jcunniff

Old video: 4-point 106-way

Hi, all... I had been enjoying checking out dropzone.com over the past day or two... it's been a while since I've been here, and the fact is, I'd rather contribute than stand by and just be entertained (or saddened) by what's been posted.

(I just read about Ahmed Kotb's death today, and even though I can't count myself among his friends, I had known him from various events, and will miss him at future ones.)

Anyway...

Here's a link to a video I just put up on youtube - the 4-point, 106-way at Cross Keys from 2001. There was a terrific talent pool. During this event, we completed a 100-way from 13,500 when the clouds were a little low... and the last dive of the last day, we did a big-way sequential that I don't think has been surpassed. The 2-point 118-way was bigger, the 2-point 139-way was bigger... but this is a pretty dive, worth sharing.

(Video by Skeff)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDR8Ti5RIlU

-Jack

I remember that. I was amazed when I found out it had been done. I did the NJ state record event three straight years, 100 way record in '97, a near-miss and broken arm in '98 and a 101 way record in '99. I was kinda disappointed that I didn't get an invite to that event that you got the 4 point 106 way, but it was a new organizer, whole new ball game, and of course, the talent pool went way up. Bill Scott from Skydive Monroe, GA was on it. He said he remembered seeing Roger Ponce float up slightly from the base to scan the entire formation with a giant smile. :D

And yes, I believe it is still the record.

Edited to add: One of my favorite jumps in the early 2000s was a Roger Ponce 4 point 33 way in Georgia, and a 19 way Star Wars dive that was way fun.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

While not the largest 2-point sequential, I think it's the largest 4-point sequential, no?

I think that "Larguest sequential" should be quantified as "Largest X-point sequential".

Skills-wise, I believe that a 4-point 100-way is actually more impressive to me than a 1-point 200-way or a 2-point 150 way. It is a challenge to reduce the tension in the entire bigway to the point where everybody can safely let go. Especially if you're a weed whacker anchor ;) (As I found out in my first 49-way at Perris P3)

Re difficulty/challenge...

Although it's not anything standardized, it's sort of fun to multiply the number of people by the number of points completed.

A twenty-way round, to a twenty-way in-out, though, is probably more difficult to complete than a straightforward forty-way... so you can't just say that a particular "number" that you get from multiplying people by points is a good way to compare difficulty of skydives.

It's fun to use that as a starting point for assessing complexity, though.

-Jack

And yes, I believe it is still the record.

What record? Largest sequential? That's been surpassed.

Well, I actually meant that it is still the NJ state record. Sorry for the confusion.

It's quite possible that it could be the largest completed 4 point sequential though.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban