blackout

Belly RW dead?

I disagree, it's not about the discipline, it's about personality types.

Top flyers will be attracted to top level RW and top level VRW.

Hacks will do both, and always do trash dives in whatever discipline they choose. In the beginner levels, they'll migrate to FF because it's harder to get to the 'competent' level, so there's plenty of other hacks to play with such that egos don't get bruised - everyone sucks equally. In RW, the talent pulls away pretty quickly and the rest then go try FF. In FF, that takes longer.

Also, for the hacks (the real FFers organize their dives just like the serious RWs) there is less organizing and just shitting around. You see the same thing in RW (boogie dives, etc), just not
to the same extent. But in both cases, again it's less pressure to perform. That's great if the goal is just to have a good time. I like it in little doses too.

Better divers in both disciplines will strive to get better at what they do. That means planning the dive and trying to get better. VRW is a great opportunity for FF, just like 4-way is for RW. This is how the rest of us have "our fun".

I like to do several disciplines, they each help me get better in all of them.

Frankly, I'd rather see the forums split along the Competitors vs 'fun jumpers' rather than across disciplines. I have a lot of discussions and topics in common with the VRW and 4-way types, than with the casual sitflyers and horny gorilla types in the two discipline forums.

I can't wait until I'm good enough to turn points in VRW. Then I can go compete in RW and VRW and have more friends to play and train with.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

VRW4 will really shake up the formation skydiving scene at world level and many artistic competatoors will be switching to formation skydiving through vrw4

It is going ot be really interesting!

:)

Well, one thing they've certainly done is make it difficult to watch video. I can't think of any other sport where they rotate the camera 180 degrees every few seconds for "artistic" effect. Ridiculous. I'm trying to watch and enjoy the action and the cameraperson keeps changing which way is up.

What is the point of that?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

nonsense - the sole job of a VRW camera guy is to get the shot of the complete formations (which can be very difficult since the grips might be inside a pretty tight formation). I'd wonder if a camerageek changes orientation during VRW would be solely for the purpose of matching fall rates, not artistic. If a cameraguy on a VRW dive gets 'artsy', then they should film a different discipline, as it doesn't help the team.

I wouldn't confuse VRW with Freestyle or freeflying. VRW is the true objective sport, the others fall into a different category, IMO.

I think that VRW will have some evolution and maybe requirements added to specifically call out how to fly some transitions. It's very friendly to 'creative' engineering since 4 people very vertical can can a lot closer to each other than 4 people on their bellies. I bet the two hardest jobs in fast VRW is likely the cameraman, and the judge.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

VRW4 will really shake up the formation skydiving scene at world level and many artistic competatoors will be switching to formation skydiving through vrw4

It is going ot be really interesting!

:)

Well, one thing they've certainly done is make it difficult to watch video. I can't think of any other sport where they rotate the camera 180 degrees every few seconds for "artistic" effect. Ridiculous. I'm trying to watch and enjoy the action and the cameraperson keeps changing which way is up.

What is the point of that?

Try disassociating yourself from up and down, and instead imagine the flyers floating freely in space and not falling. It might be a bit difficult to do ... much like those "magic eye" 3d images, once it clicks, watching a good freefly video becomes a bit surreal, especially with some good electronic music as accompaniment.

I honestly doubt a VRW judge would be listening to electronic (or any type of) music...

if the sport requires certain grips, and the judge judges by seeing those grips, try to guess what happens if he doesn't...
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

>watching a good freefly video becomes a bit surreal, especially with
>some good electronic music as accompaniment.

While that can indeed make for really cool video, it doesn't have much to do with judgable video. It would be akin to me flying under an 8-way team to get some cool video from beneath during a competition. It might even be judgable, but if I did it often enough they'd be looking for a new video guy.

But it's not a big deal. I have a feeling that freefly FS competitions will evolve similar to how RW competitions have - and a distinction between the fun and the serious teams will evolve.

>watching a good freefly video becomes a bit surreal, especially with
>some good electronic music as accompaniment.

While that can indeed make for really cool video, it doesn't have much to do with judgable video. It would be akin to me flying under an 8-way team to get some cool video from beneath during a competition. It might even be judgable, but if I did it often enough they'd be looking for a new video guy.

Ah I see. Different points of view ... I admit that I know next to nothing about how such videos are judged. I'm very new to the sport, and so everything looks very impressive to me, regardless of camera angle. :-)