StreetScooby

Rotating Meeker exits...

... to give my IC's big child bearing hips room to clear the door

I think your life expectancy just decreased.

@Bill I've printed this statement to show around at the DZ ... Looks like we'll be having "free fireworks" this weekend.

I just love stirring the pot. :P
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

... to give my IC's big child bearing hips room to clear the door

I think your life expectancy just decreased.

@Bill I've printed this statement to show around at the DZ ... Looks like we'll be having "free firewoks" this weekend.

I just love stirring the pot. :P

It's a standing joke, and I'm out of state this weekend - enjoy :D

"firewoks"? is that Star Wars meets the Last Air Bender?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The way I think of the IC exit, their goal is to get out of the door lower than the OC. That's an extremely difficult goal to achieve, but it's good to aim at. When thinking about the exit, I break it into three parts:

Exit position: Almost a hip-check through the rear of the door. Rather than exiting where OC is, they want to be low, compact, and going through the part of the door that Rear was occupying. IC needs to avoid leaving their feet in the airplane; they almost leave tucked in a ball. This means that ICs leg - which Rear is holding onto - leaves at the same time as their arms, and not later. Removes 90% of the remaining tension from the exit.

Setup: Personally - I'm 6'3" - when setting up in the door, I have to think about being low, on the balls of my feet, and almost facing forward rather than out. This allows me to get my legs out at the same time as my arms/head. The better IC is, the less this will matter. Great ICs can exit from almost anywhere.

Timing: Try to beat the OC off the airplane. You can't, but if you're aiming for that, you'll probably avoid being late :P.

It'll take some time for these to come together, but if Rear's grip on IC and IC's grip on Point don't have much tension, you're almost there.

All of this becomes a lot easier if Rear gets aggressively right-shoulder-down early, and OC gets hips up and square into the wind.

Most importantly, don't forget to have fun :)

Good explanations, everybody! Guess we all have variations on how to describe the Point exit for an E. If I remember nothing else it is to not be early and to be above my centers looking down the line at my Tail flyer. :)

...and launch toward the wing.

I'm point, and what you pointed out is valid, until about 3 weeks ago. I'm keeping head high and looking over the formation keeping eye contact with tail at all times. I'm also trying to be last off the plane, with no outward force at all. You're about the Nth person (where N>>1) to say "launch toward the wing". To be honest, I don't know what you mean by that. Are you saying be aggressive and head towards the tip of the wing?

Yea, I didn't mean be agressive, just let the IC move, get that hip down and present to the wing. Sounds like you're getting it down pretty good though. :)

Guess we all have variations on how to describe the Point exit for an E.

Yup. I think that's the fun of teaching/coaching. There's a ton of different ways to explain any given move, and you need to find the way that works for the person learning, not what works for the person teaching.

Hopefully the various descriptions have helped out Scooby's team somewhat. And hopefully rehmwa is still alive.

Scooby: it'd be great to see an updated video, if you have one lying around.

We're trying to get video from our camera guy. We've been using a dropbox arrangement, but that's having problems with the camera guys Mac. Once I get them onto my hard drive, I'll cut them up, and post an E exit. We're still having issues. Getting pretty frustrating...
We are all engines of karma

I asked Jack Jefferies that same question once. His answer was, "Key it."

For real.

So since this thread was posted, I've found myself as IC on a last-minute casual 4-way team prepping for Nationals.

I swear every single time our Meeker exits rotated this weekend, the first thought that came into my head was "Key it!"

:D:DB|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

We're still working on this. Have made improvements, and have also discovered that point is the least of the concerns here. OC basically needs to be head down out of the door, with his legs up the hill, so the point can stay head high. IC must be out of the door completely facing prop blast in a head high position. Basically, IC and OC must be acrobats. This is a very difficult thing to do... bob.dino's comments on IC actually make sense to me now.
We are all engines of karma

you got it.

timing of the IC's hip check early vs the OC's actual departure helps reduce the 'acrobatic' aspect of their jobs, but you're right, those two really own eliminating that rotation

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

timing of the IC's hip check early vs the OC's actual departure helps reduce the 'acrobatic' aspect of their jobs, but you're right, those two really own eliminating that rotation

Thanks, rehmwa. I agree completely!

On another note, I won't see you at Nationals. My team disbanded after a couple injuries. Maybe another year. :(

On another note, I won't see you at Nationals. My team disbanded after a couple injuries. Maybe another year. :(

Tough guys, we only disbanded after the latest injury (a twisted knee in Paraclete last month - he's fine now). That's another trouble with us old guys. Great season though, scoring super high and we had a blast.

Tough guys, we only disbanded after the latest injury (a twisted knee in Paraclete last month - he's fine now). That's another trouble with us old guys. Great season though, scoring super high and we had a blast.

Try 8way with a bunch of old farts. We went through 2 full time alternates, and a couple of ringers.
Remster

Try 8way with a bunch of old farts. We went through 2 full time alternates, and a couple of ringers.

And that was just for the guy that collected all the walkers in the loading area once the team was on the plane.:o
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

And that was just for the guy that collected all the walkers in the loading area once the team was on the plane.:o

but there is an up side - most of them get all their farts out early by just climbing the ladder during loading

Hey, rehmwa. I had to have emergency hernia surgery last week. Good timing as far as jump season goes though. Just hope I heal up 100%. :|

recover fast, Ed

but there is an up side - most of them get all their farts out early by just climbing the ladder during loading

You would think, wouldn't you... :|[:/]
Remster

Thanks, rehmwa! Yesterday was 10 days since my surgery and I was out mowing my yard (albeit a little slowly). Not having groin pain like some people who have had hernia surgery. Maybe mine wasn't so bad after all. I really wanted to wait - because I had my invite to the Kaleidoscope Dives with BJ Worth - but my lower intestine was being strangulated and I was having weak spells. At least all that is gone now and I'm on the mend. :)

Not having groin pain like some people who have had hernia surgery.

it's my understanding that when you are really old and married, that most of the sensation in that area is gone anyway -

so that's a plus