gemini

08 Texas POPS @ Spaceland

Tell John Woo I said hello! Oh, and don't yell at him. It won't work. :D:D:D

Is Fred Goebel and Charl de Villiers also on it? What about David Armstrong?

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Saturday was some of the best fun I've had in years in skydiving. No POPS record (ceiling about 10,000 ft), but we did one-otter 20 ways, and then 3-otter 30 ways. Mostly completions, including a 3-pt 30-way from a little under 10,000 feet.

SOS also got a 4 (I think) point 10-way to make a new Texas record.

Unfortunately, the POPS suffered from a dearth of people, and got neither the number record, nor the sequential record.

But, ya know -- those jumps on Saturday pretty much made up for it! Kudos to all the captains and to Spaceland for being flexible and trying to keep us entertained. It was either jump or creeper races :P

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

oh MAN! That sounds like a blast! Wish I could've given y'all our weather, because as nice as it is to sit out in the sun, it's not particularly productive. Glad y'all had a great time!

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

The jumps on Friday and Saturday were spectacular!

The 60-ways had 2-0ut (which kept a few others from docking, but in their slots), 1-out, 1-out, 2-out.

The 20-ways and 30-ways completed as Wendy indicated all from less than 10k. Formations were flat and without tension. Included 2 30-ways each from 3 airplanes which was really a lot of fun.

The 63-way on Sunday morning did not go as well. After a weather hold due to clouds, we got to go to 18k and it looked to me like people over amped. We had a coupla' bumps that put people low and had a base funnel that slowed the speed which caused people to go low.

On the 2nd jump a 62-way, a pilot error caused the left trail to miss the exit and not make the formation. The formation looked good with the jumpers from the lead and rigt trail plane.

On the third jump a 62-way, people really over amped knowing it was our last jump. Had a few more low and the whackers were really moving around and floating.

Many thanks to all the jumpers who attended the event and to the captains Carey Peck, Tim Wieble, Scott Elmer, Harry Hopkins and Kimbo Godwin for a great event even with the weather issues.

Next we are all on to Illinois. Take it John!

Blue skies,

Jim

P.S. ...

Did not the 3-point 30-way executed from 9800ft. get categorized as a record? I had thought that it did.

In any case GREAT EVENT still!! And not enough kudo's could possibly be bestowed upon the organizers, hosting DZ, and captains especially. Thank you again Jim, for an absolutley fantastically put together event! B|

Blues,
-Grant

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

P.S. ...

Did not the 3-point 30-way executed from 9800ft. get categorized as a record? I had thought that it did.

In any case GREAT EVENT still!! And not enough kudo's could possibly be bestowed upon the organizers, hosting DZ, and captains especially. Thank you again Jim, for an absolutley fantastically put together event! B|

Blues,
-Grant

Illinois POPS did a 3 point 44 way in 2002. The POPS organization apparently doesn't recognize sequential records.

Illinois POPS 2008 (84 way) is coming up. A few openings left if anyone's interested.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yeah, but did you do yours from under 10k AGL? :P

Oh well.

Your date conflicts with Relative Work (family) obligations of the other kind, that I can not get out of, I'm afraid. Maybe see you in October though John. Good luck with your attempts in July! GO GET 'EM!!! :)
Blues,
-Grant

Oh yeah, just another quick "PS" to this...

I was aware that POPS PREVIOUSLY did not have any recognition of a Sequential Category. However, wasn't that just recently changed, or added? Wasn't this too, what the February Eloy, AZ event was all about? To get recognized, establish, then set the 1st recognized POPS Bigway Sequential WR?

This is at least in part, what I had thought!

Because Eloy POPS in Feb was unable to successfully turn a pre-declared sequential jump - the record then, there was not set.

My understanding though is that here in TX, with what we JUST did however - HAS now done this.

Because there was no officially recognized record category for this previously, does not mean that there is not one now though, right? Again, at least it was my understanding that this is in part what we were there (just this past Feb in Eloy, and now last weekend in TX) to do. To establish, then set - and have recognized this new record category.

I know too, that this is what all who were on that jump, and the 2 separate teams out of the 3 T/O's of that flight-load who pre-declared then attempted it, were certainly going for! FWIW.

Blues,
-Grant

Because there was no officially recognized record category for this previously, does not mean that there is not one now though, right? Again, at least it was my understanding that this is in part what we were there (just this past Feb in Eloy, and now last weekend in TX) to do. To establish, then set - and have recognized this new record category.

I know too, that this is what all who were on that jump, and the 2 separate teams out of the 3 T/O's of that flight-load who pre-declared then attempted it, were certainly going for! FWIW.

Good luck. We sent our 44 way video to POPS and didn't get anywhere.

So if you do, it will be in the knowledge that someone else did a bigger one first:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

[replyIllinois POPS 2008 (84 way) is coming up. A few openings left if anyone's interested.

which weekend?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants