JENNR8R

Interesting 2-Ways

I'd like to hear about 2-ways with one experienced jumper and one newer jumper... especially ones that would be more interesting for the experienced jumper than just being a target for the newer jumper to hit. :P

I'd also like ideas for 2-ways that would be interesting for two experienced jumpers.

p.s. I usually jump an Otter but would be interested in exits from other types of airplanes, especially tailgates.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

My favorite dive with two experienced jumpers is:

Both exit outside of the airplane. The front float gives the count and has the bar with the right hand. The rear float has the right leg grip of the front float with the left hand and the bar with the right hand. When they exit, the picture is a "stairstep" with two people missing.

Turn 180 degrees, stairstep, turn 180 degrees cat, turn 180 degrees cat, compressed with the right hand, compressed with the left hand.

If the two people can stay on level, it's a very fast dive.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

This one helped me alot. When I had 15 or 20 jumps and still on student status very experienced jumpers took me on two ways. Once I was able to fall stable we did no contact exits and follow the leader but with no contact. We worked on levels and staying close. We did that for about 8 or 9 dives. Next we did no contact and I had to "stay in place" while my coach flew all around me over me and under me and ran into me. My job was to stay in place. We did this for several jumps. Then we started in on the normal two way drill dives. I have to tell you that learning to stay in place especially when people are flying around and running into you is a very important skill when you are new and just learning. Additionally, my friend had huge fun flying around stealing my air and watching my reacations to being run into in the air. And of course there was some fruitlooping involved too. All this must work because I turned 17 points on a four way on my 70th jump. Our dive was O, M, E, 21. We would have done more points if I had not messed up the exit. We still got a great video though.

I'd also like ideas for 2-ways that would be interesting for two experienced jumpers.

I personally LOVE 2-ways w/ another experienced jumper... it allows me to somewhat keep up my 4-way skills without having a team this year. Anyway, some 2-way moves that I really like:

- cat-270-compressed - rotate opposite directions, back person will always have a "blind" 270.

- Sidebody-360-sidebody (basically 1/2 of block 7). Another variation is sidebody-270-opposite sidebody.

- Verticals... compressed-compressed, cat-cat, stairstep-stairstep, sidebody-sidebody are all good.

- Pure sideslide or forward/backward movements you would never get to practice in a "normal" dive, like stairstep-stairstep, but going forward and backward instead of turning.

- long sequences up to 8 points, or slot-switch/mirror 2-ways where you end up in reversed slots at the top of the page

My recent favorite:

Launch cat, 270 (back goes left, front right) to left-hand compressed. Stairstep (front person takes right leg w/ left hand), stairstep (back person takes right leg w/ left hand). Cat (back person facing out), 270 (back goes right, front left) to left-hand compressed. 2-way-360-2-way. Then back to the top.

8 points, lots of physical and mental challenge, and none of that "drill" feel that a lot of 2-ways tend to have. After 4 pages from 12,000', my brain was SHOT!

For jumps with newer people, I'll usually do similar moves, just shorter sequences... 4 points instead of 6-8. And use more 90-180 turns instead of 270-360. If you want to spice it up for yourself, you can do uneven turns... (2-way to cat, one person does 180, the other 360, or one does 360, the other 540).
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

My husband & I love doing this 2-way warm-up dive, which we named "Neal's Drill" after the DZ Manager at Skydance that taught it to us not too long after we got our A licenses. We've been doing this dive for 6 years now :o. He told us we'd get better the more we did it :D

Ok, so it's a linked exit, one outside, one diving from inside

do a closed-left-accordian

a right closed accordian

back to a round

do a left open accordian

do a right open accordian

back to a round

one jumper does a 180deg and the other jumper takes leg grips on them

then the jumper that turned does a 180deg back to a round

other jumper gets their chance...does a 180deg, and the first jumper takes leg grips

180deg back to a round.

It's a simple dive, but both partners get a chance to fly.

Blues,
Karen

Hi Jen how have you been?
This one is a good drill dive for a newer jumper. It makes you both work on fall rate, proximity, and turns.

Do what ever exit you want to the round, then just have the first person do 90, 180, 270, 360 degree turns then it's the other persons turn.

Repeat until break-off or dizzy which ever comes first. :S

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

This can be taken out of an otter or off a tail gate. Exit a sidebody piece. From an otter the outside person does a head jam to have both grips on exit. Don't try to out at 90 from the plane, go back at about a 45. Both turn 360 (like block 7) back to the sidebody grips. Then have the gripped person turn 90 to a cat. Both then turn 180 to the opposite cat (like the tail piece of block 9). Then turn 90 to a compressed accordian. Then 180 to a compressed on the other side(like the front piece of block 9). Then back to top of page. The piece is real stable out the door, so a great chance to do the first turn steep on the hill for experienced folk. For a less experienced partner slow it down and work on precise moves.

one of my favourites is

Close accordian
closed accordian (other side!)
closed accordian (1st side)
570 turn
closed accodian (other side)
closed accordian (1st side)
closed accordian (other side)
570 turn

Can really speed up with two experienced people so you end up only both lifting your chests to move from one closed to the next.

With a less experienced person it can help reducing grip fixation. They can't see grip for the next point from the point they are at and get more used to flying their body into the right space and just find the grip is there.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

I am a new jumper but this is a jump that doc and I practice routinely .. it really makes me work on matching fall rates and flying into my partner in crime.....
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Here's one for both more experienced:

1. launch a cat diving out of the plane.
2. Rear hops over front while front does 180, so the same guy is catting the same guy again.
3. Front turns 180 to sidebody the rear (who turns 90 to present sidebody)
4. Turn 360 like buddies
5. The person presenting the sidebody turns out to present cat. Now we have a reverse of where we started.
6. Back to top, but the roles are switched.

It's got memory, it's got verticals, it's got 360's, it's got a fun diving exit with a hop on the hill.

For a mix of one more experienced and one less experienced:

1. exit star
2. compressed one side
3. compressed other side
3. star
4. More experienced hops over to cat
5. less experienced turns 180 to star
6. repeat

In general, adding a vertical hop for the more experienced person I think is always fun
Team Website: www.rhythmskydiving.com

Thanks a lot Smooth. I think it would be great to get one of the many iterations of Good Vibrations in the air again. You, JaNette, Brian Voss, Kevin on video, and me. We'll see if we can break a 2.4 average.

In the meantime, keep sending those big way photos!

Thanks Alex,

Brian has some huge shoes to fill from Chromy! Chromy's an awesome coach and an awesome player coach.

Looking forward to next year, Brian is a great fit for the team. We're really fortunate to have him, and excited about what's to come.

P.S., I'll be sure to let Chromy know you said he was slowing us down. We'll be flying with him in the tunnel over thanksgiving! PINCUSSSSSS!!!!