dmaline

4-Way in TX

I'm going to post again because now I am a solo flyer looking to join a team ...

A little about me ... I live in Shreveport, LA but will train in TX!
475 jumps and 25 hours tunnel - all belly (~100+ jumps 4-way, 20 hours tunnel 4-way)

I'm looking to join a team who is short a teammate.
Looking to train at either SD Dallas or SD Spaceland Houston (possibly Lonestar)
I have been flying OC and know the slot well, but will gladly fly another slot!

Looking for a commitment of at least once a month, possibly 2 times a month. Also looking for a team that wants to train in the tunnel. AND have a coach for both.

If you have questions, ask.

Looking to start training ASAP!

dmaline

I'm going to post again because now I am a solo flyer looking to join a team ...

A little about me ... I live in Shreveport, LA but will train in TX!
475 jumps and 25 hours tunnel - all belly (~100+ jumps 4-way, 20 hours tunnel 4-way)

I'm looking to join a team who is short a teammate.
Looking to train at either SD Dallas or SD Spaceland Houston (possibly Lonestar)
I have been flying OC and know the slot well, but will gladly fly another slot!

Looking for a commitment of at least once a month, possibly 2 times a month. Also looking for a team that wants to train in the tunnel. AND have a coach for both.

If you have questions, ask.

Looking to start training ASAP!

Chicky chick be good. Somebody get her while she lasts.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Have you asked around at the target DZs? Get people like Chuck and others who know people who know people to help you network? Showed up at every tunnel event and belly flying organizer day or other event and said "Hey, I'm thinking of putting together a 4-way team, here's what I'm looking for do you know anyone?"

Finding the right team isn't easy, but a lot of time it's that informal / in person networking that makes it happen. Good luck!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks. Yep. Asked at both. Either people have teams formed or just "aren't sure." Chuck has been amazing and super helpful. And trust me, I've been using all of the resources at my fingertips and every contact I have. I'm just ready to get going, get to training, and find some awesome peeps like myself!

It's not unusual to have a hard time trying to get accepted onto a 4 way team.

If the DZs at which you are considering being on a team do not have team building systems in place, it may be tougher than you think. More and more young people just want to sit fly or free fly. And more and more tunnel coaches are leaning in the same direction.

Go to their Safety Days coming up and make serious attempts at networking. If you don't get any serious interest, DZ staff help or local 4 way team support, you may need to consider going to other DZs around the country that have serious 4 way teams.

Those DZs who have shown long term support of 4 way teams usually have events such as team for a day - team building days and other regular events for people interested in a team. It is often part of the payback expected from the local sponsored teams.

If you can afford the amount of tunnel you have, you might be better served flying to other more progressive 4 way team DZs to get yourself on a team.

There are some really good programs out there. I've helped a lot of people get on teams but there is usually travel involved.

If there is a 4 way league in Texas, get in touch with the league director.

Good luck.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

You're right ... I keep being told its hard to get accepted onto a 4-way team or to even build a team (intermediate even!)

With the amount of tunnel I have, its not about the money not being able to travel .... Its simply about having the time. I'm only available Saturday and Sunday (friday night) due to my work schedule and have very limited vacation. Makes it pretty challenging. But I figured for sure with TX being the land of belly fliers (or used to be) i'd be able to find someone like-minded folks who want to have an amazing time and are as passionate as I am.

Thanks for reaching out and thanks for your advice! Wish there was a 4-way league in TX. Would make a world of difference!

Looks like they're looking for a director! The NCSL league director started NCSL partly because she wanted people to play with. She'd be a great person to reach out to if you are so inclined to get things going again in Texas.

https://www.skyleague.com/pages/leagues/showLeague.php?league=16
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke