jimmurt

Exits for Rookies

I'm looking for opinions on the best random exits for a new rookie team.

Was thinking it would be good to have about 3 or 4 exits that we could practice to nail everytime.

So easy exits and/or exits that transition to other randoms easily.

Thanks.

H, P, B, M

M is surprisingly difficult to get working reliably for some teams. I'd put it further down the list, as Rookies.

A and E are also candidates - E because you can use it as the source of a lot of useful grip switches, although it has a tendency to rotate. A is not that useful, but is surprisingly easy to launch, looks badass, and is a good source of confidence as a result. I'd put them in this order:

H - Bow (gives you G, N, C)
P - Sidebody (gives you F, N)
E - Meeker (gives you G, K, D)
B - Stairstep Diamond
A - Unipod
M - Star

PS: A few years ago, a team won Silver at the UK nationals launching nothing but H. I think there was a Gold shortly afterwards with only a couple of exits (and a lot of tunnel time :P). Knowing a lot of launches matters later, but for Rookies you can get away with concentrating on getting good at the flying part!

[ETA: H. H is a great exit, because it is easy, stable, good for recovering partial funnels, and also teaches good exit timing for the various slots in a straightforward way.]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Agreed. If you have to start from nothing, go with H.

yup - I start new teams off with H and P only.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Agreed. If you have to start from nothing, go with H.

yup - I start new teams off with H and P only.

Actually, one caveat:

Go with H (or P) with the tail having a single leg grip on the OC (or IC), unless you feel comfortable going for the head jam right away. The head jam is really no big deal, but there's an option.
Remster

Go with H (or P) with the tail having a single leg grip on the OC (or IC), unless you feel comfortable going for the head jam right away. The head jam is really no big deal, but there's an option.

Agreed - Actually, for H - I typically have him also take the inside's grip (not OC) and really drill the 'hockey stop' exit with the IC to get that timing worked out. Tail can fall on that OC grip pretty easy from an H (when I'm tail on an H exit, I actually don't head jam, but I have the OC grip between Set and Go anyway since I'm already moving before GO - no need for the head jam). It helps to emphasize to the IC the importance of them getting hips out and down - it helps the Tail to learn to watch the IC hips and position themselves correctly.

Added bonus - Tail leaves on the IC so much, I try to maintain that when I can. And, a left hand grip on the bar for tail is a much more stable grip too while the others are jockeying around.

IMHO

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yup. As well, have Tail take the left-hand grip and hold onto the plane with their right hand.

Means that Tail is more likely to leave with OC and not block IC by waiting until their right-hand grip takes them off the plane.

I hope that makes sense outside my head :)

not block IC by waiting until their right-hand grip takes them off the plane.

I'd love to see a tail strong enough to accidentally stop an IC with a good strong hip check exit......:D

The only problem with taking the OC is when the IC is late, that entire H just strings out and a good tail can help mitigate that if they are on the IC but if they are on the OC, they can only hurt it. But, that's a general problem with timing issues and I'd rather plan to fix the problem than plan to try to minimize it.

Get the OC and IC correctly in tune with each other and I don't care who the tail takes because he leaves with both. But the preference to IC is noted and why.