NWFlyer

2014 USPA Nationals

Who's going? Whatcha doing? What's your team name(s)?

Just 4-way Intermediate for me this year, team is 5th Wheel. 4th time doing 4-way at Nationals, but :D time with a full-season team with a meaningful amount of training.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Remster

the only thing more difficult is figuring out where to go for dinner)

It's Ottawa. You can go to that one restaurant ... or the other one. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Okay so someone explain to the noob what does all this mean?

Individual Accuracy Landing- Okay this is oldschool accuracy.
Freefall Style- Freestyle? Like the Festi's with Animare?
4-way CF rotation 1- CRW right?
4-way CF Sequential 1- More crw right?
2-way CF Sequential Advance / Open - Smaller CRW right?
4-way FS Advance / Intermediate / Open - Standard 4 way belly RW right?
8 way FS Intermediate / Open- 8 way belly RW?
10 way FS 1 class- 10 way belly RW?
16 way FS 1 class- 16 way belly RW?!?
Freefly Open / Intermediate- No idea what this would be
Freestyle 1 class - Or is this the thing the Festi's do? Im confused
4-way VFS Open / Advance- Freefly right?
2-way MFS Open / Advance- Yep totally lost again here as well.

Also on the schedule for the event they have some days labeled "artistic" and some other days labeled "style", whats the difference?

Would appreciate either someone explaining or someone pointing me at a source to read.

Go to the USPA site and download the Skydivers Competition Manual. More than you ever wanted to know is in there!

As mentioned above, check out the SCM for all the details because there's soooo much more to learn. But the short answers are...

Doug_Davis

Individual Accuracy Landing- Okay this is oldschool accuracy. Yup.
Freefall Style- Freestyle? Like the Festi's with Animare? Nope. This is "style" which is different. Old school as well.
4-way CF rotation 1- CRW right? Yup.
4-way CF Sequential 1- More crw right? Yup.
2-way CF Sequential Advance / Open - Smaller CRW right? Yup.
4-way FS Advance / Intermediate / Open - Standard 4 way belly RW right? Yup.
8 way FS Intermediate / Open- 8 way belly RW? Yup.
10 way FS 1 class- 10 way belly RW? Yup. But this is a speed event, where the objective is not to do as many points as possible (like 4, 8, and 16 way) but to build ONE point as fast as possible. Super old school and crazy fun!
16 way FS 1 class- 16 way belly RW?!? Yup.
Freefly Open / Intermediate- No idea what this would be Artistic freefly.
Freestyle 1 class - Or is this the thing the Festi's do? Im confused Yes, this is the thing the Festis do.
4-way VFS Open / Advance- Freefly right? Formation freefly, similar to 4-way FS in that there are points you have to build and you're judged by how many you get in working time. But they're freefly points instead of belly points.
2-way MFS Open / Advance- Yep totally lost again here as well.Formerly known as 2-way VFS (like 4-way VFS above) but changed because it involves both head up, head down, and belly points... thus "Mixed Formation Skydiving"

You are so awesome! Thank you for taking the time to do that.

One follow up question.

Freestyle 1 class - Or is this the thing the Festi's do? Im confused Yes, this is the thing the Festis do.

Whats the technical difference? Because what Amanda does looks pretty artistic to me.

Oh and 10 way sounds like a blast! Ive never heard of anyone building a ten way team before. Does anyone still do it?

Doug_Davis

You are so awesome! Thank you for taking the time to do that.

One follow up question.

Whats the technical difference? Because what Amanda does looks pretty artistic to me.

Oh and 10 way sounds like a blast! Ive never heard of anyone building a ten way team before. Does anyone still do it?

Yeah, it's not saying that freestyle isn't artistic, it's more to distinguish artistic freefly from VFS. They're different, both in the style of flying and that artistic freefly is teams of two with a third team member on video, where freestyle is one flyer, one camera person. I'm definitely not the one to explain that (remember, you're in the RW forum, so you're - at least in my case - talking to someone who only belly flies!).

Well you obviously know more than I do, so thanks for all the explanations.

So with the 10 way teams do the judges decide on the day of competition which point to have the team build? Or does the team decide? So it becomes a measure of both speed and complexity?

And do people build teams just for ten way? Because I have zero interest in 4-way or 8-way, but youre right 10-way sounds like a blast!

Typically, not many (if any) team trains for 10way. They're often the 4way teams or 8way teams combining with who is sticking around to form the teams.

The points are drawn randomly the day before from a small pool (12 possible formation). That's like that in 4, 8 and 16 way too (and in 4w VFS and 2w too). One of them is always the round.

Have a look at what it looks like: http://www.omniskore.com/comp/2013/2013uspa_nsc/main_10-Way.shtml (click on any of the scores to see the jump; it doesn't seem to work well in Chrome tho...)
Remster

Remster

Typically, not many (if any) team trains for 10way.

Yup. And 10-way also has the Godfrog Award, which is awesome. My BF and I joined a pickup 10-way team at 2012 Nationals, and the team's entire goal was to have as much fun as possible and win the Godfrog. We did and we won it that year (and got most of the team back together in 2013 so we could choose the next winners). Unfortunately, we had to leave before the awards ceremony in 2012, but we did end up on the plaque and got to take pics with it in 2013. It's a very cool piece of skydiving history.

NWFlyer

***Typically, not many (if any) team trains for 10way.

Yup. And 10-way also has the Godfrog Award, which is awesome. My BF and I joined a pickup 10-way team at 2012 Nationals, and the team's entire goal was to have as much fun as possible and win the Godfrog. We did and we won it that year (and got most of the team back together in 2013 so we could choose the next winners). Unfortunately, we had to leave before the awards ceremony in 2012, but we did end up on the plaque and got to take pics with it in 2013. It's a very cool piece of skydiving history.

And if anyone gets a good photo of the winning Godfrog team with the award, please send it to me and I'll add it to the web site.

JK - Godfrog 2001.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

NWFlyer

***the only thing more difficult is figuring out where to go for dinner)

It's Ottawa. You can go to that one restaurant ... or the other one. :D:D

There's a new tapas place called Corner 230. Haven't been there yet, so we'll see! I just came back from my Kroger run, so I have plenty of healthy snacks in the fridge for some nights I don't feel like eating out. :)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

kallend

Does anyone know the identity of the team that won the Godfrog?

From the Skydive Chicago Facebook page (and yes, there is a photo of the team holding the award):

https://www.facebook.com/SkydiveChicago
https://www.facebook.com/SkydiveChicago/photos/pcb.10152720054624455/10152720045519455/?type=1&theater

The judges award went to Butterfly Kisses Dandelion Wishes and they awarded their title of the 'godfrog' award to the Texas Cowboys.