Benrgates

RW Jumpsuits

Brands are really a matter of preference. There are many good ones and everyone will tell you their favorite is the best.

Get booties. If you're going to compete, even just for fun I'd recommend the biggest booties available (often called comp booties or mega booties). Inside and outside leg grippers are also really helpful, and if there is a choice in gripper size, go big.

Cordura butt and knees can help with durability. Extra zippers (leg, arm) are imo an unnecessary failure point. A pocket or two can come in handy if it doesn't come standard.

Other options are going to depend on your size/fall rate, such as fabric choice, fit, etc.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

Brands are really a matter of preference. There are many good ones and everyone will tell you their favorite is the best.

Get booties. If you're going to compete, even just for fun I'd recommend the biggest booties available (often called comp booties or mega booties). Inside and outside leg grippers are also really helpful, and if there is a choice in gripper size, go big.

Cordura butt and knees can help with durability. Extra zippers (leg, arm) are imo an unnecessary failure point. A pocket or two can come in handy if it doesn't come standard.

Other options are going to depend on your size/fall rate, such as fabric choice, fit, etc.

this is a good post ^

Do a search, there are plenty of brand advocation threads (probably started by owners of a suit brand - no advertising on DZ.com). But hidden in them is a lot of advice on the good features of a RW suit that most can offer. I'll go try to find a few links.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Brand wise: if there's a really popular brand at your DZ, look into that one. Chances are, there's someone there who can measure you properly for that brand and provide good service.

Most big brands will provide a fit guarantee, but having it fit the 1st time is always better.
Remster

StreetScooby

Get booties.

NWFlyer makes some good points. Also, you'll need to wear big tennis shoes with the big booties. That will give a tight fit, otherwise big booties will end up flying you if you're not careful.

Huh.. No.

Get measured with the shoes you'll wear most times when jumping. This way, the booties will fit like they are supposed to.

I wear skate shoes. So do a lot of people I jump with.
Remster

What NWFlier said is spot on, there is no reason to buy an RW suit without booties and an RW suit without inside grippers or with flimsy grips will eventually make you (or your jump buddies) hate that suit.
I use a Tony Pitspecial which is probably the most famous/used/common RW suit and for good reasons. I love it.

I recently had a chance to look at a bunch of suits made by this guy:
http://www.xpxarmor.com/product/xpx-armor-rw-suit/
and I was honestly stroke by the building quality. Stitches, reinforcements, grips, materials, everything seemed made with durability in mind. Two guys in my RW team needed a suit and ordered one right away and the only reasons I didn't it's because of self-control (shelling $500 on another RW suit, logic said no :) ). At least at a first look, it blew every other RW I've seen out of the water.
Worth to keep them in mind or shoot them an email to get more pics and info (their website is pretty uninformative LoL)

Then it comes down to personal preference, ask around your dz and see what brands are around, how people like them, etc... there are a lot of very good options.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Di0

I use a Tony Pitspecial which is probably the most famous/used/common RW suit and for good reasons. I love it.

+1.

I just bought one after years of mostly Parasport, but having also experimented with Symbiosis and Nec.

I haven't jumped it yet but have a few hours of tunnel wearing it, and I think it's the best suit I've ever owned. And by some distance too - the precision and power in the booties are noticeably better than all other suits I've owned.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Liquid Sky makes exceptionally good suits.
Their prices are high and lead times are long, but that seems the way of good stuff in skydiving.

kkeenan

Liquid Sky makes exceptionally good suits.
Their prices are high and lead times are long, but that seems the way of good stuff in skydiving.

I think their suits are not as well "fine tuned" as the more historically RW orientated companies. I know a few teams who had to spend quite a bit of time relearning to fly together after getting their LS suits. That being said, they are very well built.

I personally stick with Tony's.
Remster

Remster

***Liquid Sky makes exceptionally good suits.

I think their suits are not as well "fine tuned" as the more historically RW orientated companies.

agree
we send people to Liquid Sky quite often for Freefly suits.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

There are several common names in RW suits, at my DZ it's primarily Bev suits and a few Tony suits. The most important thing is to get with a local dealer who can measure you properly, explain all the options and help you choose what makes sense for your body. They should also have fabric samples so you can see the colors.

Bosque

Anyone have any experience with Vertical's relative work suits? I know a lot of people love their freefly stuff but I haven't heard one way or the other on the rw ones.

I absolutely love mine. I'm tall and skinny and need a tight fit, so getting the fit right is a lot less forgiving than a baggier suit. My Vertical RW suit is perfect. It also appears to be very well built. I would definitely buy one again.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Bosque

Anyone have any experience with Vertical's relative work suits? I know a lot of people love their freefly stuff but I haven't heard one way or the other on the rw ones.

I myself only have a Vertical FF suit, but I have a friend who had a Vertical RW suit and it was absolutely incredible, just like the FF suit. Vlady makes some great shit, worth every penny.