Glitch

Russian 186way - Record!

Congrats! Video on ABC news

"Skydivers in Russia have broken the national record for the largest connected free-fall formation when 186 people joined in the air.

The team of a training centre in Kolomna, a town 100 kilometers south-east of Moscow, beat the previous record by six people.

“On August 11, the efforts of the parachutists bore fruit. An aerial video showed that they were successful in making the 186-people formation,” Aerograd Kolomna centre head Roman Lezhnev told reporters on Friday.

The team jumped out of ten planes at a height of 6,500 meters."
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

that was a long ass deployment out of the center.

Maybe the jumpers was held by other jumpers, and was to be extracted from the formation. Kind of to keep the grips to the last possible moment, giving extra second or so for somone to yet to dock.

Notice that the 'snivel' phase does not slow him down, making me think that he was held on purpose by other jumpers.

Edited to add: theory confirmed at 1:40 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZs6ZxDuyyA&feature=related

Interesting. What do the FAI/IPC have to say about that? I guess the rules are judged on grips, but someone with a container open and certainly some parachute out is no longer freefalling.

That is of course it is to give more time for grips, rather than give a better opening by ensuring the parachute is inflating properly in the very dirty air.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Interesting. What do the FAI/IPC have to say about that? I guess the rules are judged on grips, but someone with a container open and certainly some parachute out is no longer freefalling.

That is of course it is to give more time for grips, rather than give a better opening by ensuring the parachute is inflating properly in the very dirty air.

That is of course it is to give more time for grips-as I know,two world and three russian records was made on the same shape.
rather than give a better opening by ensuring the parachute is inflating properly in the very dirty air-this guy have cutaway on 186-way record attempt:)),but only one on this event.