dancy

Wearing lead

I have seen a few rigs that had pockets for weights sewn on the side that rests on the back. Sure, you feel the weight when you put the rig on all the way until you exit, then once you deploy, the weight is off of you. :)

I've seen a couple of javelins like that. I likes. Just wouldn't be smart to wear lead in your rig while jumping near water - you can't ditch it like you can a weightbelt. I'm not actually sure you can use it in a swoop competition, for that reason.

no water training in netherlands I see :(

I have seen a few rigs that had pockets for weights sewn on the side that rests on the back. Sure, you feel the weight when you put the rig on all the way until you exit, then once you deploy, the weight is off of you. :)

I've seen a couple of javelins like that. I likes. Just wouldn't be smart to wear lead in your rig while jumping near water - you can't ditch it like you can a weightbelt. I'm not actually sure you can use it in a swoop competition, for that reason.

no water training in netherlands I see :(

I'm talking about the canopy piloting (swoop) rules

Additional weight must have quick releases

Does your rig have a quick release?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

>Just wouldn't be smart to wear lead in your rig while jumping near water - you can't
>ditch it like you can a weightbelt.

Also a note here - skydivers (especially women) will sometimes wear weights either in a vest or in a belt under their jumpsuits. Needless to say this is a very bad idea near water.

well swimming in water with lead isnt instant death. especially if you dont break the surface (or break momentarily for breath only if it takes more than one breath)...its quite easy to swim with weight added.

but thats a good point and i swear i have seen people put lead on underneath their jumpsuit on dzs with somewhat large ponds adjacent.

We tried that, swimming with lead. 16 kg in a belt on a rope so you could let go of the belt. I couldn't even get back to the surface myself. JC Colclasure managed the longest, however we're not all built like him.

This was before the new weight rules in swooping, and people were jumping with 30+kg (66lbs) of lead then, sometimes over deep water.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

66lb of lead haha :S

we had a 25lb weight to swim with a distance underwater and breaking surface as part of an advanced lifeguard training i did years back. it wasn't too bad.

but not everybody is trained to swim strongly either obviously. scissor kick to the surface man!

Underwater wasn't a problem with 35lbs of lead :P

Breaking surface I could not do. Almost, but not quite.

We scared the local lifeguards too: their baywatch floaty thingie was no help, we just sank. Neither was a life vest.

The one thing that did help was one of the inflatable swimming ring we got for 1 buck each and which we used to mark the swoop sensors with. THAT worked to keep one above water, including the 35lbs of lead.

:ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Underwater wasn't a problem with 35lbs of lead :P

Breaking surface I could not do. Almost, but not quite.

We scared the local lifeguards too: their baywatch floaty thingie was no help, we just sank. Neither was a life vest.

The one thing that did help was one of the inflatable swimming ring we got for 1 buck each and which we used to mark the swoop sensors with. THAT worked to keep one above water, including the 35lbs of lead.

:ph34r:

You should do some swimming with the 5 gal water cans, holding up 5 gal of water (42 lbs) above water is WAY harder than it looks and it seriously helps your swimming endurance.:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

well swimming in water with lead isnt instant death. especially if you dont break the surface (or break momentarily for breath only if it takes more than one breath)...its quite easy to swim with weight added.

but thats a good point and i swear i have seen people put lead on underneath their jumpsuit on dzs with somewhat large ponds adjacent.

Not a good plan.....

I spend a lot of time in the water weekly with lots of lead and if you are wearing normal skydiving gear/shoes and land in the water, you better have great skills or help handy.

You will rarely go under after a big breath, it's after you exhale.

Swimming with lead takes some practice and is not something to learn "on the job."
Dano

My new belt. 6 pounds sewn in (took a couple tricks to figure that out). and 4 removable.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

How much weights you wear is a very personal thing, and there is no set amount that you should wear based on your weight and height. It depends on how much you arch when flying normally, your jumpsuit, your rig, probably even your fat to muscle ratio. I've been very surprised to hear what other bigway jumpers have been wearing, I could certainly not have guessed.

One or two pounds doesn't make much of a difference to anyone, but you can still start out small and then add more.

I'm really short, so I find that wearing a belt that isn't too bulky is most comfortable. I adjust my belt so it goes around my tummy and doesn't rest on my hips. If I need to wear massive amounts of weight, I wear two belts, as one very full belt becomes very stiff. I wear the belts outside my jumpsuit, figuring that I'd be able to free myself from them in case of a water landing. However, if there's any realistic chance of that, I'd probably go without.

If you are familiar with your canopy and can do consistently soft landings with a good flare, then you can load up quite a lot even on a smaller canopy. If you just aim at the planet and pound in, you will injure yourself even with just a little extra weight.

Weights speed you up and makes it easier for you to concentrate on flying instead of just keeping up, if you're going to get any good on your belly, you need to be able to use gear to control fallrate. Don't listen to the people who say that you can just do it with body position.

I hope this helps!

;)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

My exit weight is about 154 lbs (I'm a thin, tall woman). I want to do RW with a guy who is 215 lbs. How much lead should I wear? Is it preferable to put on a belt or a west?

I'm in your shoes. As others have said, definitely build your lead up slowly and make sure you feel okay with your wing loading on both main and reserve. I've always worn a belt over my jumpsuit. On the hips seems to be the best option for efficiency in your moves as it keeps your centre of gravity where you want it. I'd also consider getting your jumping partner to slow down as much as he can with the right suit - although it seems a lot of bigger jumpers tend to put the onus on the small guy [sigh]... Lead can be pretty uncomfortable above 5 or 6 lbs wherever you put it, especially if you're running for a load or if you have a long walk back. The shape of the belt is also a factor as some have deep pockets and if your waist is long-ish this lets you load most of it on the front (ie not between your back and the rig).

I've regularly jumped with 20lbs or so but frankly it's not a preference, just a fair exchange for slots/ jumps/ skydives I wanted to be a part of :) I also like to think it's a good workout... :S

Rehmwa is right when he talks about Mantis. 10 years ago I did 4-way with 17-18 lbs of lead. Today I am on a team and only wear 10 lbs of lead because I learned Mantis. I weigh 128 right out of the shower and our Tail flyer weighs 180 or so.

Cheers!
Ed