StreetScooby

Rotating Meeker exits...

The video is looking real choppy for me so its hard to see the exit. But something that has worked well for me and my teams is to have the OC launch their leg more up, than out.. think of kicking the propeller. Then the FF doesn't need to launch as hard because the OC's leg is closer to where they are launching from, which puts less rotational energy into the exit.

Also remind everyone at the mock up that it is EVERYONE's responsibility to stop the spin as soon as it starts.

Your IC also needs to get their hips through the door to enable tail to go on time. Right now your OC is doing a great job, but your IC is rolling out the door over his/ her knee, and tail is still on the step with OC already flying. This is where your rotation comes from.

As someone already said... Tail is late. Point is also early and that is not helping.

Tail should try to drop down and out, point should be the last person on the plane.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

As someone already said... Tail is late. Point is also early and that is not helping.

Tail should try to drop down and out, point should be the last person on the plane.

As point for my team, I can attest to the fact that Point needs to let the formation leave and launch toward the wing. Point DOES NOT dive out. It helps me if I keep my head up on exit too, not looking down like I think this Point was doing.

Oh, and yes, don't ride the wild dog if it's gettin' too funky! B|

It helps for both Point and IC (everybody really) to remember that the center of their body is near their junk - not located at their face.

It really does. Motion on exit needs to initiate at center of mass - not the center of 4 of their 5 senses.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

...and launch toward the wing.

I'm point, and what you pointed out is valid, until about 3 weeks ago. I'm keeping head high and looking over the formation keeping eye contact with tail at all times. I'm also trying to be last off the plane, with no outward force at all. You're about the Nth person (where N>>1) to say "launch toward the wing". To be honest, I don't know what you mean by that. Are you saying be aggressive and head towards the tip of the wing?
We are all engines of karma

"launch toward the wing". To be honest, I don't know what you mean by that. Are you saying be aggressive and head towards the tip of the wing?

Normally, when I hear that tip, it's aimed at a team training out of a high-wing aircraft like a Caravan or Twin Otter. It means that you think about going 'up and out' not 'straight out' or 'down and out'.

I'm not a huge fan of using it as a coaching tip myself, but if it works for you, go for it :-)

Personally, when I'm trying to describe what point does on an E exit, I say "place yourself above your centers". To do that, think about a) leaving later than you think, b) presenting your hips to the wind, and c) not pushing too far out of the airplane. When the team's timing clicks, it can be quite the lazy exit for point.

Best of luck working it out; it can be a frustrating exit initially, but when it clicks it's heaps of fun.

Personally, when I'm trying to describe what point does on an E exit, I say "place yourself above your centers". To do that, think about a) leaving later than you think, b) presenting your hips to the wind, and c) not pushing too far out of the airplane. When the team's timing clicks, it can be quite the lazy exit for point.

This is exactly what I'm doing, and thinking. The exits are not rotating nearly as much as they used to, but we still get a bit. I believe our IC needs to get out the door faster. We are working on it.

Thanks.
We are all engines of karma

The way I think of the IC exit, their goal is to get out of the door lower than the OC. That's an extremely difficult goal to achieve, but it's good to aim at. When thinking about the exit, I break it into three parts:

Exit position: Almost a hip-check through the rear of the door. Rather than exiting where OC is, they want to be low, compact, and going through the part of the door that Rear was occupying. IC needs to avoid leaving their feet in the airplane; they almost leave tucked in a ball. This means that ICs leg - which Rear is holding onto - leaves at the same time as their arms, and not later. Removes 90% of the remaining tension from the exit.

Setup: Personally - I'm 6'3" - when setting up in the door, I have to think about being low, on the balls of my feet, and almost facing forward rather than out. This allows me to get my legs out at the same time as my arms/head. The better IC is, the less this will matter. Great ICs can exit from almost anywhere.

Timing: Try to beat the OC off the airplane. You can't, but if you're aiming for that, you'll probably avoid being late :P.

It'll take some time for these to come together, but if Rear's grip on IC and IC's grip on Point don't have much tension, you're almost there.

All of this becomes a lot easier if Rear gets aggressively right-shoulder-down early, and OC gets hips up and square into the wind.

Most importantly, don't forget to have fun :)

I have to think about being low, on the balls of my feet, and almost facing forward rather than out. This allows me to get my legs out at the same time as my arms/head. The better IC is, the less this will matter. Great ICs can exit from almost anywhere.

Timing: Try to beat the OC off the airplane. You can't, but if you're aiming for that, you'll probably avoid being late :P.

I like this a lot. I'm OC, and I have the count. On all the exits, I stay as far foward as possible to give my IC's big child bearing hips room to clear the door (the point can be entirely/mostly inside for most exits and it doesn't seem to hurt at all) I know things are going right when I see my IC clearing the door frame hips first and before or at the same time I'm calling GO

I know on some exits, my IC really is beating me off the plane (barely) - or at least, that's the feel the two of us go for and when it happens, those are fantastic exits.

Also, to assist the IC, the OC has to really try to launch forward into the prop blast and up a little bit. But that forward bit is huge for us. OC is living in prop blast, but the IC isn't - so that launch forward kind of cancels out the effect of us leaving with two different environments. (find and OC with a strong right leg :D)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants