skydude2000

Event Organizing

Hey there, all you relative workers!!

I'm interested in organizing a 4-way FS scrambles event at my dropzone next summer, and I was wondering if any organizers out there would have any useful tips or information about how start planning the event?

The DZO is optimistic, I've been in contact with a few RW coaches and organizers, and a couple of sponsors. But it's difficult to give the sponsors an idea of potential turn-out at the event, when I'm still in the early stages of researching & planning.

Can you good folks give me a few tips on how to make the event successful?

Blue skies!! :)
PULL!! or DIE!!

Hey, Adam.

If it is a scrambles and not a meet, why do you need sponsors? If your DZ is interested, ask them to advertise (newsletter, emails, etc.) and round up 2 player/coaches for each team and go for it! You'll probably have to wait and see what kind of turnout you get your first time around. Our DZ does one a year hosted by our ladies 4-way team. We advertise in our newsletter and on Facebook. Hope that helps!

Can you explain what the difference would be between a scrambles and a meet? Would a meet be more about teams showing up for a fun competition?

I was thinking more about putting teams together of newer jumpers, with one or two experienced coaches. Whichever definition that fits better, is the one I'd like to do. We might not really need sponsors, but I think it would be easier to attract newer jumpers, and even coaches, if there was an added incentive to attend the event.

Maybe there's not as much planning required as I'd think, but I'd rather be over-prepared than under-prepared.

Thanks for the help!!
PULL!! or DIE!!

Give a holler to Oren Kalb (i think he is okalb on here...dunno how much he actually logs in). You can also shoot me a PM and I'll send you his info.

He and Laura organize the ZHills scrambles every year...and can give you mucho good advice.

Also do a search on here for "scrambles" or "ZHills scrambles" or something like that...a bunch of info pops up - to include the draws, who to stick with who etc.

i'm sure other folks will chime in with other infos etc.

Thanks guys! Seems like so far there is lots of interest. I may even have to cap the event so our coaches can handle it.

I posted the event on Facebook, on the calendar here, the CSPA events page, and I was going to open a thread here when I'm allowed.

Now the question is, how do I keep it from getting too big, and keep it organized?
PULL!! or DIE!!

Now the question is, how do I keep it from getting too big, and keep it organized?

If you have experienced 4-way competitors/coaches, let them decide when to cap registration/sign-ups. Sounds like you're gonna have a great scrambles or meet or whatever!!

Thanks so much for all the help & support guys, it's really coming together.

I did have one other question about video flyers for the event though. I've been told that's one of the hardest parts of the event to organize. I've had a handful of people ask to video, whom I don't personally think are qualified.

But I also don't think, as a non-vidiot, Coach 2 or Instructor, I'm qualified to make that decision. So what can I tell the 201 jump wonders with their new Gopro 3s, that want to fly video for some teams?

I know most of the teams I've been on, the vidiot pays his own slots until he proves with video that he can get all the grips in frame, fly close enough without taking out the formation, before the teams cover his slot.

How could that work with an event like this? Any other ways to prove a vidiot is good enough to film 4-way that can be judged?

Thanks again!! All the tips so far have been great!
PULL!! or DIE!!

When I organize competitions like this I usually have separate prize for best video guy and do not ask vidiots to additional fees - just jump tickets. If their team wanted to cover this - great, also some guys hanging around become attracted to event.

Also I usually go as 'side camera' if I am not sure in this vidiot. Just saying the team that I want outside video for further film. If their video sucks and this vidiot is not a member of their team (so they are not responsible for his mistakes) I give my video to judges. Actually this just happened once in 5 years :)

This is how I do it, but our events are very in-formal and just fun ones.

Thanks BigBug!! That's a great idea!!

I could make a 'Best Video' trophy, like an Academy Award or something, just as an incentive, and appreciation for the video guys. I'm hoping the DZ MIGHT cover some video slots, but I still have to do some negotiating about all that.

I hate that part, lol. If I could get a bunch of good video guys on board with your idea, that would be excellent!

I'd love to hear any other good ideas you've got.

Thanks again!!
PULL!! or DIE!!

Hey guys,

Thanks so much again for the tips! I think the event went off as well as can be expected for my f*rst meet. We had about have the number of competitors I expected, so I think next year, we'll ask to put a slot or two on account at manifest as a deposit for the registration.

The coach, Katie Woods of Team Evolution, was great. Worked a lot with all of the teams, on exits, transitions, formations and positioning when we had a weather-hold on day 2.

I'll need to hire some strippers for next year to attract more video guys.

Thanks to Parachute School of Toronto for hosting, and being so awesome, Katie Woods for coaching, and putting up with my nonsense, Cliff Crawford, Chris Kula, Marc Pinault, Cody Wright, and Peter Aquilina for shooting video.

I would also like to extend my thanks to all of our sponsors, for their generous support; Jeannie Anderson & Mirage Systems, Mark Klingelhoefer and UPT/Vector, Ulla at Merlin Suits, Linda Hardesty at Bonehead Composites,

Redbull Canada, Adam Schmucker & SSK/Cypres, Candace Procos from Vigil America, Melanie Guerin from Skyventure Montreal, Chris Talbert from Sunpath Products Inc., Cliff Crawford & George from Firebird USA, Lauren Demme & Jeff King from Icarus Canopies, Rick Motl at Skydive Wings, Jenny Kron at Daredevil Designs,

Mike Gruwell & Glen Hauenstein at Chutingstar for the awesome goodie-bags, Lesek Stachyra from Aerodyne Research Corporation, and CSPA for sponsoring the coaching!!

Wow, I really didn't mean for this to sound like an Oscars Acceptance speech, but there you go. Hopefully we'll have an even better turn-out next year if I can get my shit together :D

Thanks again to anyone else I may have forgotten. I expect to see ALL of you next year!!

Blue Skies,

Adam.

PULL!! or DIE!!