jimjumper

Canopy Proficiency card changes

I posted a number of comments in this forum a while back about the requirement for an S&TA approval for a “B” license. I attended the BOD meeting yesterday held in San Diego and would like to report the results of the discussion on changes to that requirement. The Board voted to also allow Coach Examiners, Instructor Examiners, and Board Directors to approve “B” license applications. These people can also designate individuals allowed to conduct the Canopy Discovery Drills training required to complete the Canopy Proficiency card.
One of my personal gripes with the new card was the requirement that the Canopy Instructor must be approved by the S&TA signing the card but I was told by the Board, that now, once a person is approved by any of the above that that designation will be accepted by all persons authorized to sign the final approval. This eliminates the need for Instructors to get individual approval from each S&TA in their area.
The second gripe I had was a lack of a formal instructional rating path for an average Instructor to get a rating that allows him to sign the license app. With approving CE’s and I/E’s to do this that eliminates that problem also.
I realize that there will still be a lot of argument about the actual implementation of this new program but the Board made at least these changes pretty easy. (I personally didn’t speak much at the Board meeting. It appeared that there had been a lot of feedback from the general Membership.)
While I still feel that this has relegated the Instructor role back to being a Jumpmaster maybe someday we’ll return to Coaches coaching novices, I’s teaching students and I/E’s teaching Instructors.

Actually, it has moved out of committee and will be voted on by the full board soon (Todd Spillers is giving his committee's updates and motions now). I'll update soon on how the full board votes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Ok,

as I stated when this first came out it was a starting point, and this is a good example. We had a flaw exposed to us and we acted accordingly.

The vote was unanimous full BOD to allow STA, IE, CE, BOD to appoint who they want to teach the canopy proficiency card and then they must sign said card.

Thanks,
Rich Winstock
USPA National Director

Bad idea. The card WILL be penciled on a regular basis now.

So you're saying an I-E, C-E or BOD member will be more likely to allow someone unqualified to sign the card than an S&TA???????
I worked hard to earn my ratings. I didn't get an appointment (not to slam S&TAs, but it is a rating that is given, not necessarliy earned). I don't intend to allow anyone I don't think is qualified the oportunity to give canopy instruction.
Could you please explain your view on this.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.