theonlyski

Sleeve Construction

So, I've decided I want to make some sleeves to get a little extra drag on some jumps (the removable ones that you just slide over your arms).

Anyone have tips/construction details? Materials and such would be great!

(yes, I did a search but didn't find anything useful)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The ones that came with my Tony Suit have worked well for years

Simple design: constant size tube, polycotton,. heavy doubled over lycra for both ends, about 3 inches finished length with the arm side slightly wider.

Exactly, or with a 100% cotton, not a blend for a little slower rate of fall.

For the sleeves I had, we used the exact measurements for the elbow and wrist ends, just like the suit, but had 75% added to the circumference of the body (tube part) to get the desired amount of material. But I am sure that number can vary.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

So it's the lycra on both ends and just a bunch of cotton material 'tube' between/connecting the two? Making sure I'm not missing something.

How baggy did you make yours Matt? Any pictures?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

The ones that came with my Tony Suit have worked well for years

Simple design: constant size tube, polycotton,. heavy doubled over lycra for both ends, about 3 inches finished length with the arm side slightly wider.

The entire sleeve was 3" or what was it? Just checking.

that would be the lycra or spandex cuffs I'd think. the sleeve would be a bit longer than the forearm

cuff(wrist) - tube - cuff(above elbow joint)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

that would be the lycra or spandex cuffs I'd think. the sleeve would be a bit longer than the forearm

cuff(wrist) - tube - cuff(above elbow joint)

Thanks! Any idea on how much is effective/non effective on a sleeve? Don't want huge balloon arms if I don't need them.

So it's the lycra on both ends and just a bunch of cotton material 'tube' between/connecting the two? Making sure I'm not missing something.

No pics of the sleeves in action. And I gave them away a few years ago.

Mine was a "do it my selfer".

The Forearm measurement was 13.75" at its largest, round up to 14", add 75% ish to make a 24" piece (not tapered) for the tube, sewn with the heavy spandex Mike uses for his Tetris Suits. They worked well, but I am sure there are variables to the size.

The elbow end had the 2" cuff (wished it was wider some times when I wore a layer of warmth under the jump) suit, and a 3" cuff at the wrist, it was a good way for the wrist mount to have less bulk under.

Matt

The Forearm measurement was 13.75" at its largest, round up to 14", add 75% ish to make a 24" piece (not tapered) for the tube, sewn with the heavy spandex Mike uses for his Tetris Suits. They worked well, but I am sure there are variables to the size.

The elbow end had the 2" cuff (wished it was wider some times when I wore a layer of warmth under the jump) suit, and a 3" cuff at the wrist, it was a good way for the wrist mount to have less bulk under.

Matt

Thanks for the details... How wide were they? I got the length part down, but what about the width (in between the cuffs)?

Thanks for the details... How wide were they? I got the length part down, but what about the width (in between the cuffs)?

you're getting silly now. measure the circumference of your forearm and figure it out.

then add a TON and make it sloppy.

you can always remove material and make them narrower as you fly with them and see what you need - harder to make it fatter

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Mine have a snap on the jumpsuit that mates with the sleeve at the elbow end - that helps to hold them up. (One of my snaps is a little janky and doesn't always "click" in tight, and that sleeve will sometimes slide down, where the side with the good snap will of course always stay put). Just something to consider as an extra help for keeping the sleeves in place.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Matt

I measured from the inside bend of my elbow to the inside of my wrist. When I made the seam with the cuffs it shortened up a bit, but that was fine as the cuffs and sleeve all started long.

Matt

I think I have a good idea now. Let's see how it works out. Hope to have something in the next few days.

I have had a loose fitting pair of sleeves invert and cover my hands while tracking. when pull time came I looked at my right hand, went WTF? and pulled the sleeve off with my other hand, not a big deal but you may want to use a snap as mentioned above or some other method of making sure that the upper (and potentially lower, because I've had sleeves "bunch up" on me) are securely fastened to your jumpsuit.

I had Bev Suits make me a pair, they already had my measurement on file, pretty cheap too. Before this I had borrowed someone's who didn't fit right, the material was so bulky that it slid and covered my altimeter in freefall, but haven't had a problem since the "custom" ones.