ridebmxbikes

Organizing briefings questions

Well that's the challenge really, isn't it.
How do you sum up a huge briefing in written form?

We usually go through the dive - the slots, the angles, the positions in relation to the base. Will it be fast or slow?

Take it back to the exit - every slot, every job. The best way of packing up for this aircraft. Getting in the plane in the right order.

Re-discuss the dive plan. This time with reference to the exit that you've just discussed.

The approach - different for every slot. Radial, stadium etc.

Breakoff - planned height. Where will you be? What is your job.

The what ifs - What if it funnels? What if somebody goes low? What if somebody takes the wrong slot? (Usually keep working to centre until break-off. No more chasing the low man. That's old school and sets up for collissions.)

The flight plan under canopy. Jump is not over until everyone lands.

Then there is all the other stuff: Dress for success. Consider weights. Is your camera dangerous for our stack-up? How you can dock on that guy if he has a freefly suit and no grippers.

There are just too many things to cover here. And that's why its always worthwhile getting coaches on board to cover all these things.

It really depends on the people involved. What the other poster said is true, but one key to organizing, particularly lower-number jumpers, is to make sure that the formation isn't all lower-number jumpers. It's much better to have 2 4-ways, each with 2 inexperienced and 2 semi-experienced, than to have 1 8-way with the same people. ALWAYS.

If you're organizing higher-number people (i.e. have already done plenty), then it's just a matter of making sure they're placed appropriately, and they'll generally tell you if they aren't. If it's lower-number people, one thing that can help is to "assign" a jump buddy to the lowest-number person and place them accordingly, so that the "buddies" are opposite in the formation and therefore looking at each other. That way, too, the more experienced buddy can give some advice to the other while they're at it as well.

Either way, it's much better to plan something that's achievable than ridiculous, given the skill levels. If the average skill level is 200 jumps with no team experience, then planning for 5 formations with out-facing is unlikely to lead to a satisfying jump :P.

Sometimes, a really nicely-flying formation is a good goal, making the approach and flying within the formation part of the jump goals, rather than a get-there-and-get-in approach.

Just some thoughts. When I organize it's generally for smaller, less-experienced groups, so clearly that's my orientation.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Oh -- BTW, if you're organizing, you get to go in the base, or wherever you will best ensure success of the formation. That is job 2. Safety really is job 1 here. Practicing the track-off and funnel plan are good.

If the other guy is a good organizer, then a skills camp is a great idea. If not so great, then maybe you get (or develop) the organizing, and use him to better your skills.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

other things get them to the mock up early. Nothing like planing a formation and seeing someone walking out to the loading area w/o a jump suit and to late to find one for them. I start with a simple jump 1st to check fall rates few basic points and build on it. Pick a landing direction if winds are light. Climb out and exit count. Talk about outside camera guy and break off. I also speak about calming down, remind them that they have a lot of time. Keep it positive, focused and fun but safe most of all!

Let us know how it goes

ridebmxbikes

Hey all! I was wondering what kind of proper briefings do y'all give when organizing 8-ways, scrs and maybe bigger. Some of the basic things like exits, diving down, breakoff. I tried doing a search and only found old events. Just wondering what kind of briefings the experts give out.

I thought that dropzone.com had this article in the Safety area, but I can't find it. I wrote it a long time ago, but much of it is still useful. It is kind of written for the skydiver as well as the load organizer, so it kind of switches perspective as you read it. Let me know what you think.

http://www.skydivestlouisarea.com/lo.htm

ridebmxbikes

Hey all! I was wondering what kind of proper briefings do y'all give when organizing 8-ways, scrs and maybe bigger. Some of the basic things like exits, diving down, breakoff. I tried doing a search and only found old events. Just wondering what kind of briefings the experts give out.

It's really quite impractical to try to list everything. If you are serious about being a load organizer you have to experience it first hand. There is a price to pay and it comes in the form of getting on as many organized loads as possible to find out how things are done.

The best way is to find someone who is well thought of and successful in the world of organizing. If you can't find one of those, then there's always me.

Come to one of my events and follow me around for a few days and jump on every one of my loads. If I know what you are doing I will allow you to hang with me and give as much advice as possible. I mostly organize 4-20 ways with a sprinkling of a few two plane formation loads. My preference is 8-14 and unlike most I really like the odd numbers i.e. 5-7-9-11-13. These numbers allow me to build formations that are a bit unusual looking. Video guys love these because participants are more likely to purchase pictures of unusual formations.

Some of my bigger events include:

Sebastian Invasion - Puerto Rico Boogie - Skydive Expo (Deland) - Chicagoland Independence Boogie - Redemption Boogie (LSPC) - Summerfest (Skydive Chicago) - Labor Day Luau (CSC) - Project Orange (Z-hills).

I hope to see you at one of these.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.