ljg

Getting a Pit Special - Spandex Sleeves?

Hi,

Does anyone have the spandex forearms on a Pit Special?
Are they comfortable?
Do they make a big difference in fall rate compared to supplex?
Is the "Neptune Pocket" that they offer with them any good?

I'm intrigued with this idea of being able to use "slip Ons" with them. But I want to know if they are comfortable. For fall rate, I could probably just go with supplex forearms like the rest of my suit (except for the cordura booties and kneepads, which I am getting)

For background info:
I've got 2 years and about 90 jumps. This will be my first "real" RW suit (i.e. with booties). I've been flying an old tonysuit (Supplex) from 25 years ago with grippers but no booties. I'm 6'1" and 170lbs. My current ancient tonysuit is all supplex and is built for someone around 3" short than me, so it fits snug.

Hi,

Does anyone have the spandex forearms on a Pit Special?

Yes

Are they comfortable?

Yes, except in hot weather. I don't have them for comfort, I have them for performance.

Do they make a big difference in fall rate compared to supplex?

Depends if you need to increase or decrease your fall rate (or not).

The suit is a primary factor in adjusting fall rate.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just to confirm:

Spandex as sleeve on the jumpsuit will give you a slightly faster fallrate (and cleaner air) than supplex.

I wear them in AZ, and dont find them uncomfortable even in summer (white jumpsuit tho)

Having Supplex slip-on sleeves will give you a bit of flexibility.
Remster

At your height and weight, in my humble opinion you may tend to be a bit floaty -- ie. falling a bit slow relative to the others you are jumping with. Tight spandex forearms can help increase your fall rate. They are comfortable. You can get slip-ons if you think you might need them to slow you down on some jumps. But with your body type, you will need to speed up rather than slow down on most jumps.

I've got a Pit Special, with spandex forearms and comp grips. It's the best jumpsuit I've ever owned in 25 years in the sport.

My wife builds jumpsuits, so we've seen a lot. your height and weight - yes. Spandex forearms is most likely. You most likely tend to float, so everything fit for more speed is probably what you need.

Also, you'll have even more surface area with your booties and full gripper set (you better get the full grippers), so that will also slow you more - offset that with a snug fit, and spandex forearms. If you are currently falling well with your friends, or even floaty, then you might also go with the faster nylon over the nylon supplex (and definitely not polycotton).

But, you need to answer the question for sure. In your current suit (noted it's a snug fit). Is it easier to stay up with your friends, or stay down with them? Do you wear weights now?

Tony runs a good shop - it's silly to ask here. Call them up while getting your order ready and ask those questions.

Make sure you get measured by someone that knows what they are doing, don't be afraid to call the company if any measurement isn't crystal clear in your mind. Measure everything twice.

We've had to refot most suits that were from other companies because they were mail order to our locals and the customer didn't do the order form correctly.

Edit: and, if you don't fly mantis, it's worth learning - you'll learn a LOT more fall rate range on both ends

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants