cpoxon

500-way - Perris? 2010?

I'd be interested in what the flight line will include for that. I can safely assume the DC-9 jet will not be one of them.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

kate Cooper-Jensen's Facebook status today reads,

"Kate Cooper-Jensen is looking forward to World Team '11 500 way and the 2 point 200+ way "warm up" sequential event January '10. Both in Thailand. Game on. Yes, that's the VGN!" (Very Good News)
B|

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

From Tom Jenkins

For Immediate Release

World Team Slated to Return to Thailand to Set New World Records

Bangkok, Thailand (18 March 2009) – The World Team Organizing Committee is pleased to announce its close collaboration with the Royal Thai Air Force to conduct an ambitious series of new skydiving world record attempts in the Kingdom of Thailand.

This project, known as the Royal Sky Celebration, is being conducted to commemorate the “7th Cycle” 84th birthday of Thailand’s King Bhumipol. The plans for the Royal Sky Celebration include three world class skydiving events staged over an 18-month period leading up to HM King Bhumipol’s birthday in December 2011:

January 2010: 200+ big-way Sequential Freefall Formation: Guinness Book World Record
January 2011: 444 (or larger) big-way Freefall Formation: FAI and Guinness Book World Record
December 2011: 999-way Mass Freefall Jump: Guinness Book World Record

In the Buddhist culture, with its 12-year calendar cycles, every 12th anniversary is a very auspicious occasion. World Team’s Larry Henderson explains that, “His Majesty King Bhumipol is the world’s longest reigning monarch and is greatly revered by the Thai people. Throughout 2011, the whole Kingdom of Thailand will be celebrating his birthday in many special ways. World Team is honored that the Royal Sky Celebration will be one of the principal 7th Cycle tributes to honor His Majesty.”

Collectively, World Team is the largest international team of athletes ever assembled to pursue a common goal. With its highly skilled skydivers from 40+ nations, World Team has been actively conducting skydiving world records since 1994.

World Team and the Royal Thai Air Force have a very successful track record of setting skydiving world records to honor members of the Thai Royal Family, including the current 400-way Largest Freefall Formation and the 960-way Largest Mass Freefall, both conducted in 2006 to celebrate His Majesty’s 60th anniversary of ascending to the throne.

The skydiving activities of the Royal Sky Celebration will be led by a highly experienced international cadre of big-way skydiving organizers and competition team captains, most of whom are veterans from previous World Team projects. Team members for each of these new events will be selected via a comprehensive world-wide evaluation process directed by World Team’s Kate Cooper-Jensen, in collaboration with the World Team sector captains.

World Team Dive Director BJ Worth expresses both apprehension and optimism when describing the challenges for the Royal Sky Celebration. “The 400-way required us to push the envelope on many fronts, and these new world records will be exponentially more challenging. Fortunately, World Team is ready to push those envelopes to the max. In the past few years, the collective level of big-way expertise has advanced significantly around the globe. That fact, plus our expanded use of high-tech equipment and the steadfast commitment of the world’s top big-way skydivers will allow us a practical opportunity to raise the bar to a whole new level.”

Additional information will soon be available on the World Team website (www.theworldteam.com).

Tom Jenkins [email protected]

http://www.theworldteam.com/10_11Skydives.htm

The World Team's webpage has been updated with a lot of new info, including formation designs, sector captains, dates.

The new design has a 60-way base with a 12-way star in the middle, and the 1st row of whackers for each sector (a row of 3).

To the base are attached 12 whacker sectors with 36 or 37 jumpers each.

Each whacker sector is made up of 7 rows of whackers (not counting the 1st row of 3 that belongs to the base).

The whackers rows are either (4-4-5-6-6-6-6) or (4-4-5-5-6-6-6).

But seriously, why are you reading this text description? Go see for yourself!

:)

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

In terms of payload, you may very well double that... I don't know if everybody would fit...

but even if they did...

It's a jet aircraft. Cruising speed is mach 0.77... I doubt the stall speed is anywhere near normal launching speeds.
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

From other locations on the internet. You be the judge. C-5 Galaxy

Stall speed at maximum landing weight is approximately 105 knots (120 MPH).

(~430k with full flaps and 15 degrees of bank) the stall speed was only 87 knots.

C-130 - 100-115 Knots - the stall speed for the much larger C-5 Glaxy are known to be 115 Knots

In terms of payload, you may very well double that... I don't know if everybody would fit...

but even if they did...

It's a jet aircraft. Cruising speed is mach 0.77... I doubt the stall speed is anywhere near normal launching speeds.

Some more info from the wikipedia entry:

Its Stall speed at maximum landing weight, zero bank, full flaps is approximately 114 knots (211 km/h).

The volume of unusable space in a C-5's tail assembly (aft of the ramp) is larger than the available cargo space of a C-130 Hercules.

Damn, that's big....
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

And just how long do you guys think it would take to empty it?

Possibly too long. I am not sure of the exact numbers, but I would say anything more than 15 seconds from the base exit to the last diver would make it incredibly difficult to complete in time, as the last divers has to make up possibly 2000 feet +/-.

And just how long do you guys think it would take to empty it?

Possibly too long. I am not sure of the exact numbers, but I would say anything more than 15 seconds from the base exit to the last diver would make it incredibly difficult to complete in time, as the last divers has to make up possibly 2000 feet +/-.

Not true! In Point Break, the great skydiving documentary, Johnny Utah waits 15 seconds after Bodhi exits, and he easily catches him. And it was only Johnny's 2nd jump.

And in Terminal Velocity, another documentary, Ditch exits a good 10 seconds after Chris, and she's only about 30 ft below the plane when he gets out the door.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

ALL TRUE but if they were really good free flyers they could do it easily

Maybe but then they wouldn't know how to dock or do anything bigger than a 3 way. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

C-5 is a big fucking bird. 36 pallet positions alone would easily handle 400+people and not to mention the areas that the pallets dont go, and the passenger deck. You could easily fit 500 in that puppy, probably pretty comfortably (sitting on the floor, with earplugs in).

You could drive a fire truck all the way thru the cargo area in the back, out the front without worrying about hitting anything.

Just dont sit in the back of the passenger compartment (the seats face the rear of the plane, so dont sit twards the front of the a/c) those generators will make you uncomfortably warm, and if you get diesel fumes for 8 hours straight, you'll start to get sick. Trust me on that one.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message