RWjunkee

Brit Women's teams

I've been reading on Skyleague that there are two British teams gunning to qualify for the world meet in the open category and they are both all female teams (I guess the second place team will represent Britian in the women's category??).

The two teams are first Team Elan (formerly Airkix) who are the current world champions in the women's event and current British national champions, and a second team (Perris Storm) that has a former Airkix member.

Elan is being coached by Gary Beyer and Perris Storm is being coached by Dan BC.

Which team do you think will win out? It seems as though both teams are equally matched as far as skill (at least from the limited video and scores that have been posted on skyleague) so it will likely come down to the team that has the better mental preparation which is a direct reflection of coaching.

Elan has some experience competeing at the world level, but is that enough?

Maybe this is more of a poll on coaching, but which coach will better lead their team to win? Dan or Gary?

Both are world champions (Dan in 4-way and 8-way and Gary only in 8-way) but as far as I know, Dan is the only one who has led any team to a world championship victory.

Just thought it would be curious since the British nationals are just a couple of weeks away.

In the end, it's probably a win-win situation as both teams will likely go to the world meet but to have an all women's team represent a country in the open category seems like a pretty big step for the sport.

who's it going to be?

RWjunkee

p.s. Everything that I know has come from skyleague so please correct me if I stated anything that is wrong or misinterpreted anything that was posted on skyleague.

According to the storm gals, they still aren't sure how the world meet representation will work, should the womens teams get first and second at the brit nationals.

My guess is the gold medalists will represent Britain in the open class, while the silver would represent for the women's class...but that's a total guess.

Either way, it's great to see :)

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

In the end, it's probably a win-win situation as both teams will likely go to the world meet but to have an all women's team represent a country in the open category seems like a pretty big step for the sport

I dunno - last years world meet score would have had the british girls in the top 10. (Which was better than the open team did by the way)

Its a tricky one to call. They are all good flyers, 3 of the 4 in Elan have world meet and pressure experience, and the 4th is an awesome flyer as well. (go T :)
Never try to eat more than you can lift

It will be interesting and I also wish both teams the best of luck.

I'm going to stick my anonymous neck out and wager that Storm will edge out Elan. My impression, not having had any personal experience with either coach, is that both coaches are equal for preparing a team technically but Dan will better prepare a team mentally for world level skydiving competition. Again, both teams seem to be matched with flying skills, so it's gonna come down to who is better prepared to handle the pressure.

I could be completley wrong (it's been know to happen :$ )so it will be fun to see the results.

Again, either way it's probably win-win for both teams.

What's interesting in the UK FS scene right now is the level of female involvement.
It kind of makes you think about the much debated all-female class when you look down the list of top AAA UK teams.
Out of 8 AAA teams doing the nationals, only one has an all-male line-up!

In other categories, ladies are well represented and as equally talented as their male counterparts.
If this was 100 metre sprinting, I could understand the reason for segregation. But as for 4-way, the likes of Elan and Storm, plus of course the talents of Eliana from Airspeed and current world Champion Natasha Montgomery makes you realise gender is as relevant to skydiving skill as colour of your eyes!
www.southparc.co.uk

... physiology has it's logic ... and even if you don't believe in physical inequity between male and female just look at the results:

the best female teams never scored above 20 average in a 10 round meet whereas open teams score up to 26 on avery fast draw... let's say 24.

I don't say that women are bad flyers, not at all !!! I just think that men have a natural advantage over women that makes it even more impressive for the girls who make it into top level teams such as Eliana.

I will of course take back my words if a female 4way scores up to 23...

Every sport in the world has made female classes, why shall we think they are ALL wrong!
;)

Patrick

oh dear...you've gone and riled up christy...better watch out ;) They don't call her "killer" for nothing!

i'll bet storm and elan do close to if not over 20 point averages this weekend. will be fun to see.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

..I just think that men have a natural advantage over women that makes it even more impressive for the girls who make it into top level teams such as Eliana.

I will of course take back my words if a female 4way scores up to 23...

:S been down this road before....

1 - physiology favors women in this sport - if at all - flexibility, body shape etc. If you want to talk psychology, then that would be an interesting discussion - psychology is much more pertinent here than physiology.

2 - I doubt we'll see an all female 4way team score super high. Play the stats - As skydivers become world class, they will get pulled to teams that are just plain looking for the "best" skydivers regardless of gender. No kidding. The numbers of skydivers out there state that these will be coed or all male teams - there are just more guys jumpings.

In other words, as an all female team approaches those kinds of scores, the top player or two will be recruited by the best teams already out there.

If we do see an all women team of ladies capable of 23+ averages (and more), then they did it on purpose and I'd call it a sexist effort - or, in response to sexist male teams that think, wrongly, that men have a natural advantage over women in this sport and they boxed out quality ladies because of this (to their detriment). Either way, it would be for the wrong reasons.

We aren't talking about ditch digging here. Or even who can hit a golf ball farther.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Can you believe this "blade" guy! Women's 4-way hasn't been around that long. Give it a few years. Women like Eliana and you and Natasha are already showing your mettle. Eliana is the best point in the world, hands down!

Very true! These wemen are impressive!! They outstand many many men probably most of them!

Even though, I just undeline the pure fact that no top team has more than 1 women and no all feamle team has posted above 20... which is far from 23.

It is true that female class is young and there is still time to see these team reach open class scores which I hope...

No offense meant at all, lots of respect for all !
Patrick

Latest story on skyleague......I guess I'm not the only one curious to see how this plays out.

http://www.skyleague.com/pages/news/showArticles.php?story=821

Let the games begin! Will it be Storm/BC or Elan/Beyer?? I know I'll be anxiously awaiting scores.

As far as male versus female in 4-way? I'm not sure there is a physical advantage either way (unless you're hauling around a big piece partner or something- then some extra physical strength isn't a bad thing), but I think women (as a general characterization) tend to be less aggressive and might hold back more because they 'might' make a mistake. Men more often have that 'go for it attitude'. Both qualities can offer benefits and detriments I suppose, so maybe having a balance of both is best.

I dunno....what the hell do I know anyway? I've never competed at that level. It's all conjecture and good old fashioned BS!

I just want to see who is going to win out--Dan or Gary..er, uh, I mean Storm or Elan. ;)

Rumor has it that XL came out to play and is beating both women's teams...
Puts an interesting twist on things. If XL is there to qualify for the World Meet 2008 slot then only one women's team will get to go to the World Meet and it will be in the female category (assuming XL stays in the lead). Adds a little more fire to the competition for the women now...

if it's truly a reunion...a couple of those guys aren't qualified to compete for the UK anytime soon at the world level after competing for other countries, etc.

Where is the score report? gah!

if it's truly a reunion...a couple of those guys aren't qualified to compete for the UK anytime soon at the world level after competing for other countries, etc.

They wouldn't be qualified to compete for the UK as is, but they can still win the world meet slot and then replace the members of the team who cannot compete at the world meet.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

They wouldn't be qualified to compete for the UK as is, but they can still win the world meet slot and then replace the members of the team who cannot compete at the world meet.

If the UK regs are similar to the US regs, they would have to compete at the UK nationals as a guest team... again, if its a real reunion as Andie mentioned.
Remster

Is that allowed in the UK rules? I know that the Aussie rules have specifics about the number of team members that can be swapped out before the team becomes ineligible to represent.

After the draw was made, it was realised that it had already been available on-line as the same draw was being used by another country's nationals. At this point round 1 had been completed but after a team captains' vote it was decided to re-draw and start over. Unfortunately there has not been much going on since then due to weather.
The "XL reunion" is Team Flightschool with Niklas Hemlin and Thomas Hughes (Fastrax) , John McIver and Steve Hamilton. We are a guest team in the "British Open Championships" not the "National Championships" so world meet eligibility will not be affected.
Some teams just got the "new" rnd 1 done, I just saw Elan post an 18 ( P-13-7 ) but now we have another weather-hold....hard to believe it's August !