elightle

Michigan Suit Solves Lightweight's Floating Problem

I just thought I'd put in a plug for Michigan Suits. (Yes, I know, do that in the Gear Review section - which I already did).

But I wanted other lightweights to know how much my Michigan Suit has helped with my floating and overall control. I still have to wear lead but not as much. And I get positive response when I move. On fun 4-ways I like to fly outside center and set things up for the group. I can turn on a dime now and adjust altitude easier and feel totally in control.

That's all I wanted to say.

Blue Skies!
Ed Lightle

Matt,

Are you a lightweight and was your suit cut to fit tightly and was it made of the slickest material possible with cordura booties?

I have to admit that I had my seamstress narrow the booties a bit by folding the material down on both sides and running a stitch over the folds. It streamlines the bootie without shortening it.

Blues,
--Ed

Ed,

No not a light weight but whe npeople ask about a suit and they are a light weight I would like to know more than "go slick and add lead" as the answer.

I was in Xenia recently and had the all Black Tetris, and the black Tetris with gold and white stripes in front of the grippers. I think you where ther at least one of those weekends organizing (?).

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Are you a lightweight and was your suit cut to fit tightly and was it made of the slickest material possible with cordura booties?

I'm glad you like your suit ed... but part of the reason it works so well is because it has been cut to fit you... (as well as the ZP nylon front and cordura booties ;))

personally I like my bev suits (but they've also been made for me specifically...) ;)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Sorry I missed ya, Matt. The RW crowd is getting pretty thin at Xenia. I was on a 101 jump but the guy who organized it made it a little too difficult for a couple of the jumpers. Maybe we'll cross paths again.

As for what works and what doesn't with jumpsuits, there are as many solutions as there are body types. I was just happy to find something that worked for me.

Blues!
--Ed :)

I have 2 Tetris and 2 earlier Mich Comp Suits.
All 4 have different jobs. 1 is a nylon front and spandex fore arms for real fast falling belly jumps, 1 is a poly front and spandex arms for slower jumps, these are the two older suits. My 2 Testris, 1 is a poly front spandex arm full on Tetris Comp for RW and I do tandems and coaching in it. The other Tetris has sleeves built in for a little slower fall rate and is team colors.

The 101 jumps seem two work real well for less experienced like this;

Exit a Meeker, the centers drop the arm grips and switch to a non-cheated cat with the jumper they have their right hand on. One pair drops the left hand grip on the center and the whole thing elongates to a non-cheated cat. One of the centers keys a dropped grip and ALL drop the same grip while the ends close the donut. once closed they just reverse to the cat again. Viola 1-0-1!

But for your skill level every thing should show complete seperation and a 540 should be in between each number;):P.

Matt

Viola 1-0-1!

Speaking of 1-0-1 jumps... I've finally had the time to incorporate the 1-0-1 jump y'all did into a video...

though it is tacked on the end... as um... comic relief for the part I played in the jump :$:D...

I'll send you a link once I get it uploaded... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I have 2 Tetris and 2 earlier Mich Comp Suits.
All 4 have different jobs...

Good idea about keeping a different suit for competition and others for bigger formations. I'm learning this with my super slick Michigan Suit. I'm going to have to get a slower suit for bigger ways. I don't have the recovery with the slick suit.

Blues!
--Ed

With my slick suit I need a drogue to recover if I go low or fall off thebase due to a funnel.:$

Suits are mechanical aides and every mechanic needs a box full of tools.

Matt

How true, Matt. Kate Cooper says she keeps a "quiver" of suits, along with a weight belt for base work and a long-sleeve T-shirt to wear over her suit for flying on the outside of big-ways. I'm gonna buy me a long-sleeve T-shirt when I go to her big-way camp next May.

Blues Always!
Ed Lightle B|

I have even used a "baggy" freefly jacket to add drag on top of my slow fall Tetris, I can drop down to about 100 mph with that and a recovery body position.

That combo made for a very good set up when working with light and tall (110 to 115mph) students in freefall last weekend.

I am designing my next Tetris and will order it probably within the week (providing no OTHER unforseen finacial situation arrises).

Matt

Yes he does!

I just ordered a Slow Slow suit for light weight AFF's, Coach Students and some tandem use (extra arm material and the booties create a lot of flying power when a tandem Student gets exited, though I normally just use the legs any way).

So now I have a nylon Comp suit, suplex Tetris with spandex forearms, a suplex Comp with spandex forearms and soon a suplex tetris with built in "sleeves" for a slow fall rate.

I have a rang of 125 to 150 mph in the nylon wit hout arching too hard (fairly firm though)

120 to 140~ in the suplex and spandex arms.

110 to 130 in the Team Tetris with sleeves I already have. The new Sleeved model will be slower as it will have a little more sleeve.

If that doesn't cover it there is also the freefly jacket on top or the baggy sweet shirt!;)

My new Tetris just came in and I must say Mike did an awesome job!

It is a little baggier than my team slow suit. I like it alot and can't waite to put the beer jump on it!

Again Mike made it look like he matched the suit colors to the rig! So now I have a quiver of suits that look like they are all built from the same color batch.

I just got a new Tetris too. It's gorgeous...he did a great job. It is not quite as tight in the legs and butt as my previous Michigan but we'll see how that goes. I need to try some 4-way and see how my fall rate is in it. The suit was fine for bigger-ways this past weekend.

Mike builds great suits. I love his grippers and booties!

I know what you mean. My slick Michigan Suit works great on small formations but I'm gonna have to get a slower suit for big stuff! I'm sure Mike Michigan makes slow suits too.

Blues!
--Ed :)

Mike Michigan absolutely makes slow suits. I own one. I have the worst body shape for a skydiver (short and fat) so I fall like a rock. Enter Michigan Suit...I still need to work on arching less but I no longer need to wear a t-shirt over my jumpsuit to be able to fall without having other bend themselves in half to stay with me.