AirMan

Need Help!

Someone help me as I am confused and overwhelmed. I want to break into video, and have been looking at used Sony PC digital camcorders, but I am confused with all the different models...PC-1, PC-3, PC-5, PC-7, PC-9, PC-100, etc.! Which would be a good, firstimer, cheap, quality PC to get started with?

First off, what kind of video do you want to shoot. Do you want/need to be able to shoot stills as well? Do you already have a helmet that you are trying to fit this to or are you going to buy a camera helmt?
William

I aske this question a few days ago.... I got a few answers that weren't posted.
THe pc9 is a replacement for the pc5, which is a replacement for the pc1. The PC101 is coming out in a few weeks, and is a replacement for the pc9.
The pc 120 is a replacement for the pc115, which is a replacement for the pc110.
So the current models are the pc120 and pc9, but shortly the pc101 will replace the pc9. You can still get the older models, there's a bunch of them sitting in warehouses that are being sold online.
The 110 and 120 are slightly bigger then the 9,5,1 series... so there's a bit more risk of riser strikes.
They 110 and 120 also have more features... better stills and better nightshots.
Anyone else got anything?
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

There was one more good point in the answers to that previous question about sony pc 1-120 cameras. I did not think about it, because I had already decided it.
You need to decide: topmount or sidemount.
Topmount = TRV series and Sidemount = PC series.
Of course you can do the opposite also... :)
Peedu

I have a PC9 topmounted and it does stick up a little higher than I would like.
The TRV would definately be better for topmount, but I will say other than having to adjust the focus point when I am up close on a tandem (as in shoot a little lower so you frame their face) I havnt had any problems with it topmounted.
If I bust my PC9 someday I may switch over to a TRV for topmount.
JC

If I bust my PC9 someday I may switch over to a TRV for topmount.

Apart from the obvious benefit of fewer riser strikes, what are the benefits of topmounts over side?
Does topmounting get in the way of bringing the slider down?
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

Paraphrasing the bard,
"To side mount or to top mount? That is the question.
Whether tis nobler to suffer the strikes of risers on deployment and look cooler in doing so, or not look quite so cool and have one's head knocked about by other freeflyers?"
For me that's the basic realities of it.
Side mounting offers a slightly higher amount of protection for the camera when in a wildly moving group of people, the door and for hairy funneled exits, but is far more susceptable to riser strikes on openings. It can also offer up a pretty neat place for lines to snag at just the wrong moment -- like when you're trying to cut-away from a main mal. Side mounts also look cooler. ;^)
If, on the other hand, you'll eventually be shooting 35mm stills, you'll probably have to top mount something anyway, so why not do it from the very begining?
Top mounting (especially on a BatRak or Flat-Top) almost ensures that you'll never have to worry about stuff getting ripped off at deployment due to riser strike. However, top mounting scares me quite a bit for flying within a tight group. One bad funnel and a foot or worse could end up easily smashing all that stuff on the top of your head. Of course, you'll probably whack it on the door during climb out a few times over it's lifetime too.
Both side and top mounts put extra loads on your neck during deployment. Depending on how you deploy, this could be a twist or a jerk to the side or front, or maybe neither. It all depends on your technique.
quade
http://futurecam.com

< I guess the best bet is to buy the most that I can afford>
Mot really. Most of the time the more expensive cameras are more expensive because of features that you would not use in skydiving. Start by going to the sony web site and reading about the different cameras. Then do a search to find out about the older models.
William