What is inappropriate behaviour for a big-way organizer?

From the written rules at the recent TSR, the Illinois POPS record, and forthcoming World POPS record:

"NO SWOOP LANDINGS OF ANY KIND will be allowed on any jump. This INCLUDES camera personnel, organizers, and DZ staff. No maneuvers (such as spirals, S-turns on final approach, deep brakes on final approach, or turns over 90 degrees in the pattern) will be allowed."

So if a big way jumper violates this rule and gets kicked off the big way, they should be fair and kick the organizer off if he violates the same rule.

Since the organizer is responsible for the rule, one imagines that the organizer will abide by it.

and will anyone else say or do anything if the organiser doesn't?

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

From the written rules at the recent TSR, the Illinois POPS record, and forthcoming World POPS record:

"NO SWOOP LANDINGS OF ANY KIND will be allowed on any jump. This INCLUDES camera personnel, organizers, and DZ staff. No maneuvers (such as spirals, S-turns on final approach, deep brakes on final approach, or turns over 90 degrees in the pattern) will be allowed."

So if a big way jumper violates this rule and gets kicked off the big way, they should be fair and kick the organizer off if he violates the same rule.

Since the organizer is responsible for the rule, one imagines that the organizer will abide by it.

tash

If they don't speak up, they are part of the problem. I will take myself off such a load if somebody does speak up and nothing is done.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

tash

No violations at TSR or IL POPS, and none so far at Perris POPS, to the best of MY knowledge. So I can't answer your question.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hello everyone.

I don't visit this forum much as my main interests lie in other parts.

The subject pretty much says it all.

What would you consider inappropriate behaviour for a big-way organizer when they are at a dropzone who paid them for their services?

We recently had a big-way event at a DZ I jump at and I saw an (in)famous big-way organizer bust the beer line twice on one day to hot-dog it for the spectators.

The second time he turned too low, stabbed too late, bounced off the ground in his carve, lost control of his parachute and while he was sliding along his ass on the ground (across the beerline), his canopy flew into a picnic bench and the tandem students sitting on it, who were waiting to jump.

Luckiliy no-one was hurt, but when the DZO asked what that was about and mentioned that was the 2nd time that day for a beerline infraction, he blamed it on windshear.

I couldn't believe the nerve of this guy and how inconsiderate he was to everyone else, even the people paying him!

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

cya
sam

Dublin 2004 he was asked numerous times to not hook turn in landing areas. The final straw came when he hooked downwind into 3 oncoming canopies. Then proceeded to yell at them for landing and messing up his swoop. Anyways, needless to say, the following year it was a diiferent organizer at the event( BOB Holler) . The very sad thing is. BoB Holler was killed by the very arrogance of another big name jumper, swooping in traffic
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

...at a boogie, swooping over the fence that is in place to protect the spectators from the skydivers, 90 degrees to the accepted pattern at the time.

I think this was 2005.

Priceless!!! :D

Wonder why he hasn't even chimed in to offer his own defense??? Cuz there ain't no excuse!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Dude......that is nothing even closely resembling canopy control. 6 or 7 feet off the ground, damn near full flare, looks to me like he was trying to land right in front of the spectators and overshot (also known as The Asshole Maneuver) putting himself and them at risk. Same individual world famous for grossly inappropriate sexual comments toward pretty girls on the big ways. His sponsors if any must be proud.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

Same individual world famous for grossly inappropriate sexual comments toward pretty girls on the big ways.

He does that too? I had no idea. There are plenty of guys out there doing the same obnoxious thing, but for an organizer to do that is just ridiculously stupid. :S

Wonder why he hasn't even chimed in to offer his own defense??? Cuz there ain't no excuse!

Because apparently these issues aren't important enough to his sponsors or hosts to stop sponsoring him or hiring him. :|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Because apparently these issues aren't important enough to his sponsors or hosts to stop sponsoring him or hiring him. :|

They are important enough for a number of people to stay away altogether from his events or even if they are there, not take part.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

He reportedly lost his PD sponsorship because of how he was flying.

This info is, however, second hand from another PD sponsored jumper.

I hate to crap on the guy, but I really do think he is dangerous and unprofessional.

- Dan G

He reportedly lost his PD sponsorship because of how he was flying.

This info is, however, second hand from another PD sponsored jumper.

I hate to crap on the guy, but I really do think he is dangerous and unprofessional.

- Dan G

I'm surprised that he had PD sponsorship to begin with. Isn't that yellow canopy of his a non-PD product, a Firebolt?

I see this goes back a bit, but I have personal experience jumping with, flying with, being coached by and being part of a committee that hired guy wright to organize at a boogie I helped run.

This was May of 2007... He was quite professional, never landed anywhere he wasn't supposed to and was very easy to get along with. He was a very good role model at our event and the plan is to have him back next year i do believe.

It's unfortunate to read some of these posts and see pictures because of all the organizers i've seen and worked with (rw, freefly, etc.) in the past 3 years, he has definately been the most professional...well, second most.. max cohn is a pretty f'n good coach/organizer...