Jonsmann

Which canopy do you use for bigways?

For those of you doing bigways (100+) what canopy do you use?
I specifically don't ask which canopy you think should be used, but which one you DO use?

Edited to ask second question; And is that canopy different from the canopy you use on non-bigway jumps?

Jacques

I've heard this topic come up here and there. Does anyone have anything to say about why there would be a difference in canopy choice due to the size of the jump?
Only thing that makes sense to me is not wanting to fly a fast canopy in all that traffic. Anything else out there?
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

I've heard this topic come up here and there. Does anyone have anything to say about why there would be a difference in canopy choice due to the size of the jump?
Only thing that makes sense to me is not wanting to fly a fast canopy in all that traffic. Anything else out there?

You want a reliable canopy that opens in a reasonable amount of altitude, and on heading...

A Crossfire is a great canopy, but it snivels for a long time.. which means opening low might be a little nerve-wrecking when you open at 2200ft.

I have a Spectre for bigways.. (for multiple reasons.. cameras + reliable openings + not very fast flying..)

For normal jumping , velo 103
for 40way + I got a crossfire1 139 on risers for $350 .
Flys like a pig but opens fast & on heading .
With the velo I can sit on breaks and hang up there with the big canopies , but a big slow canopy makes it much easier .
Also makes landing off in small tight landing areas with 25lbs of lead much easier

the one i am most comfortable and safest flying.

really.

for me, that was my jedei 105, until i grounded it finally. it's like paper now, with about 2500 jumps on it. I am very sad. I knew that canopy like the back of my hand...it could read my mind. *sigh*

anyway, the most important things, i think, are wingloading and experience. I was loading that at about 1.5, which is exactly in the range of the "recommended by kate for bigways" loadings. yes, it was a high performance elliptical, but it was one i knew.

now i'm back on a stiletto 120 (or i will be when healed from knee surgery). it's my "old" canopy, and will have to hold me over until i can afford a new samurai. I may keep the stiletto for bigways, though, at least until i am as comfortable on a new sam as i was on my jedei. *cry*
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

There may be some canopies you dont want to deploy at 2200ft

In reality, alot of deployments start below 2200feet -- just watch all the bigway outers.

For me this year, I've flown various sizes from a Pilot 140, Pilot 150, Sabre 150 and Sabre 170. I'm just waiting for my invite to the 500-way World Record (if I get it), before I buy one of those 'World Team' canopies...

Depends on the jump. Medium size (up to about 120) Nitro 108. Big (i.e. 300+) I get a bigger canopy (Pilot 129ish.) It also depends on my location in the dive. Outer wave of trackers = smaller canopy. Nearer the base = larger canopy.

>And is that canopy different from the canopy you use on non-bigway jumps?

Normally I do camera nowadays so I use a Crossfire 109.

Velocity 79 loaded at 2.3, though I usually replace my removable slider with the pull string collapsible as it takes a bit less time.

With the removable slider it's a quick remove, but then unzip jumpsuit and stuff it, pull rings below toggles, then unstow and fly.

With collapsible, it's just pull strings and pull below toggles.

For stuff like 30-40 ways etc, I just keep the removable slider on but I never use the full RDS with the d-bag etc.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

I use my SabreII 170.

I have one piece of advice. People groan every time they
hear me repeat it.

Traffic problems can be avoided if they are seen.

People should be looking for other jumpers with problems immediately after opening and then fly
away from the center for 10 seconds until they are
in clear airspace.

Other jumpers may have off heading openings, line twists, or some problem that puts them on a collision course with you.

My solution? Immediately after opening, I grab my rear risers (not toggles) and start looking for problem situations. If once exists, I steer out of the way with my risers.

If someone has line twists and their neck is pinned down,
there is nothing that they can do. It is up to you to
react and avoid them.

If no problem exists, I fly away from the center until
it is clear and I can do all the other stuff (slider, booties, etc).

Once in a clear airspace, I stay away from everyone
else and land a safe distance away. I don't mind walking.