TalbertGK4

Scott Rhodes is the 2006 Leonardo da Vinci Diploma Awardee

Most people involved with competitive formation skydiving today don't know who Scott Rhodes is or why he is the recipient of one of the FAI's most prestigious awards. To keep it simple Scott was a member of the Golden Knights 8-way team for the better part of 15 years. I don't know exactly how long. He left before I ever made it. The below text describes what an individual must accomplish to be considered for this award. There are other ways to qualify that I did not post that refer to being a judge, or meet director. Scott was awarded the da Vinci Diploma based on his competition success. The attachment shows that Scott exceeded the requirements nearly 10 fold. To quote Charlie Brown at Scott's farewell party, "For the past twelve years (1985-1997) there has been one name synonymous with Championship skydiving; Scott Edison Rhodes."

Congratulations Scott.

"This Diploma was established by the FAI in 1970. One Diploma a year is awarded to a male or female parachutist who has : - obtained at least three times consecutively the title of National Parachuting Champion ; or - obtained at least once the title of Absolute Parachuting Champion and at least twice the title of Combined Champion at an international parachuting competition"

Most people involved with competitive formation skydiving today don't know who Scott Rhodes is or why he is the recipient of one of the FAI's most prestigious awards. To keep it simple Scott was a member of the Golden Knights 8-way team for the better part of 15 years. I don't know exactly how long. He left before I ever made it. The below text describes what an individual must accomplish to be considered for this award. There are other ways to qualify that I did not post that refer to being a judge, or meet director. Scott was awarded the da Vinci Diploma based on his competition success. The attachment shows that Scott exceeded the requirements nearly 10 fold. To quote Charlie Brown at Scott's farewell party, "For the past twelve years (1985-1997) there has been one name synonymous with Championship skydiving; Scott Edison Rhodes."

Isn't he the only person to win 6 World meet's as well? Or am I thinking of someone else?

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

that fucking rocks. thanks for posting this talbert. the first time i ever heard his name was when craig was talking about him 6 or 7 yrs ago - said that scott rhodes was the best skydiver ever...his role model. i figured he must've been pretty damn good to warrant that comment. ;):D

i haven't had the pleasure of meeting scott yet, so in the mean time, congratulations to him on an award well deserved.

take care,
a

Congrats Scott:

That's awesome...I remember you taking time to do a two way with me when I had 50 -100 jumps down at Billy World (The Old Atlanta Skydiving Center) in the late 80's. I've done a lot of cool stuff in this sport since then, but that little two way was one of my most memorable jumps.

Alex

Scott is my boss here at MSA Paraclete.

That's the way to do it, glad to hear the "good ol' boy" system is still in effect in some places.

It seems the cards are stacking towards me ending up at Bragg myself once again as soon as I get home, hopefully I'll get the chance to meet him in person, I've never heard a bad thing about him.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower