murray16

fast Fall rate how to change

Im like 185 and 5' 11'' and i fall like a freakin rock. I was on a 6 way the other day and pulled dowbn half the group and ended up just chillin around 200 ft off to the side below them. I was wearing the largets suit possible it was like a wing suit and i still fell liek a rock. Any suggestions? Ive been told to get swoop chords in my jumpsuit when i get it? correct or not?

So you sunk out and ended up 200 feet down. Were you able to stay 200 feet down or were you accelerating away from the group? How experienced was the group? A inexperienced group will likely have a wide ranging fall rate.

What is the suit you are wearing made of? Do you have booties?

Swoop cords are helpful if you are diving to the formation and need assistance in stopping. They do not make sense for general fall rate control.

I suggest you work body position and fall rate control in a tunnel well before you make modifications on a suit.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

Like jverley said, work on fall rate control in the tunnel. Also 5'11' 185 is not that big. I jump with guys that height and over 200 lbs who have no problem. Going low can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you think you're going to go low, you probably will. The trick is to keep jumping and not let it mess with your head. Do 2- and 3-ways with people your size to guarantee success then move up to larger formations as you gain confidence.

Once you get low, it is difficult to keep sight of the formation while assuming the slowest fall rate position. So, don't get low to begin with and you will probably have less trouble.

Your height/weight shouldn't make you fall extremely fast, especially if you don't have a tight jumpsuit of slick material. If you are jumping with a bunch of slow fallers, you could see if someone has some slip-on sleeves that you could try -- they will slow you down considerably.

If you really only have 30 jumps, you would be a LOT better served by sticking to 2-3 ways. You will advance much faster.

Thanks! yeah we started out as a 4 way with 3 of my buddys and were all under 100 jumps and more people jsut kept joining up while we were dirt diving so we said what the heck. good advise though ill definatly work on my body position. what should i change do you think?

I'm also a newer jumper who tends to fall faster than my fellow new jumpers. One thing I was told is when you get low turn your head sideways to look up to the formation rather than craning your neck. If you crane your neck that's going to make you arch more and that means fall faster, but turning it to the side shouldn't.

I'm assuming you've done some coaching jumps to work on slow and fast fall? If not, do it so you can at least learn the different body position for slow fall.

I second the advice above about smaller formations. If you do some linked 2-way exits you'll likely be better able to stay with that one person because you're already in a bit of a slow fall body position and then you can let go and work on maintaining the level. Not as fun and some people really don't accept "no, we're just doing a 2-way" for an answer, but in the end it'll help you develop a wider range of fall speeds.

Having a lot of low time jumpers makes it very difficult to match a fall rate. Find an experienced RW jumper - 1000 jumps would be great - buy them a jump and a beer and ask that they lay base for you. Go fly with them. They will be able to set a consistent base on which you can practice falling and docking. Video would be very helpful as well.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

yeah we started out as a 4 way with 3 of my buddys and were all under 100 jumps and more people just kept joining up while we were dirt diving so we said what the heck.

Aha! Well, that explains it.

This is typical when a bunch of people with low jump numbers start making larger formations. (Well, actually I have seen a lot of very experienced people do this too, and swear they don't.)

When it is only a 3 or 4 way, people notice when someone is missing from the formation and start looking around and maybe make the formation fall faster to help their buddy.

But once is gets much bigger than that, people just dock on the formation, stop paying attention to their fall rate, start getting stiff trying to hold on, create a lot of tension which increases the drag, and make the formation fall _really_ slow.

If the faster fallers don't get there quick enough, they are going to go low. And those that go low are always blamed, seldom do the people making the formation go so slow get blamed.

Your choices are probably obvious enough.

You can be the base, you can stick to smaller formations, you can get a big enough jumpsuit to compensate, or you can jump with people who know not to do this.

I use number 1 and 3 because I am not that fond of 2 and I usually can't find enough 4.

I am the exact opposite..about 6'2" 170 and I float like a feather. I have to do a super arch and I wear a super slick/tight jumpsuit. I've been told to wear a weight belt to make it easier on me, but I'd rather not wear one

Not wearing one will potentially limit the types of dives you can be successful in.

Jumpsuits, weight belts, altimeters, helmets and Canopies etc, are all tools we use to make numerous and successful skydives.

Try adding the weight belt to your tool box, you may find it very helpful.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I've been told to wear a weight belt ... but I'd rather not wear one

Tough. If you've got a good arch and a well-fitting suit, then you're simply too light for the amount of surface area you have.

Wearing weights is not a sign of failure. Weights exist so that when you're in the middle of your fall-rate range, you're falling at the same speed as everyone else. Being in the middle of your range means that you have the most ability to speed up or slow down to deal with your team-mates fuckups.

So, either: a) eat more burgers, or b) wear weights, and enjoy a new ability to kick arse in your skydives :-)

I am the exact opposite..about 6'2" 170 and I float like a feather. I have to do a super arch and I wear a super slick/tight jumpsuit. I've been told to wear a weight belt to make it easier on me, but I'd rather not wear one

You'll not feel comfortable super-arching to stay with others doing serious RW. You'll find you have limited control.

I wear 12 - 13 pounds of lead in addition to a slick tight jumpsuit, and skydive better for it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

but I'd rather not wear one

I don't really get this attitude at all

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I have once heard from one of the top 10 RW'ers in the world... buy a pilates ball and stretch your back every day... it's the cheapest free fall range tool you can buy.
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

I have once heard from one of the top 10 RW'ers in the world... buy a pilates ball and stretch your back every day... it's the cheapest free fall range tool you can buy.

Yeah, that's great. And then there are people who are over age 30.

Hi,

jumping with people who are light and with low jump numbers they will probably be so happy to just dock that they will tend to dearch, relax and when a 5-way relax they will fall way too slow for anyone to come back up.
solution (for the others): fly to the formation, stop, take grip, fly the formation

with low jump numbers yourself my bet is you looked up at the formation as soon as you went low and then you have no chance of going back up.
solution: slide to the side of the formation, look with the corner of your eyes on the side so you dont lose too much lift.

doing 6-way at your level of experience is fun once in a while but you definitely won't learn much for the simple reason that i doubt you will form the 6-way all the time and nothing is more boring than jumping formation where 1 or 2 people never make it and fly all over/under. you just end up hanging there for 8000 feet and break off.

do 3-ways with free exits - no grips - and try to get together. once you nail those add one more person and so on.

Im like 185 and 5' 11'' and i fall like a freakin rock. I was on a 6 way the other day and pulled dowbn half the group and ended up just chillin around 200 ft off to the side below them. I was wearing the largets suit possible it was like a wing suit and i still fell liek a rock. Any suggestions? Ive been told to get swoop chords in my jumpsuit when i get it? correct or not?

I'm 6'2" 244 279 with gear. I jump with little people all the time. Matter of fact that's pretty much all I jump with since there are not a lot of fat fuckers like me :) you have less time in the air then my 4 year old has in the tunnel so don't expect to have it all figured out. As to adding swoop cords learning to fly your body before adding additional "aids" will benefit you more in the long wrong. Get to a tunnel and buy a fact fucker a jump ticket and go do some two way drills...:D

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

yeah we started out as a 4 way with 3 of my buddys and were all under 100 jumps and more people jsut kept joining up while we were dirt diving so we said what the heck.

That is asking for a failure. You should stick to small groups and when people want to join, politely say no but that you will jump with them later since you want to work on small formation skills.

Seriously, stick to three or four ways. Your learning curve will thank you.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

While this can work.... Being bent in half limits your ability. the goal is to be in a middle of your range body position in the middle of the fall rate range. This provides the most control available.

So if you can stretch your way to the middle... Great, but I think most people will find that they will be bent in half and still be closer to their max speed.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I've been told to wear a weight belt to make it easier on me, but I'd rather not wear one

Why?

I wasted about 100 jumps before I started wearing a vest.... Notice I said "wasted"?

I'm also a member of the corn fed fat bastard fall like a brick club! I'm 6'2" 220 with exit weight at 255.
When i was Going through my AFF my instructor was strapping on 35-40lbs of weight and flying in a ball to keep up with me. Most any student suit i ever jumped i ran a consistent fall rate of 145-155mph+ (even managed a 179mph on my belly once). I happen across a hell of a deal on a custom liquid sky suit second hand that is more of a free fly style (baggy arms and legs). The suit alone got me to the 130mph range without working for it. By chance I got some tunnel time and worked on my body control. I was told by the coach that fat boy like me should be able to arch to the point that i'm damn near folded in half. He took me to a Mantis and has me flying a totally flat position. Also by flying the Mantis i can slow my rate by simply rolling my shoulders foward. So now i'm at the point i can lay base on the 6 way speed star and not wait for everyone to go head down and finally catch me at 8 grand while i'm maxing out what i can do to slow down. Now i'm at a comfortable spot that i dont have to think so much about my position and what i am doing to control my speed.. i can cork out on the skinnies or i can speed it up and dock on a skinnys toes that is in a sit fly...

you have less time in the air then my 4 year old has in the tunnel so don't expect to have it all figured out.

Great, great line. Not a put-down at all, just a statement of fact.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)