bcxi

Any tips for my first 4-way?

Hey guys,

I am currently working through my Australian B-rel tables and the next step is my first 4-way (B-rel level 10). I'm super excited about doing it and want to make sure I tick all the boxes.

Do you have any advice that I should keep in mind for this first formation?

Level 10 requirements (some of):
- I must enter the formation third or later
- unlinked exit and free built
- I design the dives and organise it (with guidance from instructor)

Just have fun.

I just finished mine and found the difficulty was not much greater than the earlier B rels it just takes a little longer between points.

I did however find I had to put more work in on my fall rate as I think on the earlier B rels the instructor inadvertently helps you a bit too much by matching your natural fall rate.

My instructors were pretty good explaining all the basic fundamentals of 4 way, I'm sure yours will too. It's nothing daunting.. just how to approach a formation, quadrants, what to do if you sink out etc. It's heaps of fun though, you'll love it.

Identify who the base is. Your first priority is to match the fall rate of the base. Your second priority is to be in your slot. That DOES NOT mean GRIPS. It means that you are flying relative to another person, on level and in the correct orientation to the base. Finally take grips. Do not reach for the grips. Reaching indicates that you are not either on level or in your slot (see above).

Be disciplined about these steps and you will be successful.

1. Fall rate (on level)
2. Proximity (in your slot)
3. Pick up grips.
4. Smile, smile, smile.

Have fun.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

bcxi

Hey guys,

I am currently working through my Australian B-rel tables and the next step is my first 4-way (B-rel level 10). I'm super excited about doing it and want to make sure I tick all the boxes.

Do you have any advice that I should keep in mind for this first formation?

Level 10 requirements (some of):
- I must enter the formation third or later
- unlinked exit and free built
- I design the dives and organise it (with guidance from instructor)

For B-10's my personal preference is to take the first one out as a linked exit. It is your first experience with 3 other people in the sky and I've not seen many unlinked dives come together on their first attempt for B-rels.

If you are jumping from a Caravan, then do a nice tight formation for the exit, something like the stairstep diamond (B) is very easy to take out and hold.

Also keep the turns to the minimum, so I'd suggest B (stairstep diamond), J (donut) and then M (star). Don't plan for more than that, and remember to relax and have fun.

I know it can be difficult to get jumpers to go on a B-10 with you, but be a little bit selective. Don't ask the biggest heaviest dude, or the smallest lightest either. Dirt dive it on creepers until you know it backwards! Make sure everyone is wearing a relative work suit with grippers, it makes your life much easier.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

First 4-way was a bit of a fail. Unlinked exit and i managed to get a lot of distance from the base. It took me a while to get back and then i had trouble with my fall rate. Finally managed to get docked to the group but then it was time to break away.

My second attempt was much better! Still an unlinked exit and managed to get to the group much quicker and smoother thanks to my instructor saying "slow is fast". Got the star the i think it's called the open accordion (my logbook isn't here so i can't verify).

Heaps of fun!

Photo attached...

bcxi

First 4-way was a bit of a fail. Unlinked exit and i managed to get a lot of distance from the base. It took me a while to get back and then i had trouble with my fall rate. Finally managed to get docked to the group but then it was time to break away.

My second attempt was much better! Still an unlinked exit and managed to get to the group much quicker and smoother thanks to my instructor saying "slow is fast". Got the star the i think it's called the open accordion (my logbook isn't here so i can't verify).

Heaps of fun!

Photo attached...

So you passed your 1st 4 way? If you made it to your slot safely then it shouldn't matter if you only got one point. Don't be hard on yourself, lots of people never make it to their first 4 way.

http://www.apf.asn.au/Comps-Events/Dive-Pools/Dive-Pools/default.aspx

Your formation from the picture is the Star (M). By the way if you plan on doing much 4 way it is better to move across to using the letters and numbers to remember the formations. In the draws they will only give the letter or number, not the name. I know the names and am struggling to change across.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Yes, the jump was a pass on paper but I wasn't happy with it. The second was much better, much more controlled and enjoyable.

Now I'm just waiting for this terrible weather system to move on so I can get back up and have another go.

Thanks for the link, I had seen people talking about formations by referencing their letters and had no idea what they were. Will print it and stick it to the fridge.

bcxi

Yes, the jump was a pass on paper but I wasn't happy with it. The second was much better, much more controlled and enjoyable.

Now I'm just waiting for this terrible weather system to move on so I can get back up and have another go.

Thanks for the link, I had seen people talking about formations by referencing their letters and had no idea what they were. Will print it and stick it to the fridge.

Yeah the weather is not great right now.

I just remembered these new guides. http://4way.dk/index.php/dive-pool They are great as they are colour coded and also show where you should be looking. Just print out and work from the randoms sheet for now:)

bcxi

***You're jumping at Picton :)

Sure am, it's the only DZ I've jumped at. Will venture out to other locations after I've got my B license

Should come check out Moruya for the state championships next month (Oct 4-7). It's a bit of a trip but it's a great DZ.

bcxi

Heaps of fun!

Photo attached...

Sounds to me like you're doing pretty great for just starting 4way. Keep it up!

Also, it seems your instructor missed a step:
Slow is smooth.
Smooth is fast.
;)

I can't comment on the Aussie progression but general bit of advice for 4way (or any dive) is visualisation. Use your time in the plane to work through how the dive is going to look, work out what moves you need to make to go between dives and think about how you'll do it. Nice deep calming breaths as the door opens / green light comes on and crack on..

and don't forget to smile if there's inside camera ;)

Travman

For the design pick inward facing formations! Forget about a donut. Do something like star - open accordion - crank.

I love donuts, and I am really surprised how hard people find them!

babz

Use your time in the plane to work through how the dive is going to look, work out what moves you need to make to go between dives and think about how you'll do it. Nice deep calming breaths as the door opens / green light comes on and crack on..

and don't forget to smile if there's inside camera ;)

Good advice but I would have the moves worked out well ahead of time. Anything that isn't muscle memory once you're in the plane won't be easy to visualize. Yes, visualize the skydive... but don't over-rehearse. I like to visualize the dive after takeoff, once halfway up and a final time just before jump run. Any more than that and I confuse myself. :S Also don't wait until jump run to breathe and relax. Learn calming strategies and practice them on the way up. B|