Rebecca-Berlin

Fall Rate

That works out to be 119mph, seams like a totally reasonable speed, however it's more important that you are all falling together at the same speed.

In this you should also consider what you are using to measure that speed and where it is placed, the differences can be great between a Protrack in a helmet, or a Neptune on a wrist etc.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

I used a protrack in my Z1 and it was pretty consistent on 114mph, a team mate with a protrack in an Oxygen used to get 117mph. Your speed sounds good but having a speed that is comfortable for all of you is best.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

If any teammate is uncomfortable and needs to go faster to fall with you, then it's too slow.

I'm not a big fan of under 120 either.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In all honesty, I wouldn't look at x mph as your goal.

What your team should be doing is flying at a speed where the fastest faller will be comfortable in a normal jumpsuit (ie, no wings or excess fluff). Whatever that speed is (119, 200, 210 mph) is pretty much irrelevant.
Remster

What your team should be doing is flying at a speed where the fastest faller will be comfortable in a normal jumpsuit (ie, no wings or excess fluff). Whatever that speed is (119, 200, 210 mph) is pretty much irrelevant.

perfect - your fastest faller should be able to fly right in the center of his range while in a strong and relaxed mantis- in a form fittiing suit that doesn't have any flapping or excess material - don't tie him up by making him dearch and get sloppy - or by having to wear a 'slow' fall suit that flaps or (really worse) has 'gimmicks' to slow him down. Let him fly - the rest can add lead for the same effect

as for the pros - I think over the last few, they've experimented with real fast, real slow, etc - energy and weight is a mobility tradeoff....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

perfect - your fastest faller should be able to fly right in the center of his range while in a strong and relaxed mantis- in a form fittiing suit that doesn't have any flapping or excess material - don't tie him up by making him dearch and get sloppy - or by having to wear a 'slow' fall suit that flaps or (really worse) has 'gimmicks' to slow him down. Let him fly - the rest can add lead for the same effect

as for the pros - I think over the last few, they've experimented with real fast, real slow, etc - energy and weight is a mobility tradeoff....

I agree, the speed should be determined by range. if you all need to wear suction cups to get to that speed, don't do it. That being said, use the faster faller as your mark, not the middle faller as I have seen some teams do.
Downsizing is not the way to prove your manhood.

if you all need to wear suction cups to get to that speed

I don't know what that means, but now I'm intrigued

If I understood, he just repeated what you'd just said but in slightly more confusing words
:)

Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

If I understood, he just repeated what you'd just said but in slightly more confusing words
:)

and I just repeated Remster's words - it's easier for me not to have any original advice - it keeps me out of trouble

Aren't they for breast "enhancement"? Not sure what it has to do wth 4-way.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Aren't they for breast "enhancement"? Not sure what it has to do wth 4-way.

you get invited on more jumps by the creepy, chain smoking, middle aged, tandem instructor

:) really, really tight jump suits, ones taht leave nothing to the imagination.

there is an advantage to falling faster as the more air you can deflect, the faster your moves will be. If, however, you need to compromise flexibility or flying position to get that speed then its not worth the trade off.

P>s I like the other type of suction cups mentioned above as well. :)
Downsizing is not the way to prove your manhood.

:) really, really tight jump suits, ones taht leave nothing to the imagination.

there is an advantage to falling faster as the more air you can deflect, the faster your moves will be. If, however, you need to compromise flexibility or flying position to get that speed then its not worth the trade off.

While this may well be true for top teams, I doubt many intermediate or advanced teams are score-limited by how fast their moves are. More likely by how skilled and precise they are.

Slightly changing the topic: on big-ways I think the balance has gone too far towards high fall rate. Fast moves are not relevant, and most of the issues we see are due to people being floaty on account of the sometimes ballistic fall rates. Last year I was on a 90-way where the fall rate was 133mph. A LOT of people were unable to dock on it.

P>s I like the other type of suction cups mentioned above as well. :)

Always pleased to be of service:)

JFTC Fall rate was 122 mph (top, bottom and average) as measured from the base with a helmet mounted Pro Track. This was our goal fall rate and it resulted in a fast falling but smoothly building formation.

Did you have any problems with jumpers going low?

Did you have any problems with jumpers being floaty?

1) people didn't go low, but they sure did manage to put themselves low a few times. Either by overswooping or not getting high enough in the stadium (for floaters from all planes or most from the A-B/H-J planes)

2) floaty people were floaty (Usually a result of fear factor), until they fixed it. Jumpers who paid attention locked in the fall rate early and had little/no problems. ]

There were women wearing sweaters/sleeves and women wearing weight belts. Many women were simply comfortable with their suits and body positions from the base 6 to the outer rows, so I'd say it was a "baby bear" fall rate... just right!

k

A good fall rate is judged more by all of your teams body positions than by some number on a display.

Your biggest person should be in a good position, if that means they need to wear a lose jumpsuit then fine.

Your lightest should be in a good body position, if that means they need lead... Fine.

If everyone is wearing lead.... Well then that's just silly. If everyone is wearing sleeves... Again silly.

It is more about relativity than raw speed.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334