pkasdorf

Tetrahedron

On this year’s February Safety Check of Parachutist magazine tetrahedrons are mentioned as a solution for guiding landing patterns. As it is stated “A tetrahedron is a pivoting arrowhead that points generally into the wind. It doesn’t twitch with every vagary of light, shifting winds. The wind has to be strong enough and steady enough in a new direction to matter to a jumper before a tetrahedron will react. The tetrahedron doesn’t always face exactly into the wind, but that’s not very important. It won’t change every 15 seconds and cause pandemonium in the landing area, and that matters more. Tetrahedrons are bigger than windsocks. Jumpers can read them from much higher and plan downwind, base and final approaches that will set them into favorable landing direction.”

I would like to know where they can be available and if there is a sketch or drawing to guide the home making of one. Apparently they are big and heavy and can be made of lighter materials. Can anybody help me?

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Would you like a design for one or are you looking for just a general idea?

http://www2.faa.gov/arp/pdf/5340-21.pdf Shows a wind "T" and a tetrahedron is a variation of that, but I can't seem to find an FAA document specifying that.

BTW, is case anyone ever wanted to know EXACTLY how to build an FAA specified wind sock http://www2.faa.gov/arp/pdf/5345-27C.pdf.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I've been -pouring- over my pictures, but I don't seem to have anything! That's really weird. We have a really nice, large one at Perris and I can't believe it's not in the background of any of my photos!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I would like to see one.

I managed to do one of my approaches wrong a couple of weekends ago because I couldn't see our wind vanes clearly until about ~150 ft.

That, and the fact that the wind at the LZ was about 180deg different to the main airport windsock about 400-500 m away... (thank god for flat turns and student canopies)
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

The easy way to visualize a wind T: Take an airplane and put it on a pivot, so that it can freely spin 360 degrees. As the wind blows, the plane will turn until the nose points into the wind. A wind T is the same idea. It's just a big metal "T" with a vertical tail at the bottom end of the vertical "stick". The wide end of the T faces into the wind. The one at my home dropzone is very easy to read at opening altitude. You can see it in this photo, inside the white circle up and to the left of the jumper under canopy. The wind is blowing diagonally up and to the right.

Be careful about relying on a tetrahedron. Airports sometimes pin them in place to indicate the runway that you are to use. This may happen when a runway is temporarily closed or for other reasons.

One day at the DZ the winds were light and variable, so the DZO pinned the wind T to indicate the landing direction. The winds kicked up, the T wasn't unpinned, and an entire load took downwinders. Lesson learned, always check the windsock as well as the T.

The whole point of a tetrahedron is to have a structure that's heavy enough that it doesn't turn in light winds. It should only turn if the wind is significant. It should never have to be pinned down.

And if you're relying on a tetrahedron at the airport that may or may not be pinned down, build one specifically for the dz.

Jason