StreetScooby

Flat tracking in booties...

I've always heard bend at the waist and roll the shoulders to cup air, blah blah blah I'm sure you know the rest. All very good advice, but I found that bending at the waist has a tendancy to tip me foward into a dive. Speaking for myself. I was shown a long time ago instead of thinking of bending at the waist I think push my shins down, alot. Do all that other stuff like rolling the shoulders tucking the head so on and so on too. Just stand straight up out of your chair and put your toes about 12 or so inches in front of you and there you have it.

Squeeze your butt cheeks together.
I was having issues trying to figure out the flat track myself.
See how squeezing your butt cheeks together tilts your pelvis? Use that to help cup air.

I found the bending at the waist was putting me head down.
Point those toes and extend your legs as much as you can.

Learn to be happy. You can't be there for anybody else in life if you can't learn to be there for yourself.

I got really good at flat tracking with booties with alittle advice from my Irish friends.
First I roll my shoulders and have arms in delta track position. Don't bend at the waist, squeeze your butt cheeks. Put your ankles together and turn your toes out this makes the booties have alot more surface area. This method works great for me.

That's pretty much what I do, plus I cup my hands slightly with my arms glued to my sides. I track faster, farther and flatter this way than any other position. Being a late diver and frequently on the outer edges of big ways back in the day, this skill was required.

Nowadays, with team captains advocating tracking groups for the first stages of break-offs, you're having to match your tracking teammates to stay with each other until your predetermined break-away point. That, I haven't done before.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Nowadays, with team captains advocating tracking groups for the first stages of break-offs, you're having to match your tracking teammates to stay with each other until your predetermined break-away point. That, I haven't done before.

I can see that mediocre trackers benefit from tracking teams. I don't see that good trackers benefit anyone by being asked to hold back with the mediocre ones.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I can see that mediocre trackers benefit from tracking teams. I don't see that good trackers benefit anyone by being asked to hold back with the mediocre ones.

I would certainly hate to get cut from a big way because I got stuck in a lousy tracking group and left them in my dust every time! ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I would certainly hate to get cut from a big way because I got stuck in a lousy tracking group and left them in my dust every time! ;)

:|

If tracking team leaders were chosen on the basis of tracking ability it might be better. As it is, the choice is usually based on slot in the formation.:S

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have been thinking that the main purpose of tracking groups is to ensure that everyone in the group knows where the other members are rather than just having a mad dash.

While great trackers may gain more horizontal separation than when going in a group when using the tracking group method having enough horizontal seperation at pull time is easier to ensure for all jumpers.

one of the best ways to learn is to watch the best and try to replicate their moves. There is plenty of free Airpeed videos now posted on youtube.com - just search for "airspeed 4-way".

Here is one example.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cbq4EIZpIi8&feature=related

The way how you leave the formation and begin your track is very important. Watch how they do it
:P

P.S. Thanks Andy for posting the awesome new vids
:P please post more !!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have been thinking that the main purpose of tracking groups is to ensure that everyone in the group knows where the other members are rather than just having a mad dash.

While great trackers may gain more horizontal separation than when going in a group when using the tracking group method having enough horizontal seperation at pull time is easier to ensure for all jumpers.

I believe that is the theory. I'm not sure it works if the tracking leader is a lousy tracker.

Saving this one for Speaker's Corner :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Saving this one for Speaker's Corner :P

You're wasting your time. I'm afraid physics doesn't work the way economics does.

Physics doesn't work like other stuff. Physics is the top of the food chain.

Other stuff works like physics.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

With Tevas, I can push a flat track pretty well. Cannot do it with booties. I end up on a 15 degree downward angle. What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like you're doing fine. If you're lying flat to the relative wind, you're not moving too much. Flat track doesn't exactly mean flat to relative wind. You need an angle otherwise very little happens.

When I track for speed or distance, my body may be in basically a flat, position but it is most definitely angled downward. The fall rate will slow down but horizontal picks up dramatically.

Good luck.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

With Tevas, I can push a flat track pretty well. Cannot do it with booties. I end up on a 15 degree downward angle. What am I doing wrong?

If you can track, you can track with or without booties. A track isn't flat unless you're getting some kind of lift as you boogie. Experiment with what works for you. It sounds like you just need to get a little more lift in your front end--if you're already steep, you're halfway there. Push down with your arms and raise your butt and look where you want to go. Keep pushing down with your legs too. Once you get the hang of all this, turn those toes outward and you're sailing, man! Heck, I wrote an article on tracking and I still don't have all the answers. You'll know it when you're in a good track! B|B|

Is this your first time with booties? If so, that could be the problem.

Another thing that might help is to cup a little air as you turn away from the formation. I was playing around with this on a couple fun loads last weekend and on video it looked so smooth, like I was floating as I turned. Of course you don't want to dally around getting into your track, just save a little altitude as you turn. An old buddy of mine learned to track with his arms out in front--looks weird but it works. Safety-wise, though, I woudn't recommend it--you can't see down and to the sides very well. Okay, enough of my blubbering. You'll be fine.

Sounds like you've gotten a lot of great advice here. The thing that sets you apart from alot of skydivers is that you recognize the room for improvement.
Enjoy working out all this good information, and enjoy creating and improving YOUR tracking method.;)

Think of caving in your stomach when you bend at the waist. Do the reverse of what you do when you're making fun of your buddies' beer guts. And turn your feet out. Good stuff :)

I've always heard bend at the waist and roll the shoulders to cup air, blah blah blah I'm sure you know the rest. All very good advice, but I found that bending at the waist has a tendancy to tip me foward into a dive. Speaking for myself. I was shown a long time ago instead of thinking of bending at the waist I think push my shins down, alot. Do all that other stuff like rolling the shoulders tucking the head so on and so on too. Just stand straight up out of your chair and put your toes about 12 or so inches in front of you and there you have it.