JustChuteMeNow

Judging 4-way question

If on block 2 (Side body donut to side flake donut) an infringement occured due to a wrong grip on the donut will any points be awarded since technically no correct formation was built or will one point be given if the inter and the side flake donut were completed even though one person had an incorrect grip.

This question came up at our last meet and two very experienced competitors had two very different answers. No one was a 4-way judge and so I am trying to get some feedback since the rules are vague.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

Rules are pretty clear or that:

2.11. Infringement: is one of the following:
1) An incorrect or incomplete formation which is followed within working time by either
· a total separation or,
· an inter, whether correct or not.
2) A correctly completed formation preceded by an incorrect inter or incorrect total separation.
3) A formation, inter, or total separation not clearly presented.

zero points
even if the donut somehow grabs a right the grip after the inter it would still be zero

Thanks for the reply. I think the confusion came about with section 5-1.9.A.3 3 from the Sydiver's Competion Manual. If an infringement in the scoring formation of a block sequence is carried into the inter, this will be considered as one infringement only, provided that the intent of the inter requirements for the next formation is clearly presented and no other infringement occurs in the inter. However, since no correct formation was ever presented there should be no points awarded and I agree with you the rules are pretty clear.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

From your description, if the donut was wrong on top and bottom of block, then no points. If the side guy had a wrong grip on the top and but then had the correct grip on the bottom with a correct inter, then the infringement would be a 1 point ding. At least that is how I wuld look at it. Just a thought.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

If the side guy had a wrong grip on the top and but then had the correct grip on the bottom with a correct inter, then the infringement would be a 1 point ding. At least that is how I wuld look at it.

sure
it will require a quick team AND a good judge to see though :P

it will require a quick team AND a good judge to see though

I've actually done the exact same thing the first time I ever did a 2. We built a right hand donut and I took a left hand grip(I BS'ed my way out of it by calling it a 3 way pretzel;)). I switched my grip halfway through the inter, but at that point we had already begun the inter with the incorrect grip so as I see it the closing formation would still be an infringement due to an incorrect inter wouldn't it? This was a fun jump and not judged so we never really got into the scoring aspect of it.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

if you fixed the grip during the inter you would recieve the point for the finished 2.
If you spun the donut with the wrong grip the whloe time you would be busted twice. once for each incorrect formation. You would not be busted for the incorrect inter as it states in the rules above.