rehmwa

Elan/Storm are something or the other?

Note the skyleague article. I don't follow it well but I think.....

Storm is declining as the national Open team and stepping to the female class only.

Elan is ending their project altogether or at least continuing, but also declining to represent in the open class for their country in lieu of female class only competition?

is that right? I think I got the Elan message confused anyway.

Either way for both teams, that's too bad, I was looking forward to watching their progressions head to head with open teams. Lots of talent in those teams and it would have been cool to confirm an all female 4-way pushing into the 20's (no pressure there) in open competition.

What are the Brits going to do?

can someone clarify the status for me?

I think this one example that can be discussed of whether or not having a separate female class is a good thing.

best of luck in any case to both groups

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think it all has to do with funding. From what I understood there are certain point averages that must be met to get BPA funding. Both teams made the 'grade' for female class funding but not quite there in the open class.

Because Storm chose to represent Britian in the female class, that left Elan to either fund themselves to reprepsent Britian in the open class or not compete....I think the financial pots have run dry.

I agree it's too bad, but as you know skydiving is expensive! Without financial support, it's hard to train like you would want to for a world meet.

Good luck to Storm in the female category and best of luck to the Elan team members as they pursue other projects!

Good summary - I understand now. I wish both teams could have found a way to make a go of it. Just the correspondance here from a couple of them indicates to me they are classy athletes.

Great talent on the teams. I hope it all works out.

This year, my team is going to make a serious effort to get sponsors and donations. I think it will be very difficult. I guess it's hard for even the best of them.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Just to clarify a few things...

When we formed the team at the beginning of 07, our goal was to go for the Womens event. Team Airkix / Elan were also continuing with their goal, being clearly stated on their website as aiming to be the first womens team to enter the Open Category. The position we then found ourselves in after the Nationals was a little unexpected!

The decision to enter the Womens event instead of the Open was not taken lightly. Yes it would have been great to be the first all female team to enter the Open Category, however we felt we owed it to the Womens category to a) be in a position to defend the title won by Airkix in 06 and b) push the average in this category even further.

Up until now there has always been a big gap between the averages scored in the female event versus the Open. Now we have the chance to close that gap further. The fact that both categories do the same draw makes the comparison easy.

In terms of BPA funding this is still not confirmed and it all depends on what support the BPA get from the Sports Council which I understand is being reduced due to the 2012 Olympic Commitment.

Anyway regardless of the funding we may or may not receive, we will be doing our best to be prepared for the World Meet. For 2 of the team, it will be their first World Meet experience! Can't wait!!

Sparky
Bodyflight Storm