fenceline

Training from an "Alternate" point of view...

Looking for advice on training from an alternates point of view.

I have been flying tail most of my 4way experience and am comfortable in that position (as far as my skill set goes). As of late our team has reformed and I am now looking at flying as an alternate... why really doesn't matter. Any hints in approaching this would be great, as I feel I almost have more workload now in some ways keeping up as the fill in guy.

While I take jokes well:P, really looking for some semi-serious feedback and suggestions.:|

Jay

Really depends on what your team expects to achieve next season. Do you guys plan to train seriously (tunnel, coaching, meets ect.) or just to have fun making some quality 4-ways on the regular or semi-regular basis?
As a tail did you train on AA or AAA plan? If you only have experience as a tail on Intermediate pool, stepping in a new slot will definitely slow down you and the whole team. As an alternate you are not going to make a lot of team jumps (even as a tail), so there is a chance that the team will soon progress to a new level and you will become the slowest person. Discuss these issues openly with your teammates and make sure everyone understands the potential drawbacks. In addition, ask the team if they expect you to attend the meets and tunnel camps.

Sitting on the ground when your team trains or competes could be frustrating. Stay close to them, attend the team meetings and try to help them on the ground whenever it is possible (even if you are limping on crutches:P). And last but not the least, visualize hard.

;)

And last but not the least, visualize hard.

That last bit that Anton said right there is absolutely priceless IMO, I started out flying OC on a AA team, got a whole bunch of tunnel time in that slot and flying there rarely, if ever, did I get to see what the tail was doing. So when I moved to the Tail slot I had absolutely no experience or knowledge of what went on back there but I managed to keep nearly the same pace because when I made the switch I spent hours and hours visualizing working everything from the back piece, the mental aspect of flying Tail just clicked, and I think that made a big difference in the short amount of time it took for my flying to catch back up. Overall personally I think if you keep your flying sharp, even if its not by doing 4 way with your team, and do a lot of mental work in all the slots you should be able to keep pace fairly well. Please do take my opinion with a grain of salt though as I have little actual team experience, most of my 4 way has been done in tunnel camps, doing 4 way on a consistent basis isn't something that comes easy in Colorado, especially when you travel for work non-stop;)

good luck

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Excellent points about "visualizing hard". I replay skydives in my head on the way home from the DZ. And, like GQ Jumper says, you don't necessarily have to do 4-way with a team. I do fun 4-way with a few friends a couple times a month and that seems to keep us all in the game. I just email them before the weekend. Avoid garbage loads and only do big stuff if you can practice your 4-way skills - like flying tail on an exit chunk and turning points in the base.

Blues!
--Ed B|

The goal is coaching and tunnel with meet attendance, with a few longer term goals as well. Still playing with the idea of whether or not I want to be an alternate on the team. Not many people around where I am that want to train that seriously but how serious can I train in that alternate position. Its not my ideal situation, more trying to see how I can make it work for my own improvment.