Mattbs4e

Colbalt Canopies?

my impressions are that the Cobalt is prone to having a rough opening shock if the skydiver's body position is not right come pull time.

that's an interesting conclusion based on them promoting the canopy as a very soft opening, gentle creature, one in which you can safely deploy head down (not a slam on you, just an observation).

I'm either going to be purchasing a 135 stiletto or a 135 Colbalt in the near future. Stilettos have been around forever and are tried and true, but I'm getting very interested in the Colbalt. Can anyone who has flown one please offer their opinions (good or bad) on this relatively new canopy. Safety, Openings(hard or soft? snivels?), Swoops, Flares, Packing, Problems, etc.? :)I think this topic has been led way off track,! focus people focus;)

The thread got a little off but I hope the conclusion is clear. There is no reason for a students first jumps to be on an elliptical. If they want to go to a tapered or slightly elliptical canopy before the get there own gear thats fine, but that canopy is not the cobalt or any other HP canopy. And regardless of design no novice jumper should have to load a canopy 1.2 or more to have it fly.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

focus people focus;)

Thank you. Being that this was my post to begin with, I'm glad someone is trying to wrap it up. I don't think anyone trully thinks in their heart that students should jump elipticals. It amazes me that so many of you have exploded onto this topic over this "he said/she said" crap. I stopped carring about the posts a few days ago, and I could not believe the shit that you guys have been tossing back and forth over this topic when I saw it at the top of the list still today. Honestly guys, we're all skydivers here, and one of the best things about this sport is the instant camaraderie we gain from our mutual respect for the sport we do and for the people we share it with.

Thank you to those who responded with thoughtful and insightful answers to my question. I greatly appreciatte your opinions on your colbalt experience. I would also like to thank Colbalt Dan for at least showing interest in my inquiry, no matter if his answers are scripted or not. If all of you read all of you're own posts though, I think you'll realize that your replies are pretty scripted as well, and you're not even trying to sell anything.

Let's be safe and sane. The nature of our sport is a dangerous one, no matter what skill level or wing loading we have. Obviously, I think we can all agree on that. I'm glad we're watching out for each other, but I don't believe there is anything wrong about anyone's approach to skydiving so long as it is thought out and done safely.

Meanwhile, I'll be keeping a sharp look out for those crazy students on those cross-braced elipiticals. One nearly chopped my head off the other day as he was coming in!!!

Blue Skies and take care.

The problem here is age old in skydiving. I remember when only a fool would fly a square canopy, reguardless of jump numbers. Then students started flying squares.
Of course there was the time that only very experienced jumpers flew ZP canopies now students fly them. There was a time when no student should use a BOC now no so clear. All students started staic line and only a fool would put a fist jump student out on a 60 sec free fall. Then the elipticals; one needed at least 500 jumps to jump one, now 100 jump wonders are doing fine on them. The bottom line is every few years things change and the last generation has a hard time with it.
The facts; not all elipticals are created equal, not all fly the same, turn the same dive the same or spin up the same. Why can't a manufacturer make an eliptical that is ok for beginer or god forbid student jumpers? They can and probably have, but there are sceptics who are going to call it bull no matter what. So give your opinion, but that doesn't mean that someone that disagrees with you is full of shit. Hell it may be you with the poopie drawrs you just don't know it yet!

They have and do make ellipticals for beginners and students. But that canopy is not the same one that is marketed for pro pilots. Its not the word elliptical that is dangerous its what the canopy does if a mistake is made.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Then the elipticals; one needed at least 500 jumps to jump one,
now 100 jump wonders are doing fine on them

Largest segment of the sport that died last year had around 300 jumps and a 1.5 wingload.

100 jump wonders should not be under high performance mains.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334