freeflyerno

Canon EOS settings

For anyone using a Canon EOS for skydiving.
What setting do you use for the camera? Is the "sports" mode good enough, or do you dabble into the "Creative Zone"? If the latter, which zone do you put it on and what settings do you use in that zone?
A general answer would be cool. Details concerning different lighting (sunset etc) would be awesome.
Thanks.

Hi there..
I have an EOS 500N.
If the day is generally good (blue sky, reasonable light) I tend just to use the Sports pre-setting. I dont really get to creative when filming tandems or students, and Ive found its a pretty good 'all-round' setting.
If I want to play with settings I'll let the camera select the aperture and Ill manually set shutter speed, or vice versa - its produced some interesting results.
The best way to play, though, is to read the manual. I know, I know, nobody likes to, but i found it suprising what my camera would do!

There are three things you need to take into account, the speed of the action, determining the shutter speed, the depth-of-field you want (the distance behind and in front of the subject still in focus), determined by your aperture, and whether your camera will auto-focus on your subject.
Autofocus is usually good on the EOS's though. To blur the background as much as possible, set the aperture on a low number (e.g. 4.5) or if you have a beautiful background you want in focus too, use a high aperture number (e.g. f 22) and the shutter speed will compensate for the different light levels. I would suggest a shutter speed of at least 250 - 500th, so make sure it's not too low, or you action will blur. Remember - a high aperture number requires a slower shutter, and vice versa. The action setting gives a high shutter speed, which will make the aperture setting lower, making the depth of focus less (i.e. blurred background).
Hope this helps...

Put the camera on TV(shutter priority), set the shutter speed at 350 or 500. Buy a UV filter(about $15 to $20) or a circular polarizer(you will have to tape it in place). A 20,24 or 28mm lens will work fine for most pics. And stay close to your subject. Also, a good refrence book is The Photographer's Handbook by John Hedgecoe. You will be suprised what a camera can do. Hope this helps.
Blue Skies and Long Swoops,
Tony