mikkey

Opinions please

OK, here it goes: I have to make some major choices in regard to new gear involving quite a few $'s and would appreciate any feed-back and biased opinion ;).

Background: Returned to sport after 11 years. Had 210 jumps before break and about 10 since starting again and being fast-tracked back to B/C license, which I should be achieving sometimes this month.
I hate the student gear and looking for my own equipment. Second hand market here in Australia is flat for the type and condition I am looking for. So probably taking financial "plunge" and buying new gear.

I have narrowed my choice down to 2 good suppliers with decent support and looking at these 2 options at around the same cost:

1) Atom legend with either Sabre 2 or Sihouette and Tempo Reserve or:
2) Talon FS with Safire 2 and Airforce Reserve.

Size will be 190 sq.ft. initially at 1.1 loading (I am a conservative type) and probably downsize later to 170 sq.ft. Intended usage is "fun-jumping" probably mostly minor formation jumps, maybe a little bit of freeflying later on if I can figure that out.

So, anybody has experience and opinions about this equipment, I would love to hear it.
Thanks.

PS: and yes, I am also chatting with my CI about it, but still would appreciate peoples opinion of the available "combo's". :$
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

well, i like the talon fs, and that is as far as my opinion can really go. i havn't even jumped the talon fs, just tried it on, and looked at it. and it looks cool

and as for a tempo reserve, unless you get one soon, the are no longer built, they just have some sitting in stock.

couldn't tell ya anything about the atom or sabre 2.
or anything about the airforce reserve

so, i'm not a whole lot of good, other than the talon fs is a really nice rig.

later

Sabre 2 or Sihouette is a big difference. And 1.1 is still fast compared to student gear. I screwed my ankle up at about the same jumps at 1.2.

I like the Sabre2 in flight, have'nt jumped any of the other choices.

Have you looked at the used gear market in America? Score a used rig now and try out differnt things till you find one you like.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Purely out of curiosity (I jump a Silhouette & never jumped a Saber2), why do you think there is a big difference between the canopies phree? They're both semi eliptical ZP. What differences did you notice in performance?
As far as the Silhouette goes, people at my DZ recommended it to me a a good starter canopy, but they also recommended the Saber 2, so that which one is better really I have no clue. All I an say is that I have never been unhappy or scared shitless under the Silhouette (1.1:1). It does turn surprisingly fast if you want it to, however.

Sabre2 is full ZP and the other is hybrid. Different trim angles based on the trim charts I've seen too. The big issue is that they are fairly close in proformance (I'm guessing looking at pics and trim that the Sabre2 is a bit more agressive) the Sabre2 is full ZP and will have a longer life and maintain a more constant flare for the life of the canopy.

I've only jumped the Sabre2 so I can't answer the question. Note they don't make the Silhouette any smaller then 150 and they publish lighter loading numbers on it then the Sabre2.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I would try to stay away from the Tempo reserv if I were you... A premature reservdeployment while freeflying is always bad, but the Tempo is known to make it even worse because of its extremly hard openings. Anyway, if your in on the PdF Atom, why not use PdF´s Techno reserv?

As for the choice between the Sabre 2 and the Silouette, I would go for the Sabre 2 becuse of it´s durability and performance. The only reason I can see to go for the Sillouette is if you want to save a few bucks in the short run and get some easier packing.

Good luck with your purchase,
/Daniel

I would try to stay away from the Tempo reserv if I were you... A premature reservdeployment while freeflying is always bad, but the Tempo is known to make it even worse because of its extremly hard openings.

um, i don't think i quite understand. every reserve will open hard going 180 mph on you head. they are designed to open fast like that. if you have a reserve that opens slow, well, i think maybe you should consider a new reserve ;). because the chance of it coming out while on your head is very slim compared the the chance of a cut away, and would you want a reserve that opens slow when your at 500 ft, cutting away??

just my opinion though.

later

I've only jumped the Sabre2 so I can't answer the question. Note they don't make the Silhouette any smaller then 150 and they publish lighter loading numbers on it then the Sabre2.

Ummmm....My Silhouette is a 135....Have over 200 jumps on it...Flys great...and packs even better.... :)

The Tempo is well known to open EVEN HARDER then other known brands and is NOT recommended for freeflying for just that reason.

I did not claim that he should get a reserv that opens slow, but I do claim he should get one that has "normal" reserv opening charactersistics.

I hope this was a bit more clear;)

/Daniel

The Tempo is well known to open EVEN HARDER then other known brands and is NOT recommended for freeflying for just that reason.

I did not claim that he should get a reserv that opens slow, but I do claim he should get one that has "normal" reserv opening charactersistics.

I hope this was a bit more clear

what's a "nomal" reserve deployment?? as far as i know it is to have it open in 300 feet, or some amount of seconds (i can't remember, like 3 i think, but not sure). so how long do you say a "nomal" reserve would open compared to a tempo??

and i am also wondering, do you really think that a reserve will survive a head down deployment?? i'm not sure if they will. when they are tested, it is under perfect conditions, not at any odd angle, were all of the load will be on 1 side of the reserve.

now, i know i may sound like an asshole, and i don't mean to in any way, i'm just wondering what your opinion is.;)

later

So, if you think that your reserv would not survive a headdown deployment, you might as well stick with what opens the fastest?:o

Well, any TSO´d reserv should stand the heat, unless your overloading it or doing a speed-skydive. The big question is... Will you?

All reservs have slightly different opening and flight characteristics. Tempos are quite known to open really fast compared to a PD-R or PdF Techno. This is of course good in some situations and bad in others (for example an premature headdown deployment).

Another thing to think about are tandemreservs that are designed to open relativly slowly in case of a drougeless fullspeed malfunction (~350 km/h). A Tempo or any other reguler reserv would probably kill the TM and passenger.

I hope I made my opinion clear for you. I´am sorry about being difficult to understand sometimes. English isn´t my native language...

Stay safe!
/D

ok, i'm still sticking with my opinion that any reserve that comes open in a head down deployment will not make it through *IF* you are in an odd position or angle, and all the load is taken on 1 side. now i think any reserve would make it through just fine if the load is balanced out like they are tested.

and i'm still not too sure if anyone would make come our of a headdown reserve deployment weather it is on any type of reserve, pd, techno, raven, anything. and if you do live, you'll be hurtin;)

and yes tandem reserves are made to open slow, but they also have a minimum reserve deployment of 2000 (or is it 2500) ft. so if everyone was pulling super high, and geting thier reserve out by 2000 ft, then we could have those same reserves, but we all know not everyone will deploy by 4000 ft.

just my $.02

later

/Daniel

That's the first time I've ever heard that about Tempos. I've got 12 (maybe 13) reserve rides -on a bunch of different canopies. Most of my Tempo reserve openings were at terminal (long delays after CRW wraps). The fastest it ever opened was brisk, and that was still slower than the last ride I had on a Dash-M. Faster than my Microraven though, but typically about the same as the ride I had on a PD.

I wouldn't want to open any brand of reserve at 180 mph - but i don't think you're any doomed to a harder opening than with PD. I've jumped 5 different types of reserves - most more than once. The biggest difference I see in them was landing charactistics - not opening.

Now if you want a reserve that opens fast - the 1969 era conical I jumped - now that sucker opened fast at terminal!