camamel

Biggest star so far?

Some body know what is the biggest star so far and where and when it was done?
I remember 30 and probably 40 way star at Z-Hills back in the early 80's. But I am pretty sure it as been beat since, even if the tendency is not toward that kind of records any more.
I think that record was broken in States in the 90's with something like an 80 way.
Any information about that kind of formation will be really appreciate .

Thanks

Richard
When you think you're good...this is when you become dangerous.

There's a pic (circa mid-90s, if I had to guess) at SkyDance of one in the 65-person range. I'm sure it's not the biggest, but I still get a kick out of it every time I see it. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I want to say it was 104 and done in Perris. IIRC, they had a center 'sacrificial' round base and looped off of it. Then they dropped grips and the loops off of the base were in a 104 way star.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Thanks Ron
I remember a big one using a looped technique to built it.
That's the one. I never herd about any more attempt at that kind of formation.
Anybody out there have a picture of that big star?

In the 80s, Z-hills use to have 40 way speed competitions out of DC-3s and the last round was always a star.

I've been in multiple 40 way stars and several 43 way stars. They are very difficult to build, especially as a direct build.

I think the largest direct build was in the 60 way range back in the late 80s early 90s.

(This doesn't give away my age does it?)
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

In the 80s, Z-hills use to have 40 way speed competitions out of DC-3s and the last round was always a star.

I've been in multiple 40 way stars and several 43 way stars. They are very difficult to build, especially as a direct build.

I think the largest direct build was in the 60 way range back in the late 80s early 90s.

(This doesn't give away my age does it?)

There are photos on the Bird House wall at ZHills of some very large stars. Since I left ZHills on Sunday, I can't count the number of jumpers. MAybe a local can.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I remember a big one using a looped technique to built it.

Yeah, I think it was 104ish. If it's the one I was thinking of there were six six-way anchors at the _ends_ of the loops, and when it opened up there were still those six-way rounds there - so it wasn't a "true" star since 18 people were facing out.

I don't know about formations (never really interested me) but the largest round I was ever in was 31 0r 32 over Corona raceway for the Jerry Lewis kids thing that was held every year. I no longer have the log book that jump was entered in but o'll bet someone else here was in it. :o

D4021, C8295, California Parachutist ID card #237, USPA ASO WE/10 7022 7202. Never did send my NSCR from '73 in but still have the old paper work filled out.

Some body know what is the biggest star so far and where and when it was done?
I remember 30 and probably 40 way star at Z-Hills back in the early 80's. But I am pretty sure it as been beat since, even if the tendency is not toward that kind of records any more.
I think that record was broken in States in the 90's with something like an 80 way.
Any information about that kind of formation will be really appreciate .

Thanks

Richard

It was the 100-way starfish done at Perris in 1997. I was on it.
And everyone was facing in.
The previous record was a 64-way star done in 1996 at Skydance, that I was also on.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

It was the 100-way starfish done at Perris in 1997. I was on it.
And everyone was facing in.
The previous record was a 64-way star done in 1996 at Skydance, that I was also on.

I was on two separate world record star attempts that year as well in the east, with Sandy Wambach. They weren't successful though. The first one was at McMinnville, TN and it was a 66 way. The base was a 10 way star IIRC with loops all around it, and the loop ends had to switch from leg grips on the base to their arm grips then spread out. Never really completed the first point though.

The second event was at Chester, SC and it was a 100+ way, same strategy. Same results as well. The overall talent level wasn't where it needed to be for success. [:/]

I'm guessing a starfish is just a star that hasn't expanded out into a full circle, which really isn't easy to do at those sizes.

My largest full circle star is a 33 way with Roger Ponce at Skydive Monroe in the early 2000's. We started with a 3 way base and wackers that transitioned into three 11 way stars, then each star took a turn making a pass between the other two stars, before joining into the big one. That was a lot of fun. Roger called it a Star Wars dive. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Do you have picture of it?
What is a starfish compare to a regular star?
Was it a 100Way or 104 Way?

Thanks

Richard

I remember it being a 110 way load.
The 10way base was eventually 'let go of' to create the starfish round.
So the actual round was only 100.
I do not have a picture of it.
I don't collect skydive pics on my walls because they remind me of all the dead friends.
IIRC Skeff and Raoul were some of the photographers.

There should be a picture of it at the BombShelter.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

My goal for the coming summer is to built a 30 way star at my DZ. If we have enough talent, and I think we will, we should be able to do even bigger then that.
To support that event I will have three GranCaravan on site.

Richard

We are 45 minutes from Montreal in Canada. So far we are the only DZ in the country with two full time turbines . in 2012 we will also have a third turbine to support our specials events but this time it will be the fastest climbing Caravan in the country!!!

Richard