skydyvotie

What kind of camera would you suggest?

I am relatively new jumper. Having just shy of 200 jumps, I am wanting to get into freefall photography. I realize all of the issues at hand when it comes to jumping with the addition weight and "line catchers" but I am curious about the equipment. What type of camera would anybody suggest to me. I am looking to buy a relatively good camera, not a "starter." I am hoping to use this camera through my progressions a a freefall photographer, taking into account the potential for equipment damage. Thanks all!

First of all you must ask yourself a few questions:
What kind of photo/films will i do?
How must the quality of the photos/films be?
How many money will i spend for this?
after all you´re able to use a camera for 100$ (no name) or you´ll use a camera like the canon eos 1 (2800$) or the eos 1 digital ( 4000$) you´ve many options about your camera, i´ll still use only the same type for all.
for example: you normally use the canon eos 5, then you can go and buy a second one and prepare it for skydiving (wide lens or fish eye), change the programm (canon is able to help you). and so one. buy all needed equipment for skydiving.

Thank you for the reply ditch9276. I apologize, but I didn't clarify what type of camera. I meant video camera. I am thinking a side mount. I would be using it for fun and learning now, but then would certianly hope to get into tandem videos. Thanks again, sorry I wasn't too clear.

skydyvotie,
I have a Sony PC5 side mounted on a bonehead mindwarp and I love it. It's the smallest sony out there and it takes good video. Some people will tell you to get the PC100 because it get's better resolution, but that's only in still photo mode and let's be honest, how often do you use that in freefall? Capturing stills from video the resolutions are the same. If you want quality stills, get a still camera. Like I said, I love my PC5, have shot lots of RW, tandems and freefly with it, all with good results. Hope this helps you out.
-T1
C-30757

Another option to consider is scanning the second hand pages of the local paper for a few weeks. Every year families buy the latest and greatest digital video cameras, film the kids with them for a few months and decide to sell. You might be able to pick up a PC1 or PC3 well below what youd pay new. I cant speak for the PC5 but I have about 600 jumps on my PC1 and it still hums. A few of the full time cameramen at my DZ use them - 1400 jumps on one and 500 on the other and no hassles. If you rembember to get a fully enclosed box to protect it you should have no worries.