StreetScooby

"Breaking down" 4-way video

This is the way I have been taught to do it, assuming the team's coach is not present. Watch the jump as a team, and simply watch the entire formation the first time through. In other words, don't focus on yourself at first. Then watch the jump again and this time focus on your own flying. Then everyone gets a chance to say something positive about either the team as a whole or their own flying. Then mention something to work on, either for the team or yourself. Say nothing negative about an individual team member, and try to keep a positive attitude in general. Every team member gets a chance to speak, and the rest of the team stays quiet while someone is speaking. In analyzing the jump, look to the specific team or individual goals, like better communication, tighter blocks, better stops, whatever it might be.

If your coach is there, obviously let him or her take control of the debrief.

The airspeed articles in the links at the top of this very forum should have a 'debrief' file. It's good stuff - like Scooby's summary is based on it.

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/articles/DebriefingStructure.shtml

frankly - ALL those articles are a good read

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This is the way I have been taught to do it, assuming the team's coach is not present. Watch the jump as a team, and simply watch the entire formation the first time through. In other words, don't focus on yourself at first. Then watch the jump again and this time focus on your own flying. Then everyone gets a chance to say something positive about either the team as a whole or their own flying. Then mention something to work on, either for the team or yourself. Say nothing negative about an individual team member, and try to keep a positive attitude in general. Every team member gets a chance to speak, and the rest of the team stays quiet while someone is speaking. In analyzing the jump, look to the specific team or individual goals, like better communication, tighter blocks, better stops, whatever it might be.

Yep, this is what the guys I jump with do, also. And it's effective. I'm looking for a "standardized vocabulary", for the lack of a better phrase.
We are all engines of karma

It's good stuff...

Yes it is. Anybody who's done 4-way knows that 80% happens on the ground and involves keeping a group of competitive guys moving in the same direction without the thing blowing up. Jack's debrief approach emphasizes a people approach, and rightfully so.

I'm playing around with some ideas in my head that involve using computers. Anytime you use computers, you really need an unambiguous vocabulary. In this context, what vocabulary would you use to "break down 4-way video"?

e.g.,
- we're consistently imparting counter-clockwise momentum to the bottom end of ritz-pick... What can we do about that?

Those kinds of words... Ideally, "technical" words that can be used to complete Jack's phrase:

"Setting goals for improvement from jump to jump,..."

without naming names :D:D
We are all engines of karma

Interesting idea about the program. If you developed requirements and constraints for each position in every analyzed formation (slot 1, formation 1 to 2 transition = 360 degree turn, optimum time to complete +/- some acceptable deviation, x or y slide from position center +/- some acceptable deviation).