jpg

Not to mention the fact that I can open my visor, easily, with one hand, to keep it from fogging up (and keep the rest of my face warm) on those cold January days.....

and don't ferget them cold February days, too!:P

My velcro is like that too, we just got after it with a pair of scissors. The biggest issues I have with my Z1 is it whistles so loudly in freefall it drive me nuts. I jumped one before and it was fine so i know it's mine, plus no one else who got one from the same batch has complained.

Anyway we are about to find out how bad their customer service is cause it's bad when your open face is quieter than your full face. :S

Fly it like you stole it!

Weird. Mine definitely doesn't whistle. Keeps things nice and quiet. I was shocked on my last jump when I was doing a 2 way night jump and the other guy yelled something to me and I actually heard him... in freefall. Never had that happen before. Sure couldn't yell back though.

Dave

What the hell is that helmet any hew........................

I work here at Bonehead I i can't figure it out.
Did you get it from us? Or a dealer. The only full-faced helmets (non-camera) have never been discontinued. Unless it is the "SKULL" that is older than me........

What's it look like?
Yes, since you are a 'mouth breather' you can drill a few holes in the mouth and punch a hole in the liner foam.........

Help me help you,
Jeanie M Portillo
909-943-1166 Voice
909-943-3316 fax
www.boneheadcomposites.com

~~~~~~~~~~~
You have to be the change
you want to see in the world.

Mahatma Ghandi
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly~~MLK