timrf79

Safety watch outs jumping in costume

Demos, even informal ones, have a disproportionately large number of injuries and fatalities.

Don't be one. Keep it simple; they say add only one new thing at a time, consider a monkey costume (which limits vision if it has a mask, tactile feedback if weird gloves, and increases chance of entanglement if there's a tail) as several new things at once, and be conservative in everything else. Eg consider the possibility of borrowing or renting one size larger of your canopy if it'll fit in your container, and your main is kind of small.

It's not just another skydive. If it goes right, it's cool. If it goes wrong, it makes the evening news.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Bob_Church

You might want to tack down the loose parts, like the vest. Just a few loops of nylon thread to keep things from flapping around or feeling like handles at the wrong time.

That is a good thought. I will look into that.
Was thinking the opposite, making the loose parts "cut-a-way" friendly; meaning they come of easily if needed to.

I will look at the costume when it comes in, might just be saved for halloween.

Hee!
Hee!
I had a similar experience with a tandem student who had massive dreadlocks! Since his hair was far too big to fit inside a leather helmet, his dreads blew in the breeze. I had to look around the dreads to see my altimeter. After opening, I had to push his locks away to confirm that 3-rings were still attached.
He was an athletic carpenter/hippy from Salt Spring Island and we both thoroughly enjoyed the jump.

riggerrob

Hee!
Hee!
I had a similar experience with a tandem student who had massive dreadlocks! Since his hair was far too big to fit inside a leather helmet, his dreads blew in the breeze. I had to look around the dreads to see my altimeter. After opening, I had to push his locks away to confirm that 3-rings were still attached.
He was an athletic carpenter/hippy from Salt Spring Island and we both thoroughly enjoyed the jump.

I won't take people with dreds on tandems. I will vomit on that unwashed mess of bullshit.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

***Hee!
Hee!

I won't take people with dreds on tandems. I will vomit on that unwashed mess of bullshit.

..............................................................................................

Not sure where your prejudice originated??????
While it is rumoured that some Masai warriors weave cattle dung into their dreadlocks .... North American dreadlocks get washed on a regular basis. I have never noticed any unusual smells from NA dreadlocks.

OTOH I insist on people with braided, beaded cornrows wearing frap hats out of fear that their beads will ruin my boyish good looks.
Hah!
Hah!

DJL

Hippies. Love 'em but here isn't enough Patchouli to cover the smell of unwashed white-boy dreds.

Hah!

I am a huge Reggae fan. What kills me are the dreadlocked white boys at the concerts trying their best to sound street/yard Jamaican.

There are even lessons online:

http://theorangemango.com/how-to-talk-like-a-rasta/

https://jamaicanize.com/translate?text=you+fake+rasta

Yah Mon.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Awesome to go from monkey costumes to dreads and petchulie stank. Just go as an Olympic diver and you'll be fine. Or make sure your suit has an authentic leather monkey butt so nothing will cover yer hackey :) Oh ya.. got a buddy that's a TI and he won't tandem dudes with hair-knots. Not for safety's sake, just because he doesn't like dudes with hair-knots.
Whale oil beef hooked

timrf79

***You might want to tack down the loose parts, like the vest. Just a few loops of nylon thread to keep things from flapping around or feeling like handles at the wrong time.

That is a good thought. I will look into that.
Was thinking the opposite, making the loose parts "cut-a-way" friendly; meaning they come of easily if needed to.

I will look at the costume when it comes in, might just be saved for halloween.

A couple of hook knives might be good. One high (chest strap) and one low, (knee pocket). When I'm doing CRW I like a third one laced into my shoe laces. Hopefully if all goes wrong you'll be able to get your hands on one of them.

I got a break Sunday when the air show started an hour and a half late due to weather. We still had a great show, it was amazing, sold all the chicken dinners and everything, but there wasn't time for a Santa jump with the candy drop. I hate doing the Santa jump. I got to open the show jumping smoke but left The Suit in the bag.

DanG

Long time jumper (who shall remain nameless) two rules for life:

1. Balls don't touch.
2. Don't jump in costume.

:D:D

Vskydiver and I did a canopy stack into a AAA ballpark in costume many years ago. I drew the short straw and got the Santa Clause costume. She was a fantastic blonde Supergirl. Very fun, but be careful.

JohnMitchell

***Long time jumper (who shall remain nameless) two rules for life:

1. Balls don't touch.
2. Don't jump in costume.

:D:D

Vskydiver and I did a canopy stack into a AAA ballpark in costume many years ago. I drew the short straw and got the Santa Clause costume. She was a fantastic blonde Supergirl. Very fun, but be careful.

Prove it.... pics or video...... of V, not you John. ;)
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

JohnMitchell

Walking in after the jump, and in the packing area. :)
And a couple of our stack pics from various other times.

Rad! Great pics! B|
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com