Mattbs4e

Colbalt Canopies?

so basically you do not dissagree that the flight characteristics of a lightly loaded cobalt are well suited for a beginner. just that the openings on the 170 need to be addressed: which you know they are.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

I'm all for training students on "semi-elipiticals."

this was in my original statement.

Dan:

if that Cobalt falls into the category of "semi-elipitical" then i guess so. i know the opening issue is being addressed, and i'm very satisfied with Atair's response to this issue. but to rephrase my statement, let me say this: I personally would not put ANY student under a "fully elipitical" canopy, no matter what logo it has on it. they come in too hot, glide way too flat, and they could not land them in an "off dz" situation, and of course my biggest fear with student jumpers, in the event of a fast spinning mal, the AAD would not fire (more than likely the jumper would be falling less than 80 mph) and it is my belief that "sensory overload" may cause an unscheduled event. again, this is my opinion from my experience, nothing more. i know that i am glad i did not train on a high performance canopy.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

so basically you do not dissagree that the flight characteristics of a lightly loaded cobalt are well suited for a beginner. just that the openings on the 170 need to be addressed: which you know they are.

sincerely,

dan

A cobalt is sensitive to harness imput even at 1:1 which is what I jumped one at. 90% of beginners have issues with leaning in the harness and trying to reach down with a hand or a leg. The sensitivity of the canopy does not make it good for beginners who are still learning body awareness on opening and on landing. Even the 120 I jumped, spun up on me after the 1st stage, I never had this problem with stilettos or crossfires. You told me that I need to be loading it higher at 1.2:1 which would put me on a 105 would fix all those problems. [:/] From what I have experienced jumping other ellipticals the canopy gets even more sensitive the higher in wingloading you go.

I even know of one girl who took your advice (she said she actually talked to you) and jumped a cobalt at 1.3:1 and her 3rd landing dislocated her elbow due to reaching as she flared and her canopy turned her into the ground.

The cobalt is a fun elliptical even at light loadings, the things that make it a fun elliptical does not make a good beginner canopy.

As sad as it would be, I'm sure we'll see, at some point in the probably not too distant future, some jumper or a deceased jumper's family file a lawsuit against Atair and maybe against Dan Preston for his advice on beginners jumping elliptical canopies.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

He *did* say that in this thread, but in many previous posts Dan has stated that his Cobalt canopies, at a lower wingloading were great for students and novice jumpers.

(edit: forgot part of my post before posting, d'oh)

"hook, the cobalt and alpha/space have an excellent track record with begineers. if i accidentally interchanged 'student' with 'begineer' my appologies. again the recomendation is that anyone safe on a sabre,safire or hornet will be equally safe if not more so under a cobalt. we stand behind this recommendation as do many sta's and instructors.
also i have several book recomendations for you on basic aerodynamics which i think you will appreciate. unfortunately i am snowed out of the office today. i will try to post them for you tomorrow. "

I asked you, plain as day:

"Your student canopy, do you mean the Cobalt? "

You responded:

"yes i mean the cobalt and previously the space/alpha. "

" accidentally interchanged 'student' with 'begineer'"

Hmmmm.

From a previous post:

"so yes our student canopy is considerably more elliptical than many canopies you will see in swoop competitions."

I asked you:

"Do you recommend putting students under Cobalts at a 1.2 wing loading?"

You responded:

"yes, anyone you would consider safe under a sabre, safire or hornet is equally safe on a cobalt."

You have used "student" instead of "beginner" several times…………….

I then asked you, after you said the Cobalt makes a good student canopy:

"Has this been done before? "

You answered:

"yes "

I AGAIN ask you:

"What DZ uses Cobalt 170's (and possibly smaller? Cobalts) as student canopies? "

I asked you:

"Does Atair have a chart showing performance vs. wing loading for the Cobalt?, not a recommended wing loading chart, most manufactures have those, PD has it right on the label. "

You answered:

"check out our web site faq page. "

I responded:

"I did, you have a "recommended wing loading" chart, same as every other manufacturer. I asked if you have "a chart showing performance vs. wing loading for the Cobalt"

So where is Atair's chart showing performance vs. wing loading for the Cobalt?, after all "with dataloggers 1 jump per wingloading (although more is better) is all that is needed to gather the data required for a super performance chart. the pilot must fly a general routine"

I asked you:

"Why do you say a square canopy (Sabre) will have more forward speed at the same wing loading as the Cobalt, but the Cobalt has less drag and is more efficient? Isn't this contradictory? "

You responded:

"no it isn't. "

I still do not understand this, and you still have not explained it to me.

"i'm tired of explaining that 'planform does not dictate performance skill level, the sum total of many design variables dictate if a design is a pro swoop canopy or a student canopy'."

So what is the Cobalt?, a "pro swoop canopy or a student canopy".

I am an Instructor. I have been since 1995. I would not put a student or beginner under a Cobalt, a "High Performance Canopy". No more than I would use a Stiletto for a student or a beginner. Dan- are you an Instructor? Have you used Cobalt 170's as student canopies, or for beginners?

"and btw we have always used pia standards of measure."

Like your definition of a cell?

http://www.pia.com/piapubs/TS%20Documents/ts-100.pdf

Hook

On your website you bill the comp cobalt as "pro pilots only" then later as "for experienced pilots only" and an alternative for the vx and the velocity. Now you are saying the comp is for beginners. Was that the idea when it was designed and tested or is just out of convenience now that it is an all around canopy. When my girlfriend tried a lightly loaded cobalt 170 and found numerous undesirable traits you said the problem was she wasnt loading it enough. Now you are saying lightly loading is ok for students? And when they dont like it should they be quick to downsize also? And do you mean to say that you designed 2 totally new canopies just because you were "tired" of explaining your product?

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

hook,

i am defining a beginner as an a licence jumper. and student as a non-license jumper.

last time:

we recommend cobalts as a superior alternative to sabres,safires and hornets. if you are safe to fly any of those canopies you will be equally safe on a cobalt, if not safer as in the event of a high speed deployment.

planform i.e. how elliptical a canopy planform is, is not the prime indication as to the skill level required to pilot that canopy. planform does not dictate whether a canopy is a begineers canopy or a pocket rocket. it is the sum total of many design variables that make that determination. knowing only that a canopy is elliptical tells you only that it is more efficient than a similar square, nothing more without knowing the other design variables.

most canopies are labled as elliptical, semi, or tapered simply as a marketing tool clasification, not as a true indication of their actual planform shape. there are pro level swoop canopies that are 'less elliptical' than begineer's canopies, and begineer canopies 'more elliptical' than pro level swoop canopies .

i am tired of trying to explain this point. if you do not understand so be it, but i do not wish to continue bickering with you.

you ask so which is it? is the cobalt a swoop canopy or a beginers canopy. it is both. this is in no way contradictory. what makes the cobalt a good swoop canopy at high wing loading is exactly what makes it a good beginners canopy at low wing loadings. the cobalt is not a particularly fast canopy, but it is an extremely efficient canopy. it has a better glide and continues to generate lift a slower speeds, additionally the top skin is tensioned to reduce distortion. a cobalt can outglide other design canopies 2 sized larger at eaqual loadings. these design aspects allow it to be highly loaded and competitive with higher speed design canopies. we basically made up for speed with efficiency. we later took the design a step further with the comp cobalt by reducing nose drag to allow for higher speed. the result was a 9 cell canopy that ranked 2nd out of 160 tricells.

the alpha and space were identical canopies: same airfoil and planform to the cobalt. for 6 years the alpha was highly competitive on the swoop circuit and the space was a popular begineers canopy with a flawless track record. this has been pointed out many times and no one has ever pointed fault with either statement. they just choose to ignore the fact that they are the same canopy. now transpose the newer model the cobalt, (basically the same canopy with construction improvements and minor changes that increase efficiency), and dont play the name game and there are people like you who find fault based on predjudices rather than fact.

do you prefer manufacturers basically lie, shaping statements to what the consumer wants to hear. or tell the truth and try to educate if the consumer has misconceptions? since you have entered the sport canopy technology has been significantly advanced, probably more than you realize. the idea that 'elliptical' = negative traits only suitable for experienced pilots is based characteristics of out of date canopies and is simply a misconception today.

i will still post the aerodynamics introduction references. please read them and do not take it as some personal slam from me. its not, i think you will learn alot and enjoy them.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

I personally would not put ANY student under a "fully elipitical" canopy, no matter what logo it has on it. come in too hot, glide way too flat, and they could not land them in an "off dz" situation,

That's generally incorrect, at least within the PD line.

According to John LeBlanc of PD, "Wing loading is the biggest determinant of speed. A Stiletto 190 is not really faster than a Sabre 190, or even a PD 190! Other aspects of performance will be different, however. (Turn rate, glide angle, etc.) These differences may influence a person’s
impression of speed." [ http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/wingload.pdf ]

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

cobalt can outglide other design canopies 2 sized larger at eaqual loadings

That could be argued both ways, good or bad, for a low time jumper who doesn't have proper flair techniques even half-way understood yet, and still prone to make serious flairing mistakes.

i am defining a beginner as an a licence jumper. and student as a non-license jumper.

last time:

we recommend cobalts as a superior alternative to sabres,safires and hornets. if you are safe to fly any of those canopies you will be equally safe on a cobalt, if not safer as in the event of a high speed deployment.

planform i.e. how elliptical a canopy planform is, is not the prime indication as to the skill level required to pilot that canopy. planform does not dictate whether a canopy is a begineers canopy or a pocket rocket. it is the sum total of many design variables that make that determination. knowing only that a canopy is elliptical tells you only that it is more efficient than a similar square, nothing more without knowing the other design variables.

most canopies are labled as elliptical, semi, or tapered simply as a marketing tool clasification, not as a true indication of their actual planform shape. there are pro level swoop canopies that are 'less elliptical' than begineer's canopies, and begineer canopies 'more elliptical' than pro level swoop canopies .

i am tired of trying to explain this point. if you do not understand so be it, but i do not wish to continue bickering with you.

you ask so which is it? is the cobalt a swoop canopy or a beginers canopy. it is both. this is in no way contradictory. what makes the cobalt a good swoop canopy at high wing loading is exactly what makes it a good beginners canopy at low wing loadings. the cobalt is not a particularly fast canopy, but it is an extremely efficient canopy. it has a better glide and continues to generate lift a slower speeds, additionally the top skin is tensioned to reduce distortion. a cobalt can outglide other design canopies 2 sized larger at eaqual loadings. these design aspects allow it to be highly loaded and competitive with higher speed design canopies. we basically made up for speed with efficiency. we later took the design a step further with the comp cobalt by reducing nose drag to allow for higher speed. the result was a 9 cell canopy that ranked 2nd out of 160 tricells.

the alpha and space were identical canopies: same airfoil and planform to the cobalt. for 6 years the alpha was highly competitive on the swoop circuit and the space was a popular begineers canopy with a flawless track record. this has been pointed out many times and no one has ever pointed fault with either statement. they just choose to ignore the fact that they are the same canopy. now transpose the newer model the cobalt, (basically the same canopy with construction improvements and minor changes that increase efficiency), and dont play the name game and there are people like you who find fault based on predjudices rather than fact.

do you prefer manufacturers basically lie, shaping statements to what the consumer wants to hear. or tell the truth and try to educate if the consumer has misconceptions? since you have entered the sport canopy technology has been significantly advanced, probably more than you realize. the idea that 'elliptical' = negative traits only suitable for experienced pilots is based characteristics of out of date canopies and is simply a misconception today.

i will still post the aerodynamics introduction references. please read them and do not take it as some personal slam from me. its not, i think you will learn alot and enjoy them.

sincerely,

dan<><>

So I guess you are not going to answer my questions?

BTW- I have and read "Theory of Wing Sections" by Ira H. Abbott and Albert E. Von Doenhoff.

This is not the last time for me. As long as you continue to make these absurd claims, I will contest them. I ask you pointed questions and you dodge them. You state several times that the Cobalt makes a good STUDENT canopy, then when I call you on it, several times, you finally admit that it was a mistake to say that. You harsh on other manufacturers for their marketing tactics and yet you are at least more guilty than they are. Your claim that the Cobalt is an excellent student, oops, I mean beginner canopy loaded at 1.2 is ridiculous. I jumped a Space 2000 at a loading of 1.44:1. It was definitely not suitable for beginners. You may take this as a compliment, the Cobalt out-performs the Safire2/Hornet/Sabre2, even at light wing loading, and therefore is too high performance for beginners. What qualifications give you the ability to make such a recommendation? Oops, another question you won't answer.

See ya around,

Hook

So I guess you are not going to answer my questions?

that's because he can't and won't. there have been a few people asking intelligent questions, about previous postings and claims that ATAIR is making. but there is no direct response. Who is designing those canopies anyway?

I agree with hook, its crap to say that these canopies are appropriate for students. Any canopy that really dives during turns or that requires smooth control inputs should not be used for students. I would also extend that to novices.

Crossfires are the "best" canopy that I have jumped, by the same logic should I recommend a really ground hungry canopy to a novice?
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

that's because he can't and won't. there have been a few people asking intelligent questions, about previous postings and claims that ATAIR is making.

No kidding. I'm still waiting on the results from the "NASA Windtunnel Test". I don't think I'll be seeing those numbers anytime soon.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

"already answered. "

No you didn't.

I asked:

"What DZ uses Cobalt 170's (and possibly smaller? Cobalts) as student canopies? "

I asked you:

"Does Atair have a chart showing performance vs. wing loading for the Cobalt?, not a recommended wing loading chart, most manufactures have those, PD has it right on the label. "

You answered:

"check out our web site faq page. "

I responded:

"I did, you have a "recommended wing loading" chart, same as every other manufacturer. I asked if you have "a chart showing performance vs. wing loading for the Cobalt"

So where is Atair's chart showing performance vs. wing loading for the Cobalt?, after all "with dataloggers 1 jump per wingloading (although more is better) is all that is needed to gather the data required for a super performance chart. the pilot must fly a general routine"

I asked you:

"Why do you say a square canopy (Sabre) will have more forward speed at the same wing loading as the Cobalt, but the Cobalt has less drag and is more efficient? Isn't this contradictory? "

You responded:

"no it isn't. "

I still do not understand this, and you still have not explained it to me. I understand that planform is only one variable. But a tapered canopy is more efficient than a square canopy. If the Sabre has more airspeed than a Cobalt, at the same wing loading, then the Sabre must have a steeper line trim, more efficient airfoil or some other characteristic that makes it faster.

I asked:

"Are you an Instructor?"

I asked:

"Have you used Cobalt 170's as student canopies, or for beginners?"

You said:

"and btw we have always used pia standards of measure."

I asked:

"Like your definition of a cell?"

http://www.pia.com/piapubs/TS%20Documents/ts-100.pdf

So, no, you have not already answered.

If you are going to make these claims, I am going to call you on them. I already got you to admit the Cobalt does not make a good student canopy, after you "accidentally" interchanged "STUDENT" with "BEGINNER" FOUR times.

So we have a few more questions before we get to "answered".

Hook

I sure didnt see these questions answered. why? also hey guys lets be civil it loooks like afew of you really have a personal issue with dan, do you have stock in pd or something? may be it would be easier for dan to answer if you wernt so aggressive?!
dan come on man stand up and be straight forward with your answers the questions are very specific and pleeeease dont repost the same shi!@# that you have reposted again and again, or admit a mistake for false claims. just put an end to this

The reason why Hook's post seems short, its because these same questions have been asked of Dan Preston numerous times, each time Dan basically skirts around them.

The recommendations Dan Preston has made and continues to make, putting students/beginners out on his elliptical platform is very dangerous, and we're looking for factual answers backed with real data to his claims.

I'm worried that someone will get very badly broken or killed on the recommendations that Dan makes.

I sure didnt see these questions answered. why? also hey guys lets be civil it loooks like afew of you really have a personal issue with dan, do you have stock in pd or something? may be it would be easier for dan to answer if you wernt so aggressive?!
dan come on man stand up and be straight forward with your answers the questions are very specific and pleeeease dont repost the same shi!@# that you have reposted again and again, or admit a mistake for false claims. just put an end to this

I have not attacked cobaltdan personally. I have challenged statements he has made and he repeatedly dodges the questions with Atair rhetoric. No I do not have stock in PD, nor do I have anything against Atair. I used to own an Alpha 94 and I thought it was a good canopy. I do have issues with his claims, claims that he does not/can not back up. When called on them, he dodges the questions, answering without answering. He claimed to have video of a pilot chute producing 20+ "g's" with the canopy still in the bag. When I looked at the video, it clearly showed the canopy out of the bag before the "G" spike. After asking him several times, he finally said, "you can't see the spike on the downloadable video". He contradicts himself constantly. If it appears that I am being harsh w/ cobaltdan, it is because any other way and he simply won't answer to his claims. Read his posts and his replies to questions.

If any of us that are asking Dan to answer questions regarding his claims appear to have it in personally for cobaltdan, the moderators would have said something. We are simply showing that his claims are not correct. For example, he said Atair recommends using Cobalt 170's (the largest Cobalt canopy currently being built) for student use. He either used the word student or answered in the affirmative that the Cobalt was an acceptable student canopy four times. He finally said he had mistakenly used the word student instead of beginner, four times. So what if a jumper with 15 jumps or so read that the Cobalt is a good student/beginner canopy loaded at 1.2:1 and buys one at that wing loading, after jumping large student-type canopies?

As for being aggressive, I have had to ask many times without getting solid answers to my questions, it gets frustrating after a while. Even you recognize that he is not being straight forward, and requesting him to [qoute] pleeeease dont repost the same shi!@# that you have reposted again and again, or admit a mistake for false claims.

I don't have stock in PD, I take stock in the truth.

Hook

i fly a cobalt 170, loaded at 1.3 and have had nice, neat openings. i have had two lousy openings due to messed up body position and getting the correct packing issues worked out (i asked around and found a packer who had some ideas on how to pack my rig). no line twists, no kicking out of anything, no hassles in the air. had an end cell closed once or twice- fixable with a practice landing deep flair. i like the canopy, it fits what i want (soft openings, high performance, more flair at the end of a landing) and it does what the Atair website and Dan P continue to explain: it works.
i read every now and then on the boards here at DZ.com about cobalts not performing up to specs. i believe in the canopy that i fly, and trust it to do what it's supposed to do. when i deploy my cobalt 170, it does what it's supposed to do. to me, that's what the canopy is all about. i am still willing to learn, no matter what kind of canopy i fly, and that just might be the key here. i learned how to deploy and fly my 170. if my skills ever progress to the point where i decide i can handle the risks of a smaller main, i will 're'-learn that canopy too. cobalt, safire, stiletto, or what- still have to learn.
else, imo, the attacks on Atair / Dan P are pretty obvious. we are lucky Dan has decided to answer anything in the format and context these forums provide to us, much less be baited. it takes guts to put yourself out there for people, and i just hope Atair continues to provide the community with information, no matter how it is taken.
lastly, i also see the transparency of the stated legal implications of advice, also mentioned several times in this thread. if the goal was to show ignorance of the legal community, imo it has met with success. if attacks against Dan are going to take this new direction, please read up on (your) local slander litigation before continueing; it will make for a better post. As Dan said- i can provide you with a list of law books which will help. got my vector? ;)
in sincerity,
ouroboros

Username: ouroboros
palika goldstein

Home DZ: skydive chicago
License: A A37363
Licensing Org: USPA
Number of Jumps: 64

1st off since it has been writen it would be called libel.

Let me guess the reason you are supporting Dan is cause you personally talked to him and he told you as a beginer the cobalt would be a great canopy for you? Also you learned at a DZ that trained you on a ZP canopy at ~.8-1:1 If you research other DZs this is not the case most still use very large F-111.

Kelli

Post approved by my Legal consultant
Fly it like you stole it!