sdctlc

Airspeed New Line Up?

Saw this this morning on FaceBook for Airspeed:

"Arizona Airspeed Arizona Airspeed's 2011 lineup is JOSH HALL, formerly of Perris Fury, NICK HEMLIN, formerly of team Fastrax, THOMAS HUGHES, formerly of Spaceland Force, and returning Airspeed member, MARK KIRKBY."

That is a pretty big shake up with only Mark staying. Are they going to be running 2 teams this year. Where will Craig, Eliana and Andy end up?

Congrats to that line up for an amazingly successful run and good luck to the new line up for more of the same...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

we've had both Nick and Thomas coach at meets - REALLY learned a ton from those guys and what great teaching styles - so perfect for the AS philosophy

imho

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

http://www.skyleague.com/pages/news/showArticles.php?story=1999

Doesn't say anything about Andy's plans for the future, but it does confirm the news that's been floating around that Craig & Eliana are off to Dubai.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Strong lineup. They will continue the winning ways of AS. I think there will be a gold hung on them at the 2011 Nats and they will represent the US at Worlds so well that they bring back the Sword.

I will miss getting to jump most weekends with Nik! But man I am happy for him, and jealous!

I guess the cell phone pic's will have tan lines now.:$

Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I've been able to play with Nik for the last few years (and hopefully will still be able to occasionally ;))... He is a great instructor, outstanding flyer, and an all around good guy...

I haven't actually gotten much actual coaching from him... but I do have a number of pictures of him...:)
I don't know Thomas well but he I know he's a great flyer and coach as well... so I agree it sounds like a good lineup...

:)

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Surprised this thread isn't getting more comments. I just know somebody's achin' to say something :ph34r:.

`

What is there to say? Airspeed has been making personnel changes for years. People move on and others move up.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Surprised this thread isn't getting more comments. I just know somebody's achin' to say something

Im a little late on replying, but I will say this.

I wish Josh had stayed with Fury. I really think Fury could be the next long time US and World champions. Of course they now have Todd and he will do very well with them. Just wish They would have stuck together longer. They (Fury) are all awesome people.
Dom

We used to joke about the "Airspeed shakedown" effect every year. The theory goes to explain why it is impossible to build a team right after the Nationals.

The top teams have to make their selection(s) before the B level guys will form a team. And the C level guys will not do anything till the B level folks team up. Once the A slots get filled, the B guys all scurry to build a team, once the B teams get filled the C guys scurry to find a team etc till someone has to drag a recent AFF grad into 4way somewhere around Z

Once the top teams decide what they are going to do, then it trickles down to every team.

So Airpseed is to blame for the NSL rookie classes not building teams till sometime around April;)

Not that it really applies in this case.... Fury and Todd are not exactly "B" anything..... Its just a funny theory we used to joke about and I saw an opening.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

We used to joke about the "Airspeed shakedown" effect every year. The theory goes to explain why it is impossible to build a team right after the Nationals.

The top teams have to make their selection(s) before the B level guys will form a team. And the C level guys will not do anything till the B level folks team up. Once the A slots get filled, the B guys all scurry to build a team, once the B teams get filled the C guys scurry to find a team etc till someone has to drag a recent AFF grad into 4way somewhere around Z

Once the top teams decide what they are going to do, then it trickles down to every team.

So Airpseed is to blame for the NSL rookie classes not building teams till sometime around AprilWink

Not that it really applies in this case.... Fury and Todd are not exactly "B" anything..... Its just a funny theory we used to joke about and I saw an opening.

lol. Sounds about right.

Airspeed deserves every bit of praise they get. I would like to see a team (like Fury) stick with it though. I am sure Josh has his reasons for making the switch. Personally, I would want to stick with what I started though. Try to create my own legacy. Fury has the potential to do that. Or I should say "had" the potential till Josh made his move.

Fury will continue and be successful with Todd though. No doubt about that.
Dom

Try to create my own legacy. Fury has the potential to do that. Or I should say "had" the potential till Josh made his move.

Fury still has a great shot, IMO. Todd speaks a little wierd, but has great skills. I was his piece partner in 07 and he is no slouch. Airspeed has had so many people through the team that they have done all airspeed 16way.

Fury also has created a legacy, again IMO. One if the reasons I like the GK and Aispeed so much is they stick around after player changes and still kick ass. Fury can now do that.

I have always thought that a great team is one that can change people and still do well. It used to be very rare now thankfully it seems to happen more and more.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I've been giving this some thought and I think that the shakeup with the Airspeed lineup this year reminds me of of the Miami Heat in the NBA.

You've got a very talented athlete leaving the team that he came up with, Lebron James being Josh Hall.

Then you have the player that has already won a championship with his team recruiting new members, Mark Kirkby being Dwayne Wade.

Not to mention Thomas Hughes who would be Chris Bosh, player with tons of talent joining the team as well. Not sure which player Nick Hemlin would be but I think the comparison works for the most part.

Bottom line is, you have this huge collection of talent on one team (Airspeed = Miami Heat) It will be interesting to see how it all melds together...