Kris

Argh! Which Camera?

Okay, I'm torn here. Really torn. I have two expensive hobbies, skydiving and my car. I was going to get cold air induction, strut bars, short-shifter & NOS for my baby but skydiving won out. As usual, again... But it would have gotten me to the DZ a lot faster :)Okay, so I have decided to take the money & get a camera instead. Now I don't know what I want to get.
I am trying to decide between the JVC GR-DVM90U and the Sony PC-9. I will be using it mainly for freeflying and ocassionally for when I am working with freefall students along with the various DZ hijinx.
I have OHCI-compliant firewire on my PC courtesy of a Radeon 8500DV video card and will be controlling the camera with Adobe Premier full edition.
The camera will be mounted to my Bonehead Mindwarp via an L-bracket.
So what I want to know from the people that have flown these is info on the picture quality, durability and ease of use.
Also, does anyone know if the CamEye II will work with the JVC? If not, no big but I really don't want to have to break out the soldering iron to engineer my own if I get the JVC.
The best price I have found on the DVM-90 is just under $600, so that still will let me pick up a few auto toys for my Tiburon but the best price I have found on the PC-9 is $808.
If anyone also knows of any other cameras I should be looking at, please let me know. The only things I really need are for it to be palm-size, have firewire, memory card for stills, and decent low-lux capability.
Thanks,
Kris

First off let me say I jump with a JVC. That being said I would recommend a Sony if you ever want to do paid video jumps. The Image quality is just as good on the JVC but where the difference comes in is compatibility. The Cam eye II will not work with the JVC. You have to get the one that tapes over your indicator light. This will work but is more trouble and does not have as many features. Also many firewire cards will work better with the sony because they base their designs on them. The imovie software that comes with the imac will not work with JVC at all. One other thing about Sony. The usually have a slow motion that you can adjust the speed on.
William

I'm trying to find the cheapest source for a new PC9, and I'm interested to know where you can get one for as little as $800.
I'm in Britain and the lowest I can find is £969 (approx $1107) - it might be worth importing one!!
(If anybody in Britain knows of a cheap source - yes please!!! :-)
To be old and wise, you first have to be young and STUPID!!

If you want a real UK PC9 (rather than a 'grey import') you will need to pay about £880 - try
http://www.askdirect.co.uk
http://www.unbeatable.co.uk
http://www.empiredirect.co.uk
http://uk.pricerunner.com/ProductPrice.jsp?model=70286
I've heard some bad stories about the cheap online suppliers - long delays, no stock, etc. but also lots of people have no problem.
Personally, I just walked into Kamla electronics on Tottenham Court Road (they're linked to askdirect.co.uk) and bought one over the counter. Same price as online.
Geoff

A couple of other thoughts - £969 is more like $1350 than $1107 - don't know where you got your exchange rate from.
Be really careful if you're planning to import. You probably want a PAL camera, and the US ones will be NTSC. And unless you smuggle a camera in illegally you'll be charged 17.5% VAT plus probably some duty.
Geoff